NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. fikse

fikse All-season-rider

Oddometer:
    Nice. I have had several Bridgestones formerly (BT20, 21, 90 and more) and have been quite happy with them, though expensive. On the NX I use ContiTrailAttack in front, and a Pirelli Diablo Scooter rear. Front tyre is very good (but a bit too wide, 110/80), rear (130/80-16) is OK on dry but slippery when wet. At the moment I use studded Heidenau Snowtex / Silica winterreifen, now the winter with ice and snow is here :ricky
  2. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This sucks :huh. NX250 parts are extremely rare and thus expensive, even in Europe. But maybe now it’s time to get rid of the heavy and fragile headlight and get something more affordable and lighter, for instance from a Kawasaki KLX. The speedo fits exactly around the steering lock and it even has a tachymeter.

[​IMG]
  3. scrambler66

Oddometer:
    Hey, I though I`m the only NX250 collector around - at the time beeing, I got 4 of them, too:

NX250 in badly used condition (by me :eek1)
    XL250 degree in mint condition
    AX1 badly mistreated by previous owner
    NX250 for spare parts

If German is one of your native languages, you may want to take a look at the German forum www.hondadominator.de – which has a nice NX250 subforum :clap
  4. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    Doesn't one of the old 80s/90s Honda CBR's use the NX headlamp glass assembly?

CBR600, or CBR1000 Hurricane?
    Maybe it was the VTR 250, or the VFR 750?

seem to recall this odd fact coming up at some point in the past.......

I'm positive one of those(or a different one) old Hondas used the exact same glass assembly, same mounts etc..

but cannot verify which specific one at this time...
    and my local Honda dealer closed a while back, so no 'behind the Honda parts counter' access, currently..
  5. VWBajaRacer

VWBajaRacer n00b

Oddometer:
    Tecate CA... home of the Beer and the good bread
    After much hacking, bloody knuckles and cussing i finally got that GSXR shock on the bike. and i must say it made a HUGE difference. i can actually jump the bike now. (on a negative side the dampening is still to soft for serious acrobatics, both rebound and compression) i had to hack the hell out of the air box (no worries it was bad already, was broken and sucking in air on the clean side of the filter, glad i caught it) ill post pictures soon. but now my dilemma is i cant for all hell figure out how to put a proper air filter on the bike. the reservoir of the shock wont let me run the filter backwards so i gotta go up. im thinking of getting a flexible air hose and run it up and over the reservoir to whats left of the air box and put a filter in there but i feel that the rubbing against the reservoir is gonna hole the tube. i cant put a straight to carb one either because i ain't got the space, straight from the carb it MUST go up to clear anything.
  6. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Dang be those deer, I lost a friend to one this year. :cry
    I am very glad you got out of that one in good shape.
    Too bad the nixie really got dinged up.
    I don't think I have any of the parts you are looking for unfortunately.

I may have a set of stock pegs though. I will look.
    PM if you need em.
    Also what front tire is that?

a big thanks to all for the the contributions to the thread lately
    lots and lots great info
    hats off

7. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    That's a MEFO Explorer on the front wheel. Pretty happy with it. It's a pretty high mileage tire.

Quite a few folks have PMed me regarding parts. I'm very grateful. The right side peg looks to be repairable and I think the only part I'm out now may be the rear taillight lens. Since I have to replace the right side cowl, and BikeBandit is out of stickers, I'll probably end up reproing the stock "HONDA" and "NX250" stickers. Just in case anyone is interested.
  8. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Ah yes the explorer thanks
    Repros - I still probably have the honda files kicking around somewhere when I was printing my masks.
  9. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    Would anyone here be interested in a complete CR85 front end already set up to bolt onto an NX250? Bearings, triple clamps, etc....all done and it works nicely.

I may be purchasing another NX and plan to part it out, just gauging interest.
  10. fikse

fikse All-season-rider

Oddometer:
    Any hint regarding $$?
  11. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    You've already got printable files for the stickers?
  12. audioworks04

audioworks04 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in need of a left side tank shroud due to my beloved nx being knocked over by a bear at the cabin we stayed at on our last trip to Colorado. Would prefer an blue 89, but any color would do. Also need a new set of decals if anyone has any on file or extras.
  13. polarized

polarized Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    I found a cheap 21" DID rim for the front I want to put on the nx but I'm not sure about the spokes...

Are they universal or are there honda specific ones out there?

I've never touched spokes before, is this something I should have someone else install who has some knowledge?
  14. RollingJ

RollingJ The mud in your eye

Oddometer:
    21" front tire conversions are a little more difficult than swapping the rear for a 17", not withstanding lacing up a new rim and hub if you have never done it before. Add the price of the rim and the spokes and you may want to look at other options. Do NOT use Moose spokes. OEM or Buchanan spokes are the way to go, and it will be a custom job.

Let's think about tire clearance for just a minute. The 21" won't fit under the stock fender/forkbrace. I went with a supermoto fender mounted under the lower triple tree, which required removing the front brake crossover and fitting a SS braided brake line. I then had to have two inches added to the sides of the fork brace because the handling was horrid without it (my local welder did a great job for $20). On full compression the brace spreads the sides of the fender but the top does not smash into the triple. It's very close, though. I also added a 1" spacer to the top of the fork springs to preload the springs as they are super soft.

If you are still in, I have a 21" front wheel off of a 96xr250l I am parting that fits great. You will need a your old brake disc and bolts or a new one with new bolts. PM me if you are interested.
  15. scrambler66

Oddometer:

Depends on the tire dimension. 3.00-21 and 90/90-21 have a much wider diameter; some 2.75-21 and 80/90-21 may fit under the original fork brace. But I haven’t tried real knobby tires of this dimension

[​IMG]

but I prefer to go with the 90/90-21 and without the fork brace – I never missed it, since once you get used to, you automatically compensate the twisting of the fork when braking hard. And I agree, it’s way too expensive to build a customized wheel since all front wheels from XL350/600, XR250 and from older XR600 (with 15mm axle) will fitt plugandplay – same 240mm brake disc. And some decent fork springs would always be a good idea, not only offroad
    :clap

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18966747&postcount=5298
  16. polarized

polarized Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help guys. I already have springs from a crf230l in the fork which seems to be pretty decent, although it still dives under braking more then I would like.

I'll just have to try it without the fork brace first and see if I need to make up a new one.
  17. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    was going to do a 'writeup' on how-to-service-carb, but haven't had time...

so, how about posting a few dozen photos of the NX250 carburetor ??

DEAL!:evil
    [​IMG].[​IMG].<= dirty original carb
    Accelerator pump diaphram & rod[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG]
    [​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].<= bowl
    [​IMG].[​IMG].
    jet holders/needle jet[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].
    throttle adjuster[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].

Other views...
    [​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].
    [​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].
    [​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].......

Click any of the above for LARGER pics..

Yeah, i know, the needle jets are TOTALLY clogged.....The NX ran a great deal better, performance-wise after this service...
    This was the original 20yo carb with 45,000 miles..:deal

This will forever be known as 'the carb post', #5837, page #390..
  18. tntmo

Oddometer:
  19. Orkodelamuerte

Orkodelamuerte Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If only you were somewhere closer, or if it were easy to deliver to argentina. I'd be buying you some parts.. Good luck..
  20. tntmo

Oddometer:
    San Diego isn't that far. Let's meet half way!