Charlotte: Ride Planning, 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet and General Hooliganism

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by JoeyBones, Nov 5, 2009.

1. StarWolve

StarWolve Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I like the design, but I don't think I can run it on my DR. I switched to Protaper EVO CR Bend bars, which are 1 1/8" diameter at the mounts. It looks like this is only for 7/8" bars.

A lot of riders go to the 1 1/8" mount so that they can eliminate the crossbar. That was part of my reasoning as well - it gives me a clean place to mount my phone/GPS and makes it easier to see the Vapor display I'm adding.

I was out of town for work the last few days, but I only have a few mods left to complete on the DR. Rejetting, upgraded rear spring, rear suspension service, and vapor computer mount are all that's left, then I'm hoping to take a couple days off to get it dirty!
  2. E.R.Minman

E.R.Minman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    let me know when you are ready, I can show you a few secret spots.
  3. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a blast trying out the bike - it's setup very nice and runs strong. You're going to LOVE getting that bike on a road like 181 or the BRP. What a sweet machine.
  4. StarWolve

StarWolve Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Looking forward to it. I also need to get those squared off trail wing tires swapped out for the 606's.
  5. maffud

maffud Now with 30% less maffud.

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I haven't done enough riding before or after the change to provide much more info. My Moab shock has the heavy duty spring, and that was the main improvement I could see right away. With your weight and the weight of your bike, you certainly don't need that. I was afraid just upgrading the spring would overload the damping ability of the stock shock, because I've had that happen on other another bike.
  6. BOIKE333

BOIKE333 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what it was....Now I am looking for jacket, pants, gloves and boots if anyone has some old ones they want to get rid of...for a good price!
  7. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    Cool, looking forward to seeing it next meetup or ride. :clap
  8. pieeye

pieeye Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer:

If your don't mind hi-viz, I have a set of Olympia MotoX gear ( jacket, pants and all the liners) just gathering dust in the closet that I'd let go on the cheap.....
  9. BOIKE333

Oddometer:
    I like hi viz, but do they have protection in case of an off?
  10. Dirty Lloyd

Dirty Lloyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boike check out the clearance area at competition accessories, I sometimes find good stuff there. There are sometimes good deals on the floor as well, plus you get to try them on.

Exit 82 Rock Hill.

L.
  11. maffud

maffud Now with 30% less maffud.

Oddometer:
    Is anyone planning a ride this weekend? It looks like the weather should be fantastic. I'd really like to hit some unpaved stuff on the KLR. I have all day Saturday, so would be up for riding in SC, Western NC, Uwharrie, or whatever. I could ride on Sunday, but I'd have to be back by 3 PM, so Saturday is better.
  12. BOIKE333

Oddometer:
    And as a matter of fact I just got an email from them as a matter of fact, and they are having a 40-50% off sale this week. Yay there is also a new WRR#69, everybody's favorite number, or at least the Hayden's
  13. Flasher

Flasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BUT, I am headed to Raleigh for the State Fair early tomorrow a.m..Hope to eat till I :puke1. I can smell the peppers,onions and sausages cooking from here. And don't forget the onion rings.:clap
  14. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider

Oddometer:
    I stopped by the hospital last night to visit with Bill. They finally operated on his shoulder/arm on Thursday morning. He's still very sore and has bruises along his entire right side. His pelvis is broken in three places, so he won't be able to walk for at least two months. Once he's strong enough to leave the hospital, he'll be in a wheel chair for the two months that he's not supposed to walk.

He had quite a fall last Sunday! He had just transitioned from his tree stand onto his ladder and was preparing to climb down when the top strap holding the ladder to the tree broke. He looked at the strap, noticed it was beginning to fray and at that instant it snapped. He feel 23 feet to the ground and landed on his right side. Luckily, his son John was hunting with him that day. Bill was able to use his radio to call John who was approximately 350 yards away from Bill.

Once emergency services technicians arrived and assessed the situation, they called for an air lift to get Bill from Chester, SC (where he was hunting) back to Charlotte to CMC main in Uptown.

In spite of the serious injuries he suffered, Bill is in good spirits and knows he's lucky that it wasn't worse. He told me that he hopes to make the November get together at Hawthorne's, but will have to wait until closer to then to see how he's doing.

Numa
  15. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider

Oddometer:
    Was experimenting this morning with my newest camera mount. Took the photo below with it and still had another 10 feet higher that I could have raised the camera. Can't wait to get it up in the mountains to grab some shots where vegetation has precluded me in the past from getting the clear view I desired.

[​IMG]

The new mount will allow me to raise the camera up to 35 feet off of the ground.

Numa
  16. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We really need a picture (or drawing) of the mount!

Jon
  17. GTV630

GTV630 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My mom went through a similar experience about 10 years ago. She was riding her street bike in some twisty roads and went off the road wide in a corner. When she dropped off the edge of the road, it high sided her, and she landed in some riff raff, breaking her pelvis. She also got a helicopter ride to the hospital. They had to install a stainless steel frame to keep her pelvis aligned while it healed. Was pretty odd. She had a bar sticking out of her on each side of her pelvis and another connecting the two. Looked like someone mounted a towel rack on her! It is a long recovery process, but the good news is she is fine today and still rides. Good luck to you Bill, we will keep you in our prayers!
  18. Flasher

Flasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can be a long, slow process that can be depressing at times. At times you feel as if nothing is going right, then something makes you smile and all is better. Been there, done that. With the support of your family and friends, you deal with it the best you can.
    That being said, if there is anything we can do, let us know.​
  19. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  20. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider

Oddometer:
    I worked half a day today and by the time I was finished, it was too late to make arrangements for a ride. I decided to drive up into the mountains in my truck and head across Maple Grove Church Road to play with my new camera mount.

This photo is taken at approximately 6 feet off of the ground on my new mount, but before it is extended.

[​IMG]

Here's the same location with the mount extended so the camera is 30 feet off of the ground.

[​IMG]

Here's another photo taken from 30 feet off the ground. I was standing a little down hill from my pickup truck when I took this one, but notice how the perspective is showing down on the truck.

[​IMG]

While up on Maple Grove Church Road, I came across what was literally a mule train. Five covered wagons, each being pulled by a three-mule team.

[​IMG]

I will try to take a picture of the mount tomorrow after work and will post it as per JMforPres' request.

Numa