Passing through...looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by timk519, Jun 11, 2014.

1. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings Earthlings!

I'm in Westford MA with my Ram 2500 and a Super Sherpa, and starting Thu I've got a couple of days to spare before I have to be back in Ontario, so I'm looking riding recommendations. I'm looking for places in VT, NH, and NorthEast NY, as well as good stopping places to snooze overnight. I've got the truck converted for sleeping, so anywhere that's quiet will do.

I've also got a leaky front shock on the bike, so I'm also looking for a shop that can take care of that for me.

Thx!
  2. Vt-Stromer

Vt-Stromer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes there is - however that doesn't tell me where I can find some good routes, and my time is rather short for contacting people before I head out tomorrow AM.
  4. 1or2Cylinder

1or2Cylinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    October Mountain State Forest in Lenox and Becket MA would be fun riding if you are street legal. Sort of on the way. The MA Environmental Police watch the entrances but if you are street legal they tell you the trail report and encourage you to have at it.
  5. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Head up north. Unfold map of Vermont. Notice the spine of the Green Mtns running north to south, flanked on the east by Rte 100 and on the west by 7 and in some cases smaller routes a bit further to the east. Now notice that there are just a few routes running east to west thru the mountains. These are the Vermont Gaps, and almost all of them are very scenic. Plan a route using 7/100 as the ladder supports and the gaps as the rungs. Lincoln Gap is dirt for several miles if that makes a difference.

Decent campgrounds (my faves) include Gifford Woods down by Killington, Smugglers Notch near Stowe, and for real tranquility the backside of Waterbury Reservoir accessed from Rte 2 between Waterbury and Bolton. The road passes under I-89 via a tunnel that keeps out the big RVs.

From there either continue up 2 thru the islands and into Quebec, or take one of the northern ferry crossings across Lake Champlain and cut thru the Adirondacks to Ogdensburg and cross into Ontario.

Hope this helps.

Pete
  6. operose

operose Mama tried

Oddometer:

Seconding all of this, maybe even thirding. Did something similar this past week with regards to jumping the green mountains

There is a short hike you can take from Lincoln Gap (it is marked but trail head is on sharp corner) -- It will lead you to here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But you won't have to look at my ugly mug.

It is doable in riding gear I even carried my helmet and backpack up, and it was 80something degrees outside. The trail is steep but the view is worth it

There is a spot just south of Warren, VT / Lincoln Gap Rd on rt100, it is Forest Service road 25. You can camp there, and Austin Brook is amazing

[​IMG]

If you make it to NorthEast New York I would be glad to show you around some stuff in the Potsdam/Colton/Canton areas and surrounding. You can also park at my place to crash if you want, I am in the tent space thread. There is steep singletrack at my place or plenty of trails and gravel roads to ride nearby
  7. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    FactoryConnection in southern New Hampshire is a great suspension shop, but I don't know if they'd be convenient for you (and probably not the right timing). Pro-cycle just outside of Rutland, Vt., is another good shop, but I'd expect them to be booked up a fair ways into the future given the time of year. Might be worth giving one or both a call, though.

Also, Pete's suggestion about crossing the spine back-and-forth is a good one. If you're interested in getting dirty, you might also looked for dotted lines crossing the spine (and the Northfield ridge on the other side of the Rt. 100 valley). A lot of them go through, especially on a small bike (then again, a lot don't). Braintree Mountain Road is a good one, in particular, and the Chateguay area near Killington could be a fun place to explore on the Super Sherpa if you used Gifford Woods as your base of operations.
  8. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the suggestions! :clap I'll be looking into them. :D
  9. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    Good ol' CNY: Schoharie, thru Coop, Unadilla MX, DeRuyter, Cortland [E to W]
    US20, Unadilla MX, Oneonta, Broome-Tioga, Harpersville, Candor, etc.

Too much to explain. There is NO 'easy' way to find "good riding." From my experience, it takes time, DeLorme Atlas savvy, and exploration.

Micro, vs macro. and that's just the 'boundaries' I have listed.

Namaste.
  10. CannonsvilleRider

CannonsvilleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. maddshaggy

maddshaggy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fran Brown in Rutland is the one to help you with your seal leak. Give him a call at 802 773 6574. I have always been happy with his work!
  12. operose

operose Mama tried

Oddometer:
    I got a message from timk519 that his truck is broken and in the shop. Everybody send positive thoughts
  13. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search for the thread on the DARC ride this weekend. Bunch of ADVers camp Sat and do 100 mile dirt ride Sunday.
  14. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Truck is good - busted fuel pump wire :huh - now problem is with cell company telling me operose's number doesn't work :huh:huh. If someone can ping him to check his pm's I'd appreciate it.

Thx! :D

15. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to Higley Flow State park near Colton NY if anyone cares join me. Look for RAM 2500 with a sherpa in the bed. :-)
  16. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a great time with operose & co :clap - rumors about "someone" taking a second bath are greatly exaggerated. :lol3

Thx for the pointers folks! :thumb