Searching opinions and riding pals for Sept: Czech rallly Zlin, Romania, France

Discussion in 'Europe' started by moto rrad, Aug 13, 2014.

1. moto rrad

moto rrad ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    As you may guess from the thread title, I am undecided on my riding destination..

I will be leaving on the 28th of Aug from Muenster, Germany (northwest) and heading to _______________________?

Firstly, a bit aboot me: I'm 25, from Canada but living in Germany. Riding a Suzuki XF 650. I like twisty roads, and am getting the hang of off road riding. When moto travelling I prefer to avoid the big cities - they are fun and interesting however can be a hassle on the motorbike. noww...

I have a little over two weeks time, (I will need to be back on the 14th of Sept.) My current options which I am considering are:

Option 1: RIDE EAST, stop at the IRC rally Zlin in the Czech republic for the 29th through 31st of Sept to watch some maniacs slide their cars around. I've never been to a rally, have always wanted to visit, and here is the opportunity http://www.czechrally.com/

After the rally, enter into Slovakia, a short stint through Hungary then into Romania basically just following the Carpathian mountains.

I really have no route plans, I would like to ride as much off road as possible, and see some picturesque towns and smaller cities. Things that come to mind when I think Romania: Transylvania (Dracula), wooden churches, Transfăgărășan, Transalpina. I will stay in the northern regions, and away from the coast simply because I will not have time to see it all. Can you make me any other suggestions?
    [​IMG]

Option 2: Viva la France!

Ride down through Belguim (Ardennes region), into France along the eastern boarder into the Vosges region, continuing south stop at Lac du Bourget, then to cross into Italy to have a couple days off roading based out of Bardonecchia.

Continue south through the french alps, ride the route Napoleon, along the French Riviera to the Pyrenees. I would very much like to ride some days of off-road / gravel track. Is this possible in the Pyreneese? I think I've seen a ride report on the topic before here on ADV but cannot find it at the moment..

Through the Pryenees, then up the Atlantic coast of France, back into Belgium and then wieder Deutschland.. can anybody make suggestions for the west coast of France? I really do not know what to see other than Mont Saint-Michel comes to mind!
    [​IMG]

So people, forgive my indecisiveness. However, if anybody can offer some stories, suggestions, or ride reports to sway my opinion, please, pipe up! If you are able to provide any offroad tracks, or recommendations I would be very grateful :)

If anybody wants to meet me, tag along, go for a beer, you name it.. even better!

I'll leave you a with a pic of me from last year on Mt Jafferau
    [​IMG]
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. moto rrad

moto rrad ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Ya we, that is me and him (him and I?), seem to have some similar ideas going on hey :raabia

Not to offend anybody -- I was just posting in both threads with the hopes that the right person will come across it. If this is inappropriate, breach of forum taboos, then I'll kill it off!

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot, that's fine :freaky:freaky
  4. ftw

ftw Live to live, ride to ride

Oddometer:
    Am now in the process of re-locating to Prague for my next 3-year service posting, so if everything goes neatly as planned will be there by the time you're coming to CZ. Will feel privileged to offer my hospitality and garage space or just have a couple of beers. Will PM my Prague address and tel. number as soon as know them myself.
  5. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. moto rrad

moto rrad ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Guys, thanks a bunch for the replies and suggestions. !

@FTW my Romania route would have me bypassing Prague in time to make it out to the rally at Zlin. Feel like joining for a rally? Will you have a bike operational?

On my way back (if I have time) I would love to stop over in Prague. It's always been on my "to see" list but I never quite make it there.

route planning is still up in the air anywho. I'm wrenching on the bike in my free time to get things ready. Taking a look at the prospective weather forecasts, and the good news is the the weather is better than in Germany, for both France and Romania .. but that it not difficult because it feels like October here at the moment :rofl

cheers
    stu
  7. ftw

ftw Live to live, ride to ride

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for now the plan is to buy and register one locally once I'm there rather than bother bringing over one or more of my present bikes. So, if everything goes as planned I should be able to ride my own within a week or two after my arrival. Even if not, you're welcome to stop at my place on your way back. Will PM you the details as soon as have them myself.
  8. fierstf

fierstf girl power

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I am an American woman currently staying in Germany (I am about 3 1/2 hours away from you). My BMW F800 GS should arrive next week, and I hope to have it registered by the 28th. I am free for a week. If our schedules work out, I would be happy to ride together for a few days. I need to be back in Germany by the evening of Sept 4th.

Thanks,
    Frances
  9. Getitdirty

Getitdirty Ride Bosnia

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    I live in Sarajevo should any of you decide to head down this way. Can't join your trip Aug-Sept but planning now for late-October ride. Probably head East from here for 10 days.