GS-LC - problems

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by atg, May 5, 2013.

1. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The purpose of this thread is to have a space to share ANY problems and difficulties and its eventual solutions that we are experiencing with this new and great bike !

My GS 1200 LC arrived 11 days ago. So far I have only riden 480 Km. Yesterday, the high beam switch stopped working after I flashed high beams to alert an oncoming car. It got stuck on high and the button just felt as disengaged from the internal switch.

I opened the left "box" where all switchs are mounted and found the internal high beam switch stuck in, not returning to its off (out) position. After I played with it a little, it returned to the off position but its still grabbing and not returning at once to its off state promptly. At least I got to switch the high beams off.

Tomorrow morning I am taking it to the shop. Will see what the mechanics tell me.

I have seen the same thing happening to the light switch and "accelerate" switch on the cruise control on a demo bike at the dealership where I purchased it. Apparently, this is a mechanical problem that occurs inside the switches as they seem to start grabbing once pusshed in.

I wonder if anyone has experineced this and what where the solutions given under warranty.

I am affraid we will have another recall..

Andre
  2. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today, just a few hours after I started the topic I went for a ride. Switched the hot grips on and the button started to get stuck as well... Doesn' look good !

Has anyone else been having problems with sticking handlebar switches ? Am I the only lucky one ?

Andre
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    My problem is that BMW hasn't yet started building the bike I ordered. What's with that? :lol3
  4. nba74

nba74 n00b

Oddometer:
    Switchs problems seems to be a common problem with others bmw models as well, mine had a turning switch failure at 1000km and sometimes the starter switch get stuck too and you need to push it a bit harder. A friends bike got all left console failure after a wash... So sooner or later I hope that a recall is needed.
  5. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went to BMW's shop today and their vereduct is to exchange both left and right switch consoles ! Unfortunatelly there are none available in Brazil and they will have to be imported from Germany which should take 20 to 30 days.

Once warranty was aprooved for an exchange, we had it opened and spray some WD 40 inside the switches and they all came to life again !

The mechanics do not know the reason for this type of filure but suspect that it may be water related. Pesonally I don't beliebve so as the "grab effect" seems to be purely mechanical. In any event they did advise me that, prior to the exchange i would better cover them with a plastic foil before washing the bike.

It also seems that they had similar problems with the K 1600 that use similar switches.

Andre
  6. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I experienced a stuck horn. It made me seem much angrier than I was. then I kept riding. it was great
  7. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    And BMW switch gear used to be the gold standard on motorcycles...
    sarapicos likes this.
  8. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes ideed. I just bought a pristine '06 RT with very nice switch gear and integrated reservoirs. It's too bad they changed.

I do like the switches and reservoirs better on the LC than on the K1600.
  9. Japanviking

Japanviking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same issue with the high beam switch. The new type of switch gear seems to be fragile. I also noticed that a few of the other buttons feel stiff after the bike has been wet.

This is probably a generic issue with the type of switch they use. Not sure it will be better with a new set of switches. I guess BMW will need to change the design if they end up replacing enough though.
    Karambisi likes this.
  10. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a luxury problem shortly. The ESA button didn't respond during a drive, but the modes worked. It happened during a ride and the next day everything was fine again. It could have been me doing something wrong, but not quite sure.
  11. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I truly believe that if enough people complain with the dealers and request that the defective parts are exchanged under warranty, BMW will do something about it !

As always, the human's body most sensitive part is always the wallet...

André
  12. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you notice if it may be water related ? Have you washed your bike just prior to this occurring ?

Andre
  13. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Water Boxer having problems with water! Snork!

Really inexcusable, I suspect that the search for the lowest bidder has something to do with it.

Rod
  14. krellheat

krellheat Milk Crate Challenged

Oddometer:
    What if its raining? The switches will no doubt get wet and fail?
  15. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my horn switch failed for good this time. Sweet dealer has a replacement on the way. South Sound BMW has always been good to me.
  16. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In answer to 2 posts:

Apparently the switches are waterproof, at least in theory... What seem s to be the problem with water in them is, appparently, result of washing with high pressure. Rain, no matter how hard it rains, should have no effect.

Did your horn button got stuck in the on position ? Sort of like the button feels spring less and not returning to its natural (out) position ?

Andre
  17. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No water, I was driving in France on a nice day. On the way there everything worked fine. On the way back (after doing about 20 miles returning) I wanted to put is on soft for the main roads and it didn't respond. The next day everything was fine again, haven't had that problem anymore (but now the novelty wore of I play less with the suspension, I use the modes more now).
  18. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the mode options (e.g., dynamic, road, rain) only change when you're stopped and in neutral.

19. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just complementing kindofblue's answer:

You may also chanhe the modes while riding if, after choosing the desired mode, you don't use the brakes and accelerator while pressing and then releasing the clutch. It actually only takes a half pull on the clutch to have the mode changed.

Regarding the ESA the damping (soft, normal or hard ) may be changed on the fly. Compression, however, (1 person, 2 or luggage ) may only be changed while stopped.

Also keep in mind that the first time the ESA button is pressed it only recalls the setting; you have to press it again to change it.

Andre
  20. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 19 replies to this post the only complaints of defects on the GSW so far have been about the switches.

It makes me very happy that our new bikes are showing, at least so far, so few problems !

Certainly this is a small problem and covered under warranty. I do not know if BMW has made any changes to these switches but if not I am sure they will although it may take them a while.

Considering that this is a brand new bike and as far as I can tell the only parts brought from the older model are the turn signal lights ( if you have these in LED ) this is a great success !

Congrats BMW team !

Andre