Service reminder

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Jays-f800gs, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Jays-f800gs

Jays-f800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I got a '10 f800gs last September with 1875 miles. I've put another 1000 so 2900 miles and my service reminder light is now on. Should I assume this reminder is for changing the oil based on date? The reminder was giving me a date. I understand that without a gs911 tool I cant reset or read codes.
  2. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    how long was your service ago? It can be that it's reminding you that you have to make an oil change on annual bases.
    I know it's flashing when you're about 10k km, 20k km and so on. didn't know they do remind you the annual schedules too.
  3. Jays-f800gs

Jays-f800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure, I bought it used with only 1875 miles in first two years so it wasn't ridden much. Don't know when the 600 mile service was, so I'm pretty much assuming it's for an oil chage based on time/year.
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not think you can reset the date with a 9-11. There are a few services that are based on time not mileage. I think brake fluid is one of those or maybe it is just a reminder you have not given the money recently. :deal
  5. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    you can reset with a gs911
  6. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine came on coming back from Alaska last summer. It didn't know I had changed my oil before I left. I changed my oil when I got home. I just took it to my dealer and asked them to turn the light off and they did. Free of charge!:clap
  7. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
    +1 for the GS911, it can reset the dates and can't recommend the unit enough.

The service reminder you have occurred is very likely the annual.
  8. Pete7874

Pete7874 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not wanting to start another thread on this, so I'll ask here: is GS-911 the only viable option for a DIY service reset? Is there anything else out there at lower cost?
  9. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, the only DIY method is the GS-911. You could also ask your dealer nicely and he might oblige :deal