The Ultimate Canol Thread:

Discussion in 'Canada' started by windquest, Sep 29, 2011.

1. windquest

windquest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did notice that look he got! :lol3

It's a shame the magazine forced their hand in using subpar equipment either through sponsors or lack of knowledge... maybe they did it on purpose:huh? A trip like this will be hard enough with the right equipment but to start with less then that is no help.

You really were right about any trailers not lasting, and they haven't even made it to anything "hard" yet! I can see where a quad would be nice on the trail but I see soo many downsides to using one, like fuel consumption and side slope... I just can't see them as being the right tool for the job.

On that note I have a lot of respect for Jim and Mike for making it as far as they did with what equipment and weather they were given... kudos to them!:clap

Aquadog, thanks for the campsite list, huge help! Any chance you might have similar info between the border and caribou pass?

Thanks,
    Jason
  2. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't say that the equipment was necessarily subpar - maybe the trailers - but perhaps not optimal for the job. The quads were tough enough, appeared well built, but were just too big and heavy. As noted, about 200 pounds and a foot longer than a 550 Yamaha. It was an interesting comparison of design philosophies. The Yamaha is pretty efficient, uses nooks for storage, no bigger than it needs to be, simple steel racks; the U.S. designed quad had cute little features like a mini pickup box on the rear, complete with 6" high tailgate, that bloated it but accomplished nothing. The front had a plastic clamshell storage compartment that was too short and oddly shaped to be useful, and meant that putting anything on top was more difficult. Sort of features over function, and perhaps appropriate in some environments, but here it was like taking a Harley when a KLR would have been better. My first thought on seeing the quads was "how do you weld or bolt anything to these racks?" You don't.

Taking a trailer was a gamble, but they wanted a self-supported trip and having decided on quads, needed the storage. The Field & Stream audience probably also likes the "building something in the wilderness" aspect of how they did the raft, etc. If I were to do this, I'd consider a quad, but build a rack for it to haul light stuff on top, fuel on the racks, etc.

And yup, what the sponsors supply is a major influence. Remember that these guys were also on a time limit to get it done. Jim had done the 500 mile across-the-north snowmobile gig (interesting to see those posts also) and was scheduled to do the major canoe expedition after the Canol. They cut it close getting back as it was, we drove to 3AM that night so we'd get close enough to make the ferry and airline connections out of Whitehorse.

The cautionary tale here is that Jim did his homework, same type of research you're doing, talked to the outfitter and everybody he could find who had done the trail. Imperfect equipment aside and the time limit, he was pretty well set up to make the attempt, illustrating how important weather can be. Or if something breaks.

Once you're east of the Tsichu it's pretty open, camp where you like.
  3. windquest

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for all the great information and help!:clap
    Jason
  4. windquest

Oddometer:
    Hey guys part 7 of jim baird from Field & stream is up! check post #115 for the link where I have all of them posted. I will also post a link on the first page/first post.

Jason
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the video's, thanks. Gives a good idea of the terrain compared to photo's.
  6. windquest

Oddometer:
    Sure does, im itching for the next video.. i'll post it up as soon as I see it.
    Jason
  7. windquest

Oddometer:
    Part 8 is up!!!:clap
    check the first page, post #1
  8. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    Maybe Part 9 or 10 will show the type of river you'll be facing - and Jim trying to swim it. Keep in mind this is an experienced paddler/swimmer who is 6'-5" and in good shape. Hmmm. It's getting interesting. And when they tried to get back, all the rivers had continued to rise - so there should be footage of a quad - well, a handlebar - sticking out of the water. :rofl
  9. windquest

Oddometer:
    Can't wait!:lol3
  10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man I admire you guys for trying but do you think it's anywhere near realistic? Riding a bike through muskeg is no fun, forget about toting the kind of gear you're gonna need. Lots of chopper drops along the way or the bulk of your trip spent pushing bikes and carrying gear to cover a short distance is my prediction, gotta love adventure though! Good luck, I hope it happens with lots of pics and you can tell me I'm wrong and just a pesemist!
  12. windquest

Oddometer:
  13. windquest

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We look forward to posting many pictures and videos... It won't be easy but it will be an adventure!
    Ps. We intend on going at it unsupported with no helicopter support.
  14. El Birdo

El Birdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mentioned to Windquest that my wife and I will in most likelyhood possibly maybe potentially walk the Canol trail a year before we attempt it on bikes. Taking about 20 days or so. That might be too much, my wife and I are pretty strong endurance hikers so there should be lots of time out there for route finding for the bikes. Reading some of the hiking reports I'd like to see some of the landslides and boggy parts that might make the bike attempt difficult.

It'd add a cool recon dimension to the ride anyway. Taking notes and pics of trouble spots and possible route detours will be fun.

What am I getting myself into :eek1 :freaky

Topo maps are in, I will post pics this weekend when I get a chance :D

The challenge for the hike might be to do it without a food drop. :dunno Although we could hike lighter with the food drop....who knows.
  15. El Birdo

Oddometer:
    4 - 1:250,000 in the middle with 4 - 50,000 (more detail) on the outside. 1:50's are of Caracajou, Dodo Canyon, Twitya Crossing and Godlin Lakes.

Attached Files:

16. El Birdo

Oddometer:
    Length of the Canol Trail

Attached Files:

17. El Birdo

Oddometer:
    Caracajou Crossing.

Attached Files:

18. El Birdo

Oddometer:
    Norman Wells to Caracajou

Attached Files:

19. El Birdo

Oddometer:
    Dodo Canyon....coming out of Caracajou

Attached Files:

20. El Birdo

Oddometer:
    Twitya Crossing. I've read two miles up stream is where to cross. Also read there's some hot springs after you cross if you're going West to East.......I guess well have to hit the springs before or set up camp near it :D

Attached Files: