Giant Loop - Oregon, Nevada 08

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wachs, Jun 22, 2008.

1. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    What a great trip. 1209 miles of back country cruising through deserts, canyons, playas and several mountain ranges that we've seen before and some new territory too. So many stories and lots of photos. Hilarious jokes and situations that will be hard to translate but suffice to say we saw some top-drawer Oregon Hillbilly country, Nevada surprises and even a pretty good sized pile of modern day hippies. It started out in town where we all met up at the gas pump and headed out for the desert. About 30 miles into it we saw this cool guy and his partner on an R80 (?). Brad has lots more photos of the beginning of day one so I'll let him fill in.

[​IMG]
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    We'll be reading...

:lurk
  3. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Brad21, where are the pics? :wink:
  4. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Wow. All I can say. Been wanting to tag along with Herr Gaylord of Wox for a few of his last trips out to the promised land. FINALLY my schedule meshed with his and it was ON BABY!

Day One:

Wox, Spongebrad and Pegz meet at the Chevron for a 10-ish departure. The plan was to make the Hart Mtn. hot springs by this evening with a gas-up in Plush.

[​IMG]

the before:

[​IMG]

We motor out of town via Ford Rd. and Sand Springs, where we saw the old Bimmers. Cool.

[​IMG]

Wox collects a bee or something in his Tron suit and proceeds to dance like a hippie:

[​IMG]

Motoring south to Fandango past Crack in the Ground:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more...

5. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
  6. brad21

Oddometer:
    Left turn down Fandango and we shortly are presented with this WTF moment:

[​IMG]

The vid kinda spells it out, listen for the Banjos:

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/v/vid188.photobucket.com_albums_z189_baconsandwich21_Giant%2520Loop%252008_bradcatlow1133.flv" height="361" width="448">

Yeah, jeez guys you're miles from nowhere without the help of another vehicle and you're mudding the bunny wagon. Your Darwin award is in the mail. :doh

Yes there was dust, but it could've been much much worse.

[​IMG]

The first of many wild horse herds we saw during the ride:

[​IMG]

Outstanding powerline road:

[​IMG]

Short helmetcam vid of this section:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/v/vid188.photobucket.com_albums_z189_baconsandwich21_Giant%2520Loop%252008_powerline2.flv">

more...

7. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm so jealous..... My riding this summer is done. Ended up with sugery to reattach the tendons in my thumb. I was soooooo looking forward to one of these long trips... Ok, enough about me.... More please!!!!!
    Cheers
  8. DualSport650

DualSport650 Lucky Burglar

Oddometer:
    Oh, this ought to be good.

Bring on the ride report and pics! :evil
  9. deadbird

deadbird Very Large Bird

Oddometer:
    We need more!
    Keep it comming.
    -Ezra
  10. brad21

Oddometer:
    Up to the end of the powerline and we make a left on top of the hill at the microwave station.

[​IMG]

Wox knows a way thru these canyons to drop us into Plush. At least he thought he knew. In the end it was all good and we popped out on Hogback Rd. Some gas and beer and up the mountain we ventured to our resting place at the Hart Mtn. hot springs...

Little did we know the fate that awaited us in the form of little flying insects with pointy noses. :yikes
  11. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
  12. wachs

Oddometer:
    Yeah so we head out like Brad says and it’s warm but not roasting, kinda dusty but windy and we know how to split up or ride side by side and basically, we know where we’re going. Best to just get out there quick like and not mess around too much so we didn’t shoot much of the first 100 miles or so. Brad has this road wired , even with all the camping stuff on:

[​IMG]

Familiar stop on the way to hwy 395 is this lookout. Not manned yet but when the spring grasses all dry up it’s going to be busy.

[​IMG]

The old Fort Rock volcano sitting out there, a nice day for sure.

[​IMG]

We’re rallying this rocky canyon just minding our own business, trying to get as many miles done without flatting in the rocky sections and coming down the hill I see some weird shape in the middle of this usually dry water tank. Slowing down I’m talking in my helmet sayin: “ NO way, no fukin way, aw shit, no way!” As soon as I shut my bike off I hear someone saying the same thing but on the other side of the bog. Out of the sage comes these 2 fellas in camo with some kind of AK or AR and asking for beer and/or smokes. What were you thinking?!?!? We could produce a whole thread just about these fellow Oregonians but there’s so much more ahead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun in places, slow and nasty in others, this route gets it done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost to 395

[​IMG]

Thought we’d check out a new section as a possible short cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kinda didn’t work out - it went where hoped but after Fandango and this rock pile, I was ready for some high-speed gravel and this little diversion towards Plush.

[​IMG]

Rode this line several years ago solo, the opposite direction in a driving rain storm. This is much better and not nearly as intimidating as I remembered it.

[​IMG]

Of course, my tiny brain can’t remember exactly the way, we get all tangled up in some lush meadows and seasonal swamps but eventually hack our way through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found our way to a nice camp spot and broke out the frosties we bought in Plush.

