2014 1190 Adventure Airbox

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by 2wdrift, May 5, 2014.

1. Womble_CH

Womble_CH dribbling baboon

Oddometer:
    I fitted the Unifilter right after the first 1tkm service. I don't mind the money or time spent to fit the filter.

All I really want is KTM to accept and admit the Unifilter as a valid third party solution that won't void my warranty.
  2. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    $76.09 us :d
  3. fifty502

fifty502 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree... Looking to pick up the 2015 and want to put a uni on befor its out the door.... but shop said it voids the warranty? just plain crazy
  4. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    ride it home install the new filter, if you have any warranty issues put the stock one back in before taking it to the dealer. problem solved.
  5. 2wheelfool

2wheelfool n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for the advice and contact info....I will pursue.

Just got a call from the KTM dealer...the KTM suggested airfilter is $120.
  6. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    But why the fuck should we have to do this in the first place. I love working on bikes and pulling the tank is a lovely relaxing am with a cup of coffee. The point is the air box sucks and if people just say screw it and drop in a filter that fixes a problem Ktm should fix nothing will ever get done.

QUOTE=Black Hills;24118012]ride it home install the new filter, if you have any warranty issues put the stock one back in before taking it to the dealer. problem solved.[/QUOTE]
  7. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

I agree, but I would rather fix it myself and ride than wait for some corporation to come up with a solution.
  8. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Mine is done already. I'm still going to call and email to get shit going. It's just wrong
  9. 990

990 Krap To Maintain

Oddometer:

Sell it before its worth jack shit. I did, mate of mine told me I was mad, Ktm are replacing water pump, oil pump and pistons and rings on he's one....
  10. chadscamaro

chadscamaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My leakdown test was very bad so the dealer is pulling my motor to further inspect and figure out if rebuilding is an option or new engine. Im obv pulling for new engine if its rebuilt there better be extra warranty. Im now wondering just how much dirt the bike inhaled with only having 1800 miles and maybe 600-700 were off paved road. Not happy but dealer is going to see how things look once torn down per ktms instructions. I have a feeling they are going to go through this process a lot! Already told dealer he better sell a uni kit to every 1190 buyer. What a mess!!
  11. 2wdrift

2wdrift Been here awhile

Oddometer:

On my motor I have around 6000 miles or 10000 km of very dusty riding on many dirt roads so I dont even want to know how my motor looks on the inside. Riding to the dealership tomorrow because they have not contacted me since monday when I dropped the bike off. Getting fed up with this dealership now
  12. Scro

Scro I don't feel dirty

Oddometer:
    Use oil analysis to check if your air filter is letting dust into the engine. If it has you will have proof to show KTM and if not you will sleep better at night.

I've used Blackstone (USA) for years for my diesel trucks. Peace of mind for $25.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php
  13. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    I put the Uni filter on tonight. The inside of the airbox was pretty dusty, along with the throttle bodies. Not as bad as some on here, but I just picked up the bike 3 weeks ago. 700 miles, and one dirt ride of about 60 miles last weekend. That was a really dusty ride.
    I'm convinced after seeing mine the problem was not fixed from earlier versions.
    And what a PITA getting to the air filter. After owning KTM's for past 12 years, I expect easier access to the air filter from them. They always set the bar for quick air filter changes in the past. The 950 was a PITA too, I think the 1190 might be worse.:deal
  14. chadscamaro

chadscamaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it was really dusty and inside had a coating of dust you may want to at least make dealer aware. Mine only has 1800 miles less than half off road and only 1 really dusty 2 day 550 mile trip with about 150 or so miles of dusty roads and my engine will be out of my bike tomorrow for KTM to figure out the next step because its toast!
  15. OrangeV

OrangeV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys

May i suggest to you if you are replacing the air filter yourself, that you take comprehensive photos of the box and everyhting else.
    Set the camera so it shows the date and time.
    This will give you some leverage if any asswipes want to give you hard time. Its just a thought...

My filter is being installed by the dealer today.
    I will report later...:D
  16. radbrad511

radbrad511 deer hunter

Oddometer:
    :QUOTE=chadscamaro;24122555]If it was really dusty and inside had a coating of dust you may want to at least make dealer aware. Mine only has 1800 miles less than half off road and only 1 really dusty 2 day 550 mile trip with about 150 or so miles of dusty roads and my engine will be out of my bike tomorrow for KTM to figure out the next step because its toast![/QUOTE]

:eek1:cry
  17. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    And emailing Ktm USA and bitch. Ask wtf they are going to do. Around the world the r got a two year warranty and not till after I got the bike did I find out it was one year. The dealer did not even know. Still love the bike and it's been great so far. They need to fix the damn thing
  18. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Same exact thing with mine. I'm not giving it back though!!!
  19. 2wdrift

2wdrift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a word of warning, I suspect that if this goes to court for some of you guys, then having worked on your own bike may void the warranty. Especially if the issue was the airbox crap and they then claim you did not fit the airbox back together correctly. Just a thought though
  20. okeanis1234

okeanis1234 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any official opinion from KTM about the airbox issue?
    I have never riden offroad,but i am still upset...I don't want my new bike to have a rebuilt engine,even if i will not pay anything.