I look inside myself and see my heart is painted alpine white

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by HoBeau, Dec 19, 2013.

1. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Sackin Black. I can’t help it. I know. You are welcome to dissuade me. It’s just paint but I really love the look. Yes, I use it as a dirt bike. Winter solstice is upon us and I’m putting together a project parts list for my 84 R80 G/S' 30th birthday in February; free advice along the way is most welcome.

[​IMG]

I’m the 3rd owner of this bike - it came to me a couple of years ago from a self described older gentleman in MI: the result of Sunday night tequilas and ebay - an expensive but pleasurable combination. I’ve done a few things not pictured or apparent: charging upgrade to motoelectric, solo seat, steering head bearings and fork boots, Flyingpot side stand & eBay marketing genius bash plate. The motor is strong with 37k, not looking to mod it. Rear shock is Wilbers (which someone pointed out had been mounted inverted (fixt)) not interested in more travel or modern fork swap (PO installed Wirth progressive springs.)

Here are some examples of where I’m going:

1 [​IMG]
    2 [​IMG]
    3 [​IMG]

I especially like the top bike; the turquoise really sets things off. And the lobster rocks.

I’ve got a painter up the road a bit who’s good with stuff. The idea is take him the tank for alpine white (along with $$$ sticker kit) and a few bits for accents (probably do a straight rip off of crash bar color on bike 1,) get some new plastics, cover up the seat and promptly drop it.

Other items I’m interested in are bigger front rotor, triple tree upgrade, steering stabilizer and fork brace. Exhaust is showing some signs of oxidation but can easily tackle that later. Some proper knobs and it’ll be ready for a run in the mud - yes, I do see the senselessness of it all.

The paint choice is pretty ez, and dude knows this space. We are going Alpine White 146 of course. The only thing interesting here is that black doesn’t make a showing on the chart. Not factory?

Paint - http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_color.htm
    [​IMG]

Let’s move on to sticker shock - must be some precious ink - looking for all three as I understand 84 PD have Gaston’s sig and we share similar inseams though most certainly not riding ability

$tickers http://www.bamw.co.uk/parts/decal-stickers.html
    [​IMG]

Better sticker price, but sicker sticker?
    http://www.boxxerparts.de/product_i...t-for-gasoline-tank-R-80-G-S-Paris-Dakar.html
    [​IMG]

Lobster Seat is Sweet!!
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17614966&postcount=402
    [​IMG]

Sam Wainwright - looks like there are some good plastics available. One thing I do want is a touch more wind pro. The bike came with an adjustable windscreen but I wasn’t a fan of the look. Most of my ride days include 90 mins of tarmac in the am and again when I’m really thirsty for a beer. City life - I love it but you do make trades.

Wind Deflector
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51623&rnd=04302013
    white wind screen http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21923507&postcount=799

[​IMG][/IMG]

Mud Guard
    http://www.boxxerparts.de/index.php?cat=c148_Cover---Mudguard.html

[​IMG]

Side covers? Reading suggests the G/S PD was stripped of batt box covers but not looking for concours.

http://www.boxxerparts.de/index.php

[​IMG]

Other ideas?

More to come....
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. isdt BMW

isdt BMW willserv@aol.com

Oddometer:
    I bought a 78 R100S Motorsport new, still have it, made my R75ISDT replica, both are alpine white with motorsport stripes.
    white is right - sack the black
  4. Pokie

Pokie Love, build, ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Ok, it's not a G/S, but I do have the city-cousin 80ST... I wanted white but didn't want a white-white. I love the old Dover White on the Slash 2's but, it is a little too creamy, so I looked through old BMW colors and came up with Chamonix White from the 2002 series...

[​IMG]

So I found the new 2-part SprayMax rattle can, painted it and pinstriped it (using tape, which is a real pita!) and then clearcoated. Not perfect, but good enough for the ole girl!

[​IMG]

Me likey!

:D
  6. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    Preston Petty "Muder" & Paris Hilton sticker FTW!
  7. elmontanero

elmontanero Practicing...

Oddometer:
    Not quite the same... painted my R1150gs Adventure from Black/yellow to White/Blue... Love the change, get loads of complements on it. If you like it, do it.
  8. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Alpine White, which years of PD had the white rear fender originally, if any? I have one here that will be subject to some repainting, and I see PDs with both matte black and white rear fenders. The owner is leaning toward white (currently black, it's an '85).
  9. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my humble opinion, white Airheads are the sexiest.
  10. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Pic of that white/blue?
  11. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sgman

You are obviously a man of good taste and pure heart.

[​IMG]

Keen to lace up some black rims tho.
  12. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    So, I need to get me some Alpine White to paint the high-fender I'm putting on my Alpine White '89 R100GS. What's the process for getting motorcycle paints? I used to just go to the auto paint store when I was in to cars. Haven't tried a bike yet.
  13. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Its the same process. I think there are many colours called Alpine White (alpinweiss) but I believe the auto and moto colour for BMW is the same formula for the era.

Re: Anton's question about the rear fender, I could be wrong... but I think the PD's always had a painted fender, the basic G/S had a black fender. Greg H may be a resource for the definitive answer.
  14. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at pics, it makes sense to me that the from-factory PDs had white while the ones that were modified afterward usually retained the black fender that the non-PD always had.

I have a PD here that needs fenders painted and I'll be throwing a bunch of my own white parts in with the painting as well. Sounds like there's going to be a run on Alpine White paint.
  15. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I kinda agree on white. The prettiest bike I ever had was an 89 Transalp--the styling grows on you. It was a large flake metallic white.

Got me to thinking that if/when I have time to paint my R90/6, I'll go white, too. (Makes sense in hot desert climate, too.)
  16. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    The only other scheme I've really considered for my '89 GS is a tan Afrika Corps mottled camo. I think it would be scheist hot.
  17. DK Dan

DK Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also a huge fan of the alpine white PD tanks and recently I got very lucky by purchasing a PD tank from a friend and long time R80 G/S owner. The tank was stored for years as he used the 17 litre and also had the 43 L Acerbis. The 3-color stickers, roundels and fuel taps are new. The paint and Rahier signature is still the original and in good shape although the signature is a litte faded but for me this is just a bonus.
    The tank is not clear coated from factory so I think I'll keep it like that even though it would probably protect the signature and maybe give some UV-protection to the 3-color stickers which are prone to fading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming that tank is going on a shelf somewhere and not on a bike that's going to get dropped in the mud!
  19. Mendodave

Mendodave Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went Dover white, and I like it.
    especially dirty!

[​IMG]
  20. Ras Thurlo

Ras Thurlo Desert Lion

Oddometer:
    on this vibe you could do a lot worse than something like this:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]