Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    Well done!!!!!!! Watching that made my day hope to do a trip like that with my grandsons some day. AB:-)
  2. skychs

skychs chuck smith Supporter

Oddometer:
    B.E. Coyote

Very nice video. Looks like you experienced a lot of good weather. The experience with your son .... priceless.
  3. Downer

Downer Downer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't sit down for comfortably for a couple of days after that.

I had the bonus of getting it on a ship that had done it the year before so there were a lot of first time Shellbacks embracing the tradition. I never looked at a fire hose the same way again.

I somehow lost that certificate and it is one of the few things from that era I wish I still had.
  4. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic way to start the morning! Great trip and incredible video Brian. Thank you for sharing it with us.

jeff
  5. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think we'll have any problem:

[​IMG]

:D

6. DirtDoctor

DirtDoctor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian,

Fantastic video of your Alaska trip with your son...thanks for sharing! :thumb
  7. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

You're a pretty cool dad..
  8. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome video. Were most of the bears just on the side of the road with you taking pics? I don't know if I'd want to stop for grizzlies with cubs. :eek1
  9. skychs

Oddometer:
    Camping....

Today my daughter Danielle (23 y/o) and I rode out to Alhambra and Wiggins Spring Road looking for camp sites. I think she actually enjoyed the big GS off road. When we hit scat road I got her airborne a couple of times. Each time she would scream as loud as she could then all I could hear was laughing. The only time I got hit was riding over the BRP on Hwy 60. She didn't care for the twists going over the mountain. Said she got car sick. :D

Anyway .... There are two nice spots just before the big switchback on Alhambra. Both have water but right now the creek is very low. All the others are either too close to the main road or one of the huge sites you normally see campers in. There were already two sites occupied.

Above the switch back there really isn't a good spot until you get to where the AP crosses Wiggins. After that there is Scat camp. Danielle actually liked that spot because how open and nice it is. Just no water.

Macon .... we never made it over to Big Levels or the top of Shoe Creek. After eating at the Mexican restaurant in Buena Vista we simply ran out of time.

Maybe Friday we can hit that area and look around before we pick a spot. My plan is to ride out Friday morning.

Jersey Mark called me today and said he may ride down. Im trying to get him to take a couple sick days so he can stay the entire time.

Who else is still going?
  10. Charles

Charles Formerly known as Dr Whipit Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm so in, I've hit the other side! I'd like to get a headcount. I'm planning on bringing grub and suds for the group since I'm caging it up there. If anyone needs me to bring something up, I'm going to leave the Richmond area about 9:30 a.m. so you could swing by before I head out.

Edit: 9:30 Friday morning.
  11. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    The close pics of the grizz mamma and two small cubs were taken out of the window of the Denali tