What makes the Odyssey Battery desirable?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AndyCap, May 21, 2010.

1. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    I imagine there may be a thread here someplace that explains why people chose the Odyssey battery, but I can't find it. So, why the Odyssey? What are the advantages?
  2. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    straight from the Wunderlich USA website
    http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/

for the 1150 GS:

This battery is the solution for blinking ABS warning lights and non starting BMW bikes. The extremely strong starting power ensures that the Boxer will start even in very cold weather. Amazing starting power + extremely long life (can last 9-10 years if treated correctly) + vibration proof. Will hold charge for months when no in use (needs to be fully charged beforehand) and is totally maintenance free. The special pure lead "Dry" technology made this battery spill=proof, weather proof and reliable. Same size as original but with 280 amps. starting power (conventional 20 Ah battery has only 120 A).

For the 1200 GS:

This battery is the solution for blinking ABS warning lights and non starting BMW bike. The 1200 GS has smaller battery than the older models; therefore, this battery is even more important to have for total starting reliability. Amazing starting power, extremely long life (can last 8-10 years if treated correctly) and vibration proof. Will hold the charge for months when not in use (needs to be fully charged beforehand) and is totally maintenance free. The special pure lead "dry" technology made this battery spill-proof, weather-proof and reliable.

For the record i did nothing to my odyssey this winter aside from disconnecting it. the bike fired first attempt. highly recommended. if you have a 1200 or pay attention to the forum, you know that a lot of odd, annoying issues (like ABS fault) can occur with a weak battery that still has the minerals to start the bike.
  3. GS Mojo

GS Mojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed an Odyssey yesterday in my 1150. Good cranking power.

Do these need to be put on a battery tender?
  4. Litre

Litre AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer:
    I took my 650 mile GSA for an overnighter in the mountains when I got it ~2 years go. Overnight, it rained, and the temps got as low as freezing. When I picked up camp and went to start my bike, the bike almost didn't crank over. The battery BARELY had enough cranking amps to turn the engine over. I ordered my Odyssey that weekend. Since then, I've had my bike outside in temps well below freezing, and it cranks over without a hitch. Easily one of the best "upgrades" to my bike. Peace of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about it dying. Also, maintenance-free batteries typically die slowly, so you know when they're going out as opposed to standard batteries that can die, literally, overnight.
  5. Litre

Litre AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer:
    Not to say I'm the end-all be-all authority on the subject, but for what it's worth, I've never had my bike on a tender, and have never had an issue. My bike has sat idle for as long as 2-2.5 weeks and kicked right over with the Odyssey.

YMMV!
  6. A. T. T-W

A. T. T-W Can't be bothered.

Oddometer:
    Nothing special about them. In fact, they're over-hyped (usually by people who needed a new battery anyway, bought an Odyssey and are impressed by the performance of a new battery against the knackered one they just took-out) and they're over priced.
  7. Litre

Litre AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer:
    *shrug*, my battery was a couple months old. The Odyssey cranks the bike over faster, and cold-weather performance is obvious. I'm only one case, but I can say for certain that in my particular situation, the Odyssey is significantly stronger than my pretty much new BMW battery was.
  8. peanut_gallery

peanut_gallery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cant imagine their much different than any other dry cell battery out there. Any dry cell battery will last longer, be vibration proof, and with more than twice the cranking amps, they will make the bike start easier in all sorts of conditions.

For about $65-$70 I picked up a dry cell battery from a farm & ranch store. Its physically smaller then the Odyssey, so no mods needed, and still packs about the same punch as the Odyssey, I believe its rated at 250-265 CCA.
  9. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Cold cranking amps are higher than similar sized flodded cell batteries. AGM construction allows deep discharge without damage. Typically these batteries will last for 8-10 years with only moderate care. Low rates of sulfation means the battery retains its performance over the years.

Standard flooded cell designs just do not provide the performance of AGM designs.

This battery will not leave you stranded in the middle of nowehere.
  10. jeffjbmw

jeffjbmw Threadkiller

Oddometer:
    My wife has a Odyssey in her R1150RS and I didn't notice a particularly better crank speed. But it has served her well for a couple years.

I went with the Yuasa higher output AGM battery in my R12GS, I forget the number, and it has been fine, starting well with no ABS lights. Fits without mod, too.

To each his own, I guess.
  11. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the 11xx's replace the starter if you have cranking issues. The starters go bad, draw too many amps then kill your new battery. ABS-initialization failure on start up can be the fault of the starter as much as an old battery. Odyssey does have more cranking amps so can mask a failing starter problem.
  12. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    These are AGM batteries (Absorbent Glass Mat), and as such have no electrolyte in them in liquid or gel form. They can be installed in any position, even up-side down and if cut open will not have any leakage. They are immune from freezing, and cost less to ship, but more to manufacture.

Discharge rate is 1 to 3% per month, and they can be 95% recharged after sitting completely dead for over 30 days.

Downside is only the cost, they will be about twice as expensive as a standard flooded cell battery.

I had battery issues in my R1200GS with the servos draining the stock battery. My bike was always tethered to a battery tender. Once I installed an AGM battery (the Odyssey), that all dissappeared and it works flawless and always starts.
    [FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]​
    [/FONT]

RECOMMENDED.
  13. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    There are several advantages as I see it,
    1. 10 year service life, compared to 3 to 5 years for wet cell batteries.
    2. Except for parasitic loads they will hold their charge much longer than other batteries.
    3. With such a large current dumping capability they cure the ABS start up problems (as noted above).
    4. They don't leak acid (again as noted above).
    5. Can be shipped very easily (as noted above).
    6. Are a bit more expensive ($135) but with twice (or more) service life, are a better 'deal'.

And yes to get maximum life they should be charged with a charger that is designed for these types of batteries.

JJ
  14. wanocksett

wanocksett Banned

Oddometer:
    Same experience here.
  15. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:

Both very helpful. As like most things motorcycle related, there appears to be varying opinions on effectiveness. I was more concerned with why some people would think the Odyssey is better.

Thanks to everyone for your input
  16. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    we're here to help.
  17. johnjen

Oddometer:
    And here is another AMAZING factoid of note about Odyssey batteries.

I just measured my 10 year old PC680
    It sat all night and all day long, out of the bike.
    It measured 12.71 volts
    This is 90% SOC (state of charge)

I was going to replace it but now I'm not so sure.
    That is outstanding life and durability.

JJ
  18. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty bold statement, I assume you have hard facts to back that up. :deal
    Thrown lots of gels and flooded away. Yet to retire an Odyssey. I've installed them in all kinds of machines 2 and 4 wheel, some left at remote sites for extended periods of time. They are also running in local crewboats.
    They work and they work well. Plain and simple.
    BTW: You get what you pay for.
  19. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do a revive charge:
    Charge at 0.05C constant current (800mA for PC680). End voltage will go as high as 16.5v for the final 2-3 hours. Odyssey engineers gave me that tip a few years ago and I have brought back a few abused ones as well as "freshening" mine up once a year. It really makes a difference when cranking on the older ones.
    You will be surprised to see the OCV back at 12.9 - 13v fully charged.
    "Outstanding life and durability" is a good analogy for this battery.:nod
  20. johnjen

Oddometer:
    That's a revive charge from an 'intelligent' charger I assume?

JJ