1971 Cl350 3 piece oil ring set help

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by trent1059, Jan 4, 2010.

1. trent1059

trent1059 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I received my new rings tonight and the oil ring is 3 pieces. The 1st and second rings are fine I just dont know how to install the 3 piece oil ring. it has what looks like2 thinner regular rings a wavy thin 3rd piece.

Any one have installed these that can offer guidance I would appreciate the help.
  2. Quickv4

Quickv4 Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer:
    Dickinson, Nort' Dakohtah- Orig. from Wiscowsin
    You make a nice sandwich with them like this...

Alternate the gaps so they are eveningly spaced around the circumference of the piston so they do not get close to lining up, and your golden! :1drink
  3. trent1059

trent1059 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome thank you.
  4. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Often you have to put the wavey one in first because some oil rings actualy ride on wavey part. Make sure the ends of the wavey part are not overlapping, they should just butt up to each other. The wavey part basicaly is just a spacer and gives the rings support.
  5. trent1059

trent1059 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you guys are great, sorry for the dumb questions, I work on learjets and modern jet engines are a little different that 1971 motorcycles.
  6. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am not sure on the 350 but look into this before you install them. Some three piece oil rings have different thin rings. One is a scraper to pull the oil off the cylinder. There may be a specific way they should go on.

Marc
  7. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    make sure you stager all the ring gaps. Don't want the thin rings gaps matching up and definately not with the wavy ring. As stated. often times the wavy ring has little feet on it for the thin rings to ride on.
  8. trent1059

trent1059 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok top 2 rings went in well, when it came time to put the 3 piece oil ring in it does not seem to want to fit. seems the 2 thin rings and the wavy ring are too wide to fit in the groove. i have cleaned the groove out and it is clear.

Any suggestions?
  9. showtime45

showtime45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's like Irutt said. There are shoulders on the wavey one for the the thin ones to set on. If the thin ones aren't on the shoulders it get too wide. You have to look real close. Probably need to put the wavey one on 1st so that the others will set on the shoulders.
  10. trent1059

trent1059 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    one set fits both pistons no problem< the other set doesnt fit either, maybe they sent the wrong one, the box is in japanese so i dont really know. Doesnt really matter now as i just broke the second ring on one piston and need to wait to get another set, hopefully i can find a set to get shipped quick.

thanks for the help.
  11. BrianK

BrianK F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer:
    Very important with respect to the "wavy" middle spacer:

Open ends must abut - not overlap.

Open ends must point down.

Thus you will have both open ends touching one another, with the open ends of each pointing down - meeting each other to form an upside down letter "W."

Check this. Then check it again. Then once more!

BTW, there may be a top and bottom to your rings - instructions should say. In general, compression rings more likely to be like this than oil rings. Top may say "top" or have a dot or other marking. But again, your instructions should be looked to for the definitive answer here.

Rings are "simple," but have to be done just right (else multiple times...) - and we've all screwed 'em up, so don't feel bad.

Good luck with your project.
  12. trent1059

trent1059 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    instructions are in Japanese... I have looked at this set every which way and it has to be the wrong set, other set went in OK. This set is just not working. i guess i got lucky with respect to the top and bottom to start with.
    i don't feel bad about breaking the ring, I do feel bad that I have to ask so many questions, An A&P mechanic with 30 years experiance should be able to figure out a honda....