2014 Oklahoma local race series thread.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Silver, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Posted a thread asking about a megathread for local race series as I enjoy reading local racers from C class to A class and their experiences probably more than the higher level racing threads because I can associate more with the riders. It was well accepted so I decided to go ahead and post my states local race series. Figure this thread will be good for entertainment as well as...

1. Rider profiles.
    2. Race reports.
    3. Pics and vids.
    4. Finding other riders in your class that you can possibly set up rides with to work on skills/training.
    5. General chat. Questions about the different series, talk about scoring/times, questions about tracks/courses that you haven't ridden before that others might have.

First and foremost...

[​IMG]

:D

[​IMG]

:evil

[​IMG]

:clap

[​IMG]

Also would love to see other states post up their own local race series thread as well if you feel up to it. Cheers!
  2. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    First up, Oklahoma local race series.

OHSCS: http://ohscs.com/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-Hare-Scramble-Championship-Series/227237380712823

The newest series for OK hare scrambles the Oklahoma Hare Scramble Championship Series. 9 rounds of excellent racing, with the first round coming up soon at Wolfs Den on Feb 23rd.

02/23/2014: Wolfs Den
    03/09/2014: Scipio
    03/23/2014: Gearhart Ranch, Konawa
    04/06/2014: Skiatook
    05/04/2014: Collins Ranch, Hitchita
    05/18/2014: Jupies place, Ada
    *summer break*
    09/07/2014: Gruber ORV park
    09/21/2014: Crosstibers, Draper.
    10/05/2014: Stillwater 500

Next up, OCCRA series: http://www.occra.com/
    Facebook: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OCCRA

I'm sure most are familiar with OCCRA as they have been racing a long time. Good series and some great courses. OCCRA races are two day events with practice being held on Saturdays and races on Sundays. I will be posting the Sunday day for races, but be informed the day before is also a practice day as well. 12 events this year.

03/02/2014: Gearhart Ranch
    03/16/2014: Reynard Raceway
    03/30/2014: Talihina
    04/13/2014: Redlined raceway
    04/27/2014: MPH Charity race
    05/18/2014: Crossbar ranch.
    06/01/2014: Crosstimbers
    06/22/2014: Red River/TORN
    *summer break*
    08/31/2014: Woodward
    09/14/2014: Fry Lake
    09/28/2014: Morris
    10/12/2014: Buckhorn ATV(Ada)

While this is not local to Oklahoma, a lot of Oklahoma racers will be attending most of these events to I'm adding in the BlackJack Enduro series as well.

Black Jack Enduro: *currently the new 2014 BJEC website is down, possibly for maintenence*
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Jack-Enduro-Circuit/159595594143552

3/29/14 BJEC Banquet
    3/30/14 White Rock (TK)
    4/13/14 Indian Nations (TK)
    5/4/14 Hardwood (RS)
    5/18/14 Leadbelt National Enduro (RS)
    6/8/14 Train Robbers (RS)
    6/22/14 Golden Eagle (TK)
    *summer break*
    9/14/14 Wolf Den (RS)
    10/5/14 Barnwell Iron Ore Enduro (RS)
    10/19/14 Crosstimbers (RS)

Legend:
    TK = Timekeeper (traditional enduro)
    RS = Restart format (sort of like an enduro / harescramble hybrid)

All entry fees, race schedules, rider classes, rules, and other info can be found on the websites linked. If you are having trouble finding something feel free to post in this thread to ask about it.

Lastly, I know there is some tension between the two hare scramble series OHSCS and OCCRA. If we could, please keep any bickering/drama between the two series out of this thread. It's all racing anyways and we're all here to have fun, ya know! :)
  3. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Rider profile: Silver.

Series: OHSCS
    Class: Trailriders
    Number: 572
    Speed: Slow and learning.

Info: Started riding 2 years ago at 39. Started entering races about 6 months after that with OHSCS. My results have been horrible, mostly due to being new and out of shape, but looking to improve upon that this year.

Needs work on: Form, Stamina, Speed, oh hell just call it everything.

Goals: Higher finishes, more laps cranked out, and finally possibly a podium.

Worst race to date: Last year, Wolfs Den, 95 degrees and high humidity. Figured out what heat exhaustion was and had to have a sweep rider lead me off the course through a field(can't thank that guy enough, was honestly ready to start writing my will out there sitting on the side of the trail). Basically everything you're not supposed to do when you're overheating, I did. Figured that out later.

Best race to date: Turkey creek last year. Actually made my first few passes, cranked out 2 laps, and basically had an awesome time.

This is me, Skiatook last year. I don't have a visor because a tree grabbed my go pro and almost yanked me off bike, trashed visor, and yeah ouch all around. BUT, first picture that someone else took of me actually in a race so WHOOO.

[​IMG]

Cheers! :1drink

p.s. Ok now you go.
  4. bigfootok

bigfootok Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots to choose from if you're an Okie.

