TT locking oilf filler cap - removal ?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mario33, Mar 8, 2011.

1. mario33

mario33 Howling around...

Oddometer:
    I lost both keys for Touratech locking oil filler cap in my F8GS. And, guess what, I cant open it ! :eek1 Anyone got similar problem and managed to open it WITHOUT KEYS ? Tried to dismantle it but with no luck (removing lock does not help much)... TT offered no help so far...

HELP ! As I cant use my bike :cry
  2. Numb

Numb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does it have pieces that secure it inside the filler neck (like a door lock that has pieces that extend when locked to keep it from being removed), or does the locking mechanism keep it from being removed by allowing the top to spin freely unless the key is used?

if the top just spins freely without the key inserted, you may be able to drill through that top part and into the portion that is in the threads of the filler neck - then insert a screw or something strong enough to "lock" the two halves together (free spinning outer part, and the rest that is in the filler neck) so you can remove it

just an idea...
  3. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Get a locksmith... :deal

Cutting into this thing and potentially getting metal chips in your engine sounds like a bad idea.
  4. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    +1 (or -1 as the case may be)

It would be really hard to ensure nothing falls into the sump.
  5. bumbee800

bumbee800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just take the lock to a lock smith to get a new key made or take the entire bike to them if the lock is still attached to the bike. A good locksmith should be able to make you a new key. Hopefully you have not fuped the lock by taking it apart.
  6. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    In my area many locksmiths will come to you and make a key on the spot too :D
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
  8. Numb

Numb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bah, cant' be that thick of metal - drill enough to get a self tapping screw going (if the design is the free spinning top).
  9. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    are you able to see a serial number on the lock?

i know for some things, like givi bags, you can buy spare keys based on the serial number on the lock......
  10. fractalsource

fractalsource Adventurer

Oddometer:

:ddog What a waste of money! What a waste of money! What a waste of money!:ddog

I just got one as a gift...
    - I screwed it in lightly. Locked it.
    - Then reached down under the spinning cap and unscrewed the stationary dip stick cap, with my fingers!

And my oil filler port was open - for anyone! - Is this a novelty?
    Someone can easily get into this oil filler port.
    What a joke.
    If yours is on tighter, use a adjustable end wrench and simply unscrew the non spinning part of the cap.
    I suppose it could fool the average bozo, in a hurry, to do some tampering, on the sly.
    There is nothing LOCKING about this filler cap in my opinion.

What a waste of money! What a waste of money! What a waste of money!
  11. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the whole idea seems like a wait of brain space. if your putting a lock on your oil filter... what about them steeling your GPS, wheel, or you.....
  12. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, don't listen to anyone who doesn't own one of these damn things.
    Locksmith, serial numbers, forget about it. I did it already so you can learn from my visit to Senor Locksmith here and save your money!
    JR has the right idea, read my write up about it and you will understand the workings of it.
    The fix is very simple when you understand how it works.
    Take a look at the area of the locking cap that sits flush with the hole. That part can be grasped with a pair of pliers and you simply turn it and it will come out.
    If you still have difficulty, send me a PM and I will help you.

As for anyone else contemplating the purchase of this item, think long and hard before wasting your money.
    I doubt I would even sell mine to someone used.