Ellensburg ADVers?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Pro_Marinero, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    Anyone there? As of tomorrow I'm one too. Look for the Husaberg 470 (er, once I fix it :D ) cruising around town or anybody talking about some guy riding a funny bike with no seat in the north Water area. :lol3 We're renting until we decide whether to buy or build. Looking forward to leaving the rat race (at least for four days a week) and riding all of my childhood places again. It's good to be finally going home after all of these years. :thumb

If anyone wants a partner let me know.
  2. hayshaker

hayshaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Near George so not that far away and ride all year long. There are quite a few ADV bikes in that area but I don't think many of them are forum members.

TONY
  3. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Rey & Vann

Rey & Vann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious about the area, how is the wintertime riding? Suppose much drier than Elma WA, but likely colder.

I'm sick of the rain here, about a bajillion inches a year, and anymore, I park my bikes from October to May and maybe go out one Sunday a month. I hate it! So after tons of talk, my wife and I have finally decided it's time to go, just don't know where. West coast still, just in the rain shadow so looking for suggestions.

How is Ellensberg? I've never been there.
  5. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of the Cascades (Seattle, Olympia, Portland) it rains. East of the Cascades (Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Bend) it doesn't. Simple.
    We get over 300 days of sunshine a year. Wintertime riding is available, but there's usually snow on the ground from late November through March. Ish. But you can go out to the Columbia Basin and ride. Cold but sunny.

1911fan
  6. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    Good to know there are a few over here. Tony I might hit you up for a Saddle ride if I ever get this Berg put together. It's been awhile since I was there. I was getting spanked by a couple CRF450's in the dunes by Haeback so I know next time should be a little more fun.

As far as Ellensburg goes... it's windy. It comes and goes but it's sort of a constant over the course of the year. It's worst in the spring. I remember many cold baseball practices and really hating that freezing wind. Once you accept that it gets better :lol3 . Some people may disagree but I think it's one of the best-situated towns in the state, both for riding and just in general. It's where the green stops and the desert starts. There is riding in literally every direction and some of the best trails in the state are within 30 minutes of town to the north, south, and west ( to be fair I used to ride what is now the firing range before it expanded SE of town so I still say every direction :D ). Having the college there brings some diversity and culture. There are great restaurants and bars downtown which most people miss as they fly on I-90 only to pee and gas up at the south interchange. It's two hours to Seattle so you have easy access to whatever you feel you might want to go to there. It's quiet and small enough to know people but not so small that people know you and your business. And no.. it does NOT smell like cowshit anymore since Schaake's closed over 20 years ago. I still hear that from people on the west side. I've been gone a long time but even I'm caught up on that one. :lol3

(full disclosure - my family has been here for over 130 years so I'm a bit partial :deal )