Good job Jason.
  5. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good on ya for posting this up. I used to race the OCCRA series from '90
    to '98. Had a great time and met some good people and made some great friends. My favorite race track was at Erick Ok. which is no longer on the schedule for whatever reason. I quit that series for several reasons, many of which I will not delve into on this forum, but mostly due to time and
    burnout. As for your skill level, all I can tell you is to ride, ride, and ride.
    Your speed and confidence will come to you. Yes it will also help to ride with a faster buddy to help pace you. As for your heat exhaustion, the best I can tell you is that several days before a race be sure you drink lost of water, (probably more than you can stand) and some form of electrolyte replacement supplement. Just don't overdo your electrolyte drink tho as that can also be bad for you. You will have to experiment with what works for you.
    Surely some other Okies will post up their opinions/advice as well.
    Good luck

Robert
  6. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    :y0!

I will be riding most of the BlackJack races, I hope. Planned to compete for season points this year. Maybe I'll supplement with some OHSCS races.
  7. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    edit: ^^ Thank you Jason, edited the race dates post. Will put in new 2014 url when the site is back up.

Thanks Todd! Although your race schedule for this season is pretty damn amazing, maybe see you at one or two of these. :)

Thank you Robert. I've been decidedly a wuss Dec/Jan even with the nice weather, looking to swap that up for Feb and get back at it and ride as much as I can. Faster buddy will help but most of the guys I tend to end up riding with are Int. riders or faster and dust me in the first 100 yards or so. Bonus though, some of them will ride behind me for a bit from time to time and give out pointers/help with form which is awesome.

On the heat exhaustion I just messed everything up. I was well hydrated and drank water/electrolytes starting days before the race. My thing was I stopped. Had a nasty hill climb, wore me out, got a bit sick to my stomach, stopped for a break and then started getting dizzy and decided to sit for a bit. WRONG. I'll probably try to do a write up on what all I learned from it probably later when it starts getting to the hot races more towards June. Don't want to flood the thread too much right from the start. :D
  8. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first couple of years racing cross country were a real learning curve for me, due to lack of skill and stamina. But, the more I rode the better I got.
    I started out in +30 amateur and when I left the series was moved to +40 exp. I never considered myself an expert class rider and still don't but since
    I finished in the top 3 of +40 amateur was moved up.
    So just be patient-you'll get there!

BTW-the OHSCS didn't even exist back then as far as I know!

I would love to get back into racing, maybe not for points/championship,(naw ,who am I kidding?) but With a full time day job and trying to get a machine shop off the ground, time is very scarce. My '13 500 xc-w is just begging to be ridden.
  9. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    I have been in "enduro training" for a few weeks now.

I haven't been able to RIDE much, but I have been hitting the gym every other day for a generalized strength and cardio workout.
    Three core exercises, three lower body, four to five upper body, plus the stationary bike.

I also cut out caffeine, cut back on junk food and empty calories while choosing healthier alternatives, and have been sleeping more (and with more regularity).

Hopefully, I can keep this up for a few more months (and do more riding in that time as well).:dunno
  10. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Nice Robert! Definitely understand the time constraints for sure, hopefully find enough time to get out and ride some. 500's are beasts.

OHSCS is actually really new. I believe it started up about 5ish years ago and was called ATV motion and quad only. They added bikes the next year. The year after that even more bikes showed up. The year after that they decided to change the name to OHSCS to fit the bike/quad format better name wise. And now we're at this year. So yeah, very new series.

OCCRA history I don't know a lot about as all I've done is OHSCS thus far. I plan to try to ride in 1 or 2 of their races this season though. I do know that they have been a series for a loooonggg time with a lot of history which is awesome.

Cheers!

edit: DirtyDog, that owns! I've been a complete putz with no training at all. Going to try to hop on that bandwagon though starting now with the same type of stuff, cardio/strength, clean eating, and whatnot. Better late than never. So we'll see how that goes.

edit2: lol who am I kidding, prob won't do any of that, but I'll think about doing it, really really hard. haha.
  11. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    Nice thread Silver! I am planning on riding some of the BJEC events. I have been hard at work training for the events. My regimen of Light beer only will pay dividends on race day.
  13. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really neat. I have never really thought I could do this but I might like to try. Are large cc bikes allowed? I ride an XR650L. I would likely be at the back of the pack but it would still be fun.

[​IMG]
  14. bmeador

bmeador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any CC bikes are allowed to race in off road races, that bike will do fine, it's not ideal but if DIRTYDOG can ride enduros on a KLR 650 any things possible!
  15. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Like Brady said, it's run what ya brung. I've seen CR500's, Vintage bikes, WR250R's, KLR's, so yeah no limit on CC size. You'll have a good time. It's pretty addictive though, so you might end up with another bike in the garage that's lighter and more race ready after a few races on the 650, it's happened to others. :D
  16. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    I started with this:
    [​IMG]

Now I'm racing on this:
    [​IMG]
  17. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    ^^^^^ aka Captain Awesome

Jason not me
  18. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    Chicken Creek Gran Prix????? 2/9/14

Who else??
  19. bmeador

bmeador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me!!! We are putting the race on!
  20. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    Could be a little chilly :vardy. What is the address to Chicken Creek?