'06 950 ADV keeps having a heart attack

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dasgaswolf, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a strange one, boys.

My '06 (carbs) -- relatively fresh at 18,000 miles -- enjoys inexplicably giving up the ghost on me during a ride.

Here's the scenario: Putting along (or zooming, it happens at any speed) and the motor will simply stop. No sputtering, wheeze, or cough. Just an instant motor cut-out. No loss of electrics and the backwheel doesn't lock up (although it will if I try an immediate bump-start -- there's no bump starting this bike.)

It has nothing to do with the side-stand cut-off switch.

I think there is something going on with the ignition. When the bike cuts out the motor will usually fire back up if I wiggle my key. But there's nothing scientific to how I wiggle it -- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (I'd say it works 75% of the time). But I cannot recreate the engine cut-out by wiggling the key, only restart the motor. There is nothing obviously wrong or out-of-place with the ignition barrel -- but as you know it's a pretty neatly packaged little thing and doesn't reveal much about its inner workings.

What's strange is that the motor doesn't "fire up" in the conventional way -- instead it instantly resumes its last position in the powerband. It's an extremely uncomfortable and dangerous feeling, rocketing from a coast to 5,000 RPMs, and I'm sure it's hell on the driveline.

This bike has been well maintained by professionals. Up to date on all TSBs.

I submit myself to the Orange Crush for wisdom and guidance!
  2. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. dasgaswolf

Oddometer:
    The HOW! I forgot about that site!

Thank you! :D
  4. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    Ignition switch is the nice kind that you can take apart to clean.
  5. CamelBill

CamelBill Ride It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine has done similar at times, have had good luck soaking the ignition switch (down the keyhole) with electrical contact cleaner. Carry a can in your tankbag until you are convinced the problem is fixed:deal
  6. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    The wires coming from the ignition (only 2 wires do anything on my 990) can bind at the neck of the frame, and break. I had wires break INSIDE the jacket, invisible to me. Replaced the 2 conductors for about 16" from back of switch to connector. Then monkeyed with making sure they wouldn't bind up again...
  7. TA-Zappa

TA-Zappa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would also check the big plug at the starter relay. Mine 05.5 (2006?) did almost the same except the "return to previous state", it would stall like someone pulled the plug and not start again. Sometimes wiggle the key would work (maybee 10% of the times), just sitting an letting things cool down worked sometimes but in the end it was completely dead.

Changed the start relay and connector and it's been good for the last 10000km.

The connector was badly corroded and same for the starter relay.

Here is a link to an offical KTM document with spare connectors, I guess the one I used was FIG AE partnumber 000700000AE not sure but it's description is Starter Relay...

http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/TechBull/SpareConnectors.pdf

Good luck!

Zappa
  8. dasgaswolf

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the tips.

Update -- I decided to see if a harmless shortcut would work and sprayed the inside of the ignition barrel with electrical contact cleaner. Seemed to do the trick. No issues since.

At some point I'll get inside there and clean it properly, but for now I'm gonna ride.