Ohlins DIY on F650GS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gumbeaux, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I completed the Ohlins installation this past weekend.

Sorry I could not take pictures. My digital cam was on the fritz from a rainy ride [​IMG]

Here is what I learned:
    *By searching this site and f650.com, and utilizing the BMW manual, I got all the info and confidence I need to do this.
    *Took me four hours. Mostly working alone, but with helping hands and minds to hold things and advise as needed.
    * I did not remove the gas tank. I simply unplugged the electrical stuff that was in the way under the seat and cinched the frame up as described in the BMW manual and on various forums. Worked like a charm.
    *Per warnings, I cracked the threaded bezel on the lower mounting portion of the shock. It was easily remedied with a nut on the end of the bolt. I am disappointed that Ohlins product would crack so easily. They really need to beef that up or recommend use of a bolt...
    *I do have a leftover part after re-assembling my bike [​IMG] A bracket with rubber stop attached to it...I think its a frame stop of some sort. I will get the parts fiche out and try to find out where it goes...

I then rode with the Ohlins yesterday on forest service roads...I was loaded down with tools, old shock, and other such junk from the installation work. The Ohlins is an awesome addition to the bike! The Ohlins also highlighted the downfalls of my front-end suspension...so the Race Tech Emulators are going on sooner rather than later!

I can't wait to get this luggage off and take the bike for a more aggressive offroad run...:ricky
  2. f650gsa

f650gsa De la Mobra la BMW !

Oddometer:
    I could post few pics here but I did it differently than you . I removed the rear frame and gas tank . Besides replacing the rear shock I replaced the chain, sprockets and few other small parts .
  3. f650gsa

Oddometer:
    one more
  4. f650gsa

Oddometer:
    pic
  5. El Cazador

El Cazador Mama didnt love me

Oddometer:
    From what I can tell there is one ohlins for both the gs and dakar. When put on a gs does it raise the rear of the bike? Also the emulators do not raise the front correct?
  6. El Cazador

El Cazador Mama didnt love me

Oddometer:
    ok so i know there are separate ohlins for the dakar and gs, which one did you install? And how did it affect the height of the bike?
  7. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the Ohlins Rear BM344-46ERS
    Adjustable rebound
    Hose mounted preload adjuster

The ride height was only barely changed...when I first installed it, the rear wheel was barely on the ground when the bike was on the centerstand. But once I sat on it and got the preload dialed in, I noticed very little difference.

I was a skeptic, and for whatever reason decided to take the plunge...and I am extremely surprised at the performance difference that I notice, especially being a relative noob to this bike and type of riding...