GSA & 30" inseam-will it work???

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by leftystrat62, Jan 23, 2010.

1. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's winter in New England and I can't test drive the leftover '09's. I want the GSA but wonder if I will fit it at 6',170lbs,30"inseam. I ride a Harley Electra Glide 850lbs,and have a bit of dirt experience,but I hate to buy something I can't try & there are only a few left around. Yes, I will load it up and be going off road where ever I can find dirt. Help!
  2. "Spaniard"

"Spaniard" Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 1200GS and it works well for me. I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam and the bike fits me. I am a little tippy toed but not bad. The GSA was too tall for me at the showroom but I did sit on one with a lower seat and that seemed to make a big improvement. The GSA is heavier and taller. Those two things don't work for me. If I could ride one comfortably I would have bought a GSA. The GSA will be much easier to ride than your Harley.
  3. GSALite

GSALite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just have to practice scooting over to one side of the seat and putting one foot down. You can then put an entire foot very securely on the ground and have no problems. It kind of makes a tripod with the two tires. You said you have dirt experience so you may already do this, but thought I would mention it. I know of shorter people who successfully ride the bike. And yes the shorter seat will help too. Most of it depends on how YOU can ride the bike. Good luck!
  4. ARROWMAPCORP

ARROWMAPCORP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 07 GSA. I'm 5'11" 30" inseam, 175 lbs. I have stock seat in low position, works fine for me. I also have a seargent seat that sits a little lower, I used it on my ride when I know I'm mostly going to be in dirt, like the +250mi trip on kettle valley rr this summer.
  5. andy57

andy57 quiet one

Oddometer:
    I went from a wide glide to a R1200GS, now to a 2007 R1200GSA, No problems. I am 5'10" , 30" inseam, 250 lbs Go for it!
  6. TUCKNKITTY

TUCKNKITTY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 5'9", 210 lbs, with a 30"ish inseam - stock seat - and you'll be fine. Pay attention to what your doing and after awhile the size and height of the bike will seem normal to you. I'll put it to you like this- I spend more time trying not to bring the front wheel up (and it will if you let her!:D ) then worrying about the how tall the bike is and that to me makes for a great time! Have fun!
  7. dembones

dembones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" 210lbs with a 31" inseam, long torso.

I clicked the preload/shocks down to about halfway to get used to the adventures height.

I also bought a stock saddle from a r1200gs to help with the height issue.

I now have a Bill Mayer saddle built on a stock r1200gs saddle and have no issues, except for trying to back up an incline while on the bike.

I can get the balls of my feet down now or scoot to one butt cheek and get one foot flat on the ground.

I came off an '03 K1200lt that was 834 lbs wet, not counting all my gear. My '07 R1200GS Adventure weighs 564 lbs wet. So you can see your Harley and my LT are pretty close in weight. It makes a big difference dealing with the height.

You will feel the big Adventure gas tank when it is full of gas. It always seems weird just after a fill up, but like my LT once you get under way, that weight seems to shed.

Good Luck,
    Dave
  8. Flyboy08

Flyboy08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6' 31" inseam and I was happy as a clam on my 07GSA..............that is until I placed a Corbin saddle on her:eek1...best seat in da world, but makes stopping a challenge to say the least:lol3
  9. mg8

mg8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'7 with 29" inseam, low seat, normal suspension setting and it is great. Very differest seating position than an HD but it is very comfortable with the upright riding style. +1 on the showroom comment above. I had stuck with dedicated street bikes until I sat on aGS and realized the riding position of the GS was going to be managable. Lokking back, I kinda laugh when I throw my leg over the KTM (seat height 38") which I ride in traffic too.
  10. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I wanted to hear-thanks!:clap
  11. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the replies-I feel better going for that GSA.:wink:
  12. GSABest

GSABest El Aventurero

Oddometer:
    5'9 1/4" on a good day. 155 lbs. 30" inseam. Stock seat in low position. 2008 GSA with ESA! Set it to comfort around town to get a bit more foot down. Also, suspension will settle/sag in time providing lower seat height! No problems! Go for it! U will not regret it! :clap

Marc
  13. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    Don't look back. You have no idea how happy you are about to make yourself.
  14. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'8" my seat's in the high front/low back position. Stock shocks. Yeah, I can't just stop anywhere off-road, but on the road, just put one foot/toe down and balance.

There's no reason to flatfoot anything. :nah

M
  15. T-Stoff

T-Stoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just about...

Don't wear enduro boots with steel tipped soles on concrete.
  16. AwolArn

AwolArn Ride-Fly-Boat-Fish

Oddometer:
    In the cow pies between Greeley and Loveland CO
    I'm 5'9, 160# 30" inseam. My 07 GSA is the first bike I've owned in my "adult" life. Rode some motocross and enduro in my teens. Tested Harleys but just couldn't get used to the laid back seating position. I LOVE the upright seating on the GSA. I saw one, rode one for 10 miles, went to the dealer and bought one. 3 months and 1400 miles later, I'm only looking forward to the next ride. :rofl I love it!!! I have the stock seat set to the low position and middle precharge on the shocks. My ass is telling me to get a mo comfy seat soon though... :eek1 I have done some gravel roads in Colorado that went fine. It is a blast to ride wherever I've taken it and it is way easier to control and throw around than I ever would have thought. Just go for it!!!:clap :clap
  17. nokaoiken

nokaoiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 5'-11" with 30" inseam and have an 04 1150 GSA. It is a little higher than the GS. I was tiptoeing when I bought it but I got used to it. I then put GS shocks on it to lower height a touch.
  18. BmwRudy

BmwRudy Braaaaaaaaaap, BRAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    5' 6" tall 29" inseam 09' GSA Stock seat shaved way down. No problems.
  19. slojon

slojon SLOJON

Oddometer:
    I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I ride a 2008GSA. I have to be careful where I park, where I put my foot etc, but otherwise it all works well. On the go it is not a consideration, it is just at very slow speed, in carparks etc that becomes a problem.
    I have just bought a second hand GS seat ($200) for my GSA. I've fitted it and it is 55mm lower. The cutout nature of the GS seat means it is supposed to not be as comfortable as the GSA seat. I can't remember what it was like on my on my older GS but I had a sheepskin seat cover on it so I guess it wasn't all that good.
    I'm going to use the GS seat for local trips, especially to the shops etc, and put the GSA seat back on for tours.
  20. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    After my ownership of an 08 adventure and having a 30" inseam I would pass on this bike. The reason is the bike gets too heavy to get up of the side stand unless you are on totally flat ground. The bike is great once moving.