the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Which is the difference with the Hyper Pro. While great shock, the Cogent shocks are built specifically for the DR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  2. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trophyhunter/ER70S-2; I will still be following this site on a daily basis, just as I do now. I want to see who it is going to be that hits the 15 million post.

Yesterday I wanted to go get something to take back to the Philippines, but, then remembered that I didn't have anything to ride there. I guess it takes some time to get over having a DR-650.
  3. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rick - thank you for putting the time in. Appreciate the explanation.

JP - Look forward to future posts and an occasional pic from PI with you riding something.
  4. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've wondered about the shock reservoir proximity to the exhaust pipe. It seems that exhaust heat gain while riding slow at higher temps in rough terrain might be an issue. Any comments from the experienced and experts? BergDonk put a shorter reservoir on his Ohlins but I was wondering if a bit of asbestos shield between the pipe and reservoir might serve?
  5. JNS Engineering

JNS Engineering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. mts49

mts49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man I wan to personally thank you for posting these jetting specs!

I was also chasing the just-off-idle crack the throttle stumble or flat spot. This made on-off throttle transitions very jerky and was unpredictable when riding slow speeds or offroad. Jesse recm'd the DJ needle on 4th slot but with the tiny washer under the e-clip instead of on top, although this is a richer needle setting than i had before, it actually helped but the stumble was still there...

My setup is now:

500-1000 feet asl
    Stock exhaust and air filter (have a UNI that I need to install)
    Kientech Dyno Jet kit
    155 main
    DJ needle, third slot down from top with only the sanded-flat white spacer under the needle e-clip (this was most important for me)
    Kientech extended fuel screw at 3/4 turn out
    Drilled slide with Jesse's included drill bit
    Jesse recm'd air box mods

Bike starts great, reacts instantly to throttle inputs, and pulls hard all the way up. I would absolutely recommend Kientech, they were excellent to deal with.
  7. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Apologize?

Please, it's us who must thank you for that write-up. The entire discussion should be pinned somewhere (maybe over in DRriders) becuase that was a great review of what Cogent delivers. Thanks Rick. I'm sure you just earned a few more customers.
  8. JNS Engineering

JNS Engineering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black satin powder coat!

[​IMG]
    michnus likes this.
  9. Rocktown

Rocktown Reformed

Oddometer:
    I got to take my dr off road for the first time. I have wondered several times during breaking if I should have gotten a drz-400 or another xr650l. But I was more then impressed with my dr today. It did great on everything I put it throught today, except the sand pit. And that very well may have been my lack of experience. My local ohv park has a variety of terain and trails. It was pretty dry today so I only found a little mud. But it did great on the trails even the heavily rutted and root tangled (hard dried) trails. The sand road was a little trickey. But all in all it exceeded my expectations, even while shode with the stock trail wings. I have been very happy with the bike on the slab sense day one. the dr is the best all around bike I have ever been on. I see myself having years of fun with it. Can't wait to start "farkeling" with it now.:clap:clap
  10. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont get how some people can say this bike can only do fire roads. I wont bore you all with my pedigree of dirt this trip, but suffice to say its been intense at moments and I have no experience in the dirt so it isnt me. It will never be fast, but it will go some really nasty places if you have the balls and arent afraid of throttle.

Sand. What tires do you have on the bike? If you still have the trailwings AKA deathwings, sand will be horrible no matter your skill. The tire is supposed to be even worse (read: impossible) in the mud. With a set of knobbies the DR will do sand, but it is heavy and you cant be afraid of throttle. Down where I live in Pensacola we have really brutal sugar sand- it sucks but applying throttle to get the front wheel to float helps. Trick is when the sand goes for miles. I usually accelerate until im at my speed limit of comfort, drop to the seat and paddle while slowing down, then start accelerating again (standing). I know some guys can do miles at a steady speed standing without issue, but I havent gotten the skill yet. I try to steer with my feet/pegs, but when I hit a rut I need throttle or ill eat shit.

Anyways, enough rambling. Congrats on the bike. Try to be nice to your wallet, because farkeling is going to kill it :lol3
  11. Rocktown

Rocktown Reformed

Oddometer:
    Much agreed. Granted its not a true dirt bike but it will do everything I want to do. And yes I'm still riding on trail wings.
  12. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Armor it up, throw on some knobs, and set up the suspension. It aint no trials bike or race enduro, but the DR can go some crazy places and be a lot of fun doing it. Sand gets considerably easier with at least an aggressive front knob and enough experience/confidence to give it the gas while standing. Mine still runs slab pretty nicely too, and I ride in the sandy and muddy woods with 450 enduros some weekends.
  13. Indytriumph

Indytriumph Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made something similar to that in mild steel then welded it through a hole roughly where that hole is. :deal That looks like it would be bolted but im not sure.
  15. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    I would not have a DR (not my first) if it did not have a place in my riding. IMHO it is not and never will be more than a great 80-20 bike---long pavement rides to limited dirt. It is excellent on fire roads and getting to fire roads. It is passable in my opinion for limited off road. Can an excellent rider get it through some tough off road--absolutely--but an excellent rider is more than likely going to be on a KTM 525 or similar. I would rate my 525 as an 20-80 bike--relatively short paved sections between gnarly dirt sections. Here are some pics of where I consider the DR to be "at home" and one where I would not want to be on the DR. IMHO some knobs and suspension work can't make up for the weight, suspension travel and ground clearance. The best example of the weight is deep sugar sand, lot of it in the dez out here. The DR has the power to plane up and as long as you are going in a bee line fine---but turning will demonstrate Newton's laws of motion:lol3
    Basic Fire Road that got washed out.
    [​IMG]
    DR Handles the short washout--I had just ridden thru--looking back.
    [​IMG]
    Where I would not want to be on my DR....
    [​IMG]
    Would you want to be on a DR here?
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rGhWwESaWO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!!
  17. teaguenotes

teaguenotes ...

Oddometer:
  18. Rocktown

Rocktown Reformed

Oddometer:
    Considering I'm in Arkansas I would have to say I have no sand experience so I would have to sit back an watch you guys ride in the desert. But it did look like you had a blast I'm you video. I'm jealous. I can say that I had my stock dr on trail wings in similar locations as all three pictures you posted. A few places might have been a little worse. That's why I am so impressed with this heavy dual sport dr 650. Did it have some short comings? Yes. But it is by far the best big dual sport I've been on. I've been riding off road sense I was 11, but I am by no means a mx guy. That's why I'm impressed by the dr. Can't wait to hit the trails again.
  19. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

I have enjoyed places like that. Its a matter of preference I suppose. I've had a ear to ear grin coming out of many a rock farms and that's with 50lbs of luggage.

Would a 525 be a better tool? Yerp. Still fun on a DR though :p
  20. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer: