Is ATGATT overrated?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by blk-betty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe?

Did you know that you are a hypocrite if you don't wear full racing leathers because Valentio Rossi wears full racing leathers when he races.
  2. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Joe?
  3. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Awww

Now you have run him off.

No respect for his delicate sensibilities at all.

Shame on you Boon Booni, shame, shame, shame.

:rofl

Or, he's just on his way home from work.
  4. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Why me?:lol3
  5. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I didn't make any of those statements. Actually neither did anyone else. :lol3
  6. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:

Wow...project much?

I said exactly where I drew the line...

Could give a fuck how you live..or how you ride..or what you wear when you ride..

I was fairly clear..if I have to cover your risk..you open your self to regulation..

I see the problem..I wasn't quite literal enough for the simple here..so, for you...

As a PEOPLE if WE see fit to share risk thru our current insurance system, then WE as a PEOPLE open ourselves to regulation of those risks..does that make it easier to understand what I previously wrote? Jesus H Christ...you wanna ride naked..knock yourself out..I don't preach attgat..nor do I ride that way..normally, yes..but sometimes, just jeans..

You realize I hope.... those fucktards you speak of..are liberals who try to regulate life and death.

PS..I didn't tell anyone how to live....mouthbbreather..:csm
  7. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    It just sounds right, blame Hendrix. :deal

We can start here..

Here is another..

Here you go...

...and this one when discussing a video of being passed by a car..

8. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:

Boon Booni

Sorry..I attributed the highside thing to you earlier..I should have known..:fpalm
  9. ardbeglily

ardbeglily Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ATGATT is overrated until you work in an ER for the summer, then you might change your mind.
  10. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  11. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    very well might, but I'm not going to try, cause I know that it will do zero damage if I brake and manage to get to 0 mph

predicting damage from a collision is about the same as guessing if you will be injured or not

gear reduces risk of injury, nothing more, nothing less

in a collision ya still don't know if the gear was effective until after the fact

best way to avoid injury is to avoid collision altogether

even in deer country, risk of collision with a deer is less than risk of a left turner, or someone pulling from a drive, in a high traffic metropolitan area

choosing where you ride, when you ride, how you ride, lowers risk of injury a lot more than gear

and ATGATT is still overrated, ask someone from the NFL about helmets & concussions
  12. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that if you bang your head with a motorcycle helmet against another person wearing a similar helmet with as much force and as many times as an NFL lineman or running back does in a season, or, just a game, you too will have concussions. (plural)

All that gear can do is mitigate injury by reducing deceleration trauma.

Try the same headbutting game without either a football or motorcycle helmet and then tell us about how overrated you believe the gear is.

Next player! :evil
  13. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they would say that motorcyclists think cages are underrated. I doubt they would see gear as any answer at all.
  14. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Allright TotoMex , you finally made a point.:clap
  15. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    And cagers would say motorcyclists think cages are overated, until you fall off that motorcycle
  16. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'ts not a head butting game, its football, when you don't have the gear, you play touch

there are always risks, gear just reduces them
  17. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  18. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    No gear nfl is called Rugby, are there so many more head injureies in Rugby (both sports have head injuries pretty much the same - i follow both sports) or is the Peltzman effect here as well and the NFL players take more chances and dont protect their heads because they think gear will save them.
  19. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That always puzzles me about the squid outfit:
    FF helmet but no other protection. Is that so they can be fully conscious and aware of the terrible pain that road rash and its following treatment impart?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  20. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    You keep going on about the Peltzman effect.

What was the percentage of those representing the Peltzman Effect when compared to total population of people in the same specific group? (driver, sportsman, bicyclists, etc.)

What I'm getting at is there is nothing to even suggest that everybody is susceptible to experiencing this effect.

So, the rate increased over normal for drivers in fatal collisions, or collisions overall. The increase was a small amount.

Whatever the difference between it and the normal numbers (imagine a pie chart), when compared to the total number of drivers (who did and did not exhibit indicators for the effect) the Peltzman effect would only apply to that tiny sliver of the body measured that was higher than the norm.

Just because it has been observed doesn't in any way indicate that it would have application to any broad aspect of the population. In fact, most people aren't affected by it as shown in the studies.

Granted, a rider exhibiting Peltzman behavior would indeed be at a higher risk than one who doesn't, it wouldn't be all that significant of a factor overall. Well, except for that rider. :eek1