KTM 1190 problems?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by AdvStrider, Jul 25, 2013.

1. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    Mine has developed a coolant leak. Just a couple drips when I am done. Going to dive in when my fuel tank has less fuel. Any suggestions on what to look for from someone who had this problem?
  2. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:

is it dripping from the bottom of the tank on the left side? if so mine was the top radiator hose clamp that was loose. you can get to it with the stock tools (I was on the road) by just removing the left side cover.
  3. gunshot72

gunshot72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having to check my coolant level every 500 miles because it consistently decreases. I must have a slow leak somewhere.

Now my headstock bearing is loose.
  4. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the coolant leakage issues, tighten every hose clamp that is not a clinch on type, make sure the radiator cap is tight, and then that the vent hose out of the cap (going to the overflow tank) is seated. The slow leaks all come out of these areas.
  5. 1190ADV

1190ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mentioned about a week ago I was taking my 1190 in for an oil leak at 1300 miles. Well I dropped it off last Tuesday and it wasn't touched until this Tuesday. They eventually figured out where it was coming from after cleaning multiple times and multiple test drives. It was coming from the oil pump on the left side of the motor. They did not replace anything just removed the oil pump and applied some sealant to the pump. I have only put about 50 miles on it since the repair but leak seems fixed. Before the repair after cleaning, it would only take about 20 miles to see a decent leak to show back up.
  6. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
    I was down in Durango CO. last week and had problems with my 1190r.
    Came out of the motel in the morning, went to start the bike, ran just briefly then quit.
    Could smell fumes like it was flooded, it would crank and try to fire but wouldn't.
    Messed with it for several hours no joy, towed it to the local KTM shop and borrowed their plug wrench, (after I realized the stock tool kit doesn't have a plug wrench) the only plug I could get to on the outside rear was fine.

Figured it was the fuel pump.
    The bike is in my local shop now. They tell me they can get to it on the 11th Aug.

On my 2012 SMT I had a fuel filter plug up at around 5K but it would still run just badly at higher rpm. I removed it and cleaned it out in clean gas, replaced it and never had another problem with it.
    I cleaned the 1190 filter the same way before this trip. It wasn't plugged, I just wanted to make sure. So I'm not thinking it is a filter problem this time.

Will keep everyone posted on what we find out next week.
  7. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone with the R model having any issues with the seat rubbing the frame, wires, and plastic sides under the seat? 1,500miles on bike. Nothing big, just wondering if others look the same. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  8. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    I have a bit of paint rubbed off the frame on the left side of the bike
  9. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    That sucks.....could you hear the pump when you switched it on?
  10. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, more left side for me too. I'm going to figure out a way to raise the stock seat this weekend. Will post result. Looks easy to do.
  11. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    No wear on either side of mine. I find it rather fussy to mount the two front slots of the seat on the tank bushings and then snap it down on the mounts, but once that is done, the seat is firmly suspended above the harness and frame. Do your seats fit in the same way?
  12. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    The standard model with heated seats is the same, the silver is the heat insulation rubbing off. Fitment/design of the seat is poor at best as I've broken my heated seat slots already and the second heated seat is showing the same damage, look for tears in the plastic slots.

I found that the KTM heated seat wires are also poorly designed as there is no proper routing and they are easily squashed when the seat is placed...same goes for the passenger control button, all after though and poorly designed.
  13. Roadtripy

Roadtripy Asjemenou

Oddometer:
    Me too, looks the same, only on the left side
  14. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
    No I couldn't hear the pump so I'm figuring it is a fuel pump issue.
    No codes were thrown though.
  15. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like there's a solution for the air box issue CPR Rottweiler has a complet system coming out similar to the 990/950
  16. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
  17. CaliBerger

CaliBerger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike just went in under warranty for a bad right side engine case clutch cover (part#3 in the microfiche).

I guess they had a bad batch that was improperly cast and was porous letting oil weep out.

:cry
  19. Alarm

Alarm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Same here. I heard that sometimes even after replacement the problem is not fixed.

I got also problems with the forks (leaking oil).
    Electronics: The bike does not store the riding mode. It returns always to street.
  20. manxkipper

manxkipper Fishpistel

Oddometer:
    I wondered when someone else would have this problem. I found it odd that I was the only one. Make sure that the replacement cover does not have the same issue as the defective one - my experience hence two covers later!