[​IMG]

Serious discussion in the hot spring that night. I think we did something like 230 miles of hard country to this first night’s camp. Would’ve taken more photos but the mosquitos tried to steal my camera and had to jump in the tent to keep them off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather was perfect, no flats, a few wrong turns (is there such a thing?) and the bikes are drinking high desert air like a gambler with free drinks in Reno.
  13. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    :nod :lurk Bring it on boys. "I want some more" (add your own Oliver Twist voice here).:wink:
  14. StihlRigg

StihlRigg Dog Farkler

Oddometer:
    Oh man, what a great start. I really wish I could have done the whole trip with you guys. I'm waiting anxiously to see the rest of the ride.

:clap:clap:clap:freaky
  15. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    :clap

Looking forward to this.......

16. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    Gotta love it!

17. wachs

Oddometer:

You woulda fit right in on this one!
  18. wachs

Oddometer:
    Day Two:

Mosquitos are some of the most aggressive units I’ve ever had the mis-fortune to experience. They were literally driving us insane. I have no idea why I took this picture.

[​IMG]

We didn’t pack. We just jammed all our stuff on the bikes and fled as fast as we could.

[​IMG]

We figured there was a better place to have breakfast so we rolled out of that swamp and into the desert looking for a spot to regroup.
    Obviously the good part about all the recent rain was the desert is washed clean right now, there are very few tracks and all the flowers are out in force. At times, the fragance was so powerful it really smelled just like Mother’s Day at the florist.

[​IMG]

We had our morning fortitude and rolled out of there. This little playa has played tricks on me before - it looks dry but suddenly turns to a foot of oatmeal. Not today, I rolled it first and radioed back to the fellas “Hit it as fast as you want!” And they did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode across this section pretty fast and are now headed for a cold spring to fill the water bags. Not too hot out, in fact the temps are very comfortable and with the new ventilated armor it’s perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some kind of mustard seed weed but still pretty.

[​IMG]

Filled with fresh water and rinsed off we’re ready for the rest of the day.

[​IMG]

We rode up this hillside for about 4 miles - all uphill and a gain of 4000 vertical feet for the outrageous views. I thought I remembered seeing a track off the south side to another old road that would take us east.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the summit (8000+ feet) looking south into Nevada. Spectacular clean air and 50 mile views in all directions. We hung out up here until we couldn’t take anymore of the ‘Sound of Music’ atmosphere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, so there was no track off the south side. This is the only photo I could mange to grab and it looks easy but isn’t. There was no dirt right here just stones. Todd managed a decent line off the summit but Brad was foolish enough to follow me and I chose the wrong route by about 50 feet. Ended up almost flipping my machine off a ledge into a pile of rock. This is where you could easily get hurt and ruin the whole thing.

[​IMG]

That’s Todd way down there on the saddle and you can see the ‘road’ we’re trying to reach.

[​IMG]

Brad has another version of this section but we made it down and found the route along a drainage that will take us where we need to go. Funny how this area here us usually just dirt because of the cattle but they haven’t been turned out yet.

[​IMG]

This section is really fun and I’ve wanted to ride it backwards but never had the chance until today. It’s all fun until I look back and no one is coming. Brad radios that Todd (Pegz - we’ll explain that later) has a flat.

[​IMG]

not a problem or a bad place to do the dance.

[​IMG]

This road is an absolute blast riding either direction. Fast, twisting 2-track along a mellow hump for miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hit this pass like we’re racing Erzberg. I have the 525 pinned in places (that thing hauls ass even with all the camping crap on) and am hanging on up the hill to get this shot of the others.

[​IMG]

We pull into Fields hungry for lunch and as usual, are not disappointed. I had the best BLT in Oregon. The guy cooking owns this Vtwin 750 qwad that was very tempting to test ride but I chickend out.

[​IMG]

Filled with food and fuel we are heading east to meet up with our buddies that should be camped out near another hot spring. I’m hauling ass under this powerline and I see a really bright head light about a mile ahead. The bike is stopped and when I pull up the rider has a pint of tequila in one out stretched arm. It’s IdahoJoe!!!! NO WAY! He actually found us en-route as if we had planned it this way - well, we did kind of plan it. I had emailed him the when and where but still . . .

[​IMG]

to the beer coolers!

[​IMG]

Icy cold ones for all and Pat brings out the Honda for a hot lap session. Fast friendships were made and lots of good jokes all around.

[​IMG]

Too soon Joe was gassing up the 950SE for the run back to Boise. We tried to talk him into staying with us but dedicated professional that he is, refused our offers due to work the next day. Next time I hope he brings Daisy and we get to hang out longer. (Let's get that fall trip on the calendar Joe!)

[​IMG]

I gave him my BMC theme sticker and off he went leaving a stitch in the road only a V-twin could make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Wow, AWESOME report!
  20. Juntura

Juntura Obsessive Lurker

Oddometer:
    Wachs,

I ve been driving the Oregon desert for a decade now and have got to say that you capture the beauty of it perfectly. I drove down there on my way to Redding California from Missoula Montana in the late 90's and fell in love. Only problem is that all of my photos suck so nobody can understand what I see in it. Thanks for the awesome pics.

One question- do you GPS waypoint most of your trip or just go by feel?