Buell Bliss

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by HooliKen, Nov 21, 2012.

1. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Filled the bars with silicone caulk through the hole near each grip. I put tape over the other holes on the bars so it would not leak out. Removed after the silicone cured over night. I used about 3/4 of a tube.
  2. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Did this make noticeable difference ?
  3. stoney4vida

Oddometer:
    I got my hands on a Spec Ops muffler. Can I run this with stock ECM, or will I need to go to EBR for the race ECM loaded for the Spec Ops muffler ? If it's possible to run with stock ECM are there any negatives to doing it ?
    I also run the K&N air filter
    Thanks
  4. frontiercat

frontiercat Space Staion #5

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, get the ECM from EBR with the correct algorithms in it. You will be much happier.

Yes, the negatives are possible engine (piston) failure due to excessive lean conditions.
  5. stoney4vida

Oddometer:

Thanks for info folks :D
  6. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy n00b

Oddometer:
    Started on the 01 DRZs for kicks on country roads in 04'. Was hooked and started searching for a street alternative. Bought the 06 XB12X new, without the benefit of a test ride or even seeing one. Had to wait for it to arrive in at the local HD store. Fear of the power and the potential downsides were soon overcome with relative confidence and certainly comfort. Over 40k on the clock now and cannot yet imagine parting with it. Just picked up an 07 F650GS to for more distance on dirt and to take pressure off the Buell.

What started out as a pastime has evolved into an everyday thing. This, that or the next bike and all that goes with them. Even have an 08 CBR1000rr that my son calls his. Fantastic contrast to anything I have ridden. Of all these currently in service the Buell easily covers the broadest range of uses. Have had a lot of peg time on it too. Very manageable. Big, big fun.
  7. unlucky1

unlucky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checkin' in - last weekend I got the Uly out on the road for the first time since November. Since then I've bought a "fast" Mustang as my daily driver and have been putting saddle time on my DT175 at the local ORV park... I'd forgotten much thrust the Uly makes right from the bottom and how effortless it is to toss around.

So much fun, but don't try to launch it like a DT :)

This photo is sort of a joke I couldn't resist:
    [​IMG]

Just shy of 48,000 miles now, but most aren't mine; it came with 37,000mi last February. Fixed the fuel pump wiring before Sturgis last summer and it was pretty easy, looks like fuel filters that fit can be had at Autozone; good to know. I think that's the last factory issue on it, the rest will likely be old bike issues. The Sturgis run toasted the battery pretty well, it hasn't been able to hold as deep a charge since that trip. No surprise with how hot it gets under the seat though.

This winter I'm going to take off the header and have the front pipe bunged for a wideband O2 sensor and fix the fueling on a dyno; a PO disabled closed loop learn and tuned it at sea level so it has about a 7000ft ceiling. I know because I completely bogged out and lost all power, blowing soot, while riding over the top of King's Hill Pass in Montana at about 7300ft and woke back up just below the pass. At least I can be pretty confident it isn't running lean!

I'd buy another one but maybe by then the AX will be a thing :)
  8. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    When I picked up my second 06 Uly I basically road out, met dude, rode it home, then headed to VA for 46 days of 14 hour shifts during an outage. After riding it for awhile I got the sense that it was way, way underpowered compared to my first one. My original 06 would power wheelie in 2nd and sometimes in 3rd. Well finally got through the holidays and now have been able to tear into her a little. PO supplied me with a bunch of extra parts and a pretty thorough maintenance history.

First thing that had to go was the factory exhaust. Mrs. Hooliken said it sounds like George Jetsons car................not good.

Still had the factory take off from my first 06 and stumbled across Hawk Performance. Randy did his thing and it is currently at Classic coatings getting cermanic coated.

PO said that the idle adjust cable needed replacement and had a new one. Once I got the airbox base off all I had to do was shot it with some 3-36 lubricant and she turns slick as you please.

Going to reroute a bunch of stuff that he OO did just because my OCD will not be able to leave it like it is.

Finally got around to pulling the plugs and it was not pretty.....

I do believe that these were well past needing to be changed. I noticed the corrosion on the front plug when I got it but did not think it was this bad.

[​IMG]

Annnnnd I think she has been running a touch lean wouldn't you say?

[​IMG]

Guess once I get the exhaust back it will be time to do some tuning. Still have my old maps from my orgininal 06 and some other race maps that I saved.

And unfortunately the VDSTS cable I have will not function with ECMspy or Tunerpro so went ahead and ordered a new cable from xoptiinside. If anyone with a Buell in my neck of the woods wants to play with some data logging and tuning let me know.

Good Times!
  9. armstrong473

armstrong473 Totally gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    PO should have changed those plugs out before dropping off the bike....

*hangs head in shame and slinks out of post*
  10. jonathan.vtec

jonathan.vtec Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. GS750T

GS750T GS750T

Oddometer:
    37,000 miles and the Uly is still my go to scooter. This is the only bike I have ever owned and not had to upgrade the suspension.

[​IMG]
  12. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Notice I was a gentleman and did not name drop....cough, cough!
  13. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok so I have been on the hunt for a '08 up ulysses. Found a few and let a couple get away. May have stumbled upon a couple of 2010s..that a dealer has new on their floor. While they were being discounted pretty good for awhile a year or two ago...now it seems they want a premium price.

So...would I be foolish to pay for a new 2010..I really want a Ulysses. Wouldn't mind a '08 or '09 and it sure seems they trade for a lot less coin. Other question I have is warranty..or lack there of...on a 2010 Buell. I'll have to travel a few hours away to this dealer...I wouldn't think just any HD dealer would want to work on the Buell. I wouldn't want them to either unless I had a major problem.

Thoughts?? I have wanted a Buell for awhile. If I wait much longer it may be too late. I understand you always loose some $...more even when you buy new. Being so few available they can stick to their price. I hate throwing money away.
  14. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    And their price is....

:ear

15. trapperj

Oddometer:
    I haven't got that far yet...I am sorta afraid to ask..lol I would think it's near ratail. I found a 2010 used with 4700 miles at another dealer and Thay want $9295 and didn't seem to want to budge at all. if I go to the dealer I reckon I'd end up bringing one home. I just don't want to make a huge $$ mistake. Although I'll likely keep her awhile and get a lot of enjoyment from her....so maybe I should just bite the bullet and bring one home..

Anyway...you asked about the price...I really don't know...but I am going to find out and report back?
  16. trapperj

Oddometer:
    They are asking $12995..
  17. trapperj

Oddometer:
    Bike is not available..wrong information ...I got all excited for nothing. Oh well ..I'd be much better off buying used anyways. The dealer that was rumored to have a few was NatcheZtrace in Tuscumbia AL. I spoke to a salesman..he said last ones left in September.
  18. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can buy nice low mile '08's and '09's for $6500 - $7500.

Check out badweatherbikers classified section.

Uly's a fun bike.

:thumb :thumb
  19. trapperj

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lornce,

I have been prowling over there for awhile. I fooled around and let a couple get away. Seems to be a really good site for Buell folks. I will continue to search. Seems the few 2010s that are out there demand a premium price. I've heard there's only around 50 2010s in existence? '08 & '09s lots cheaper...that's where I'll look.
  20. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    In regards to 2010 Ulysses models, only 96 XB12X models were produced and in the 800 to 900 ranges for the XT's (WRONG !), according to some obscure web posting, that took forever to find...

996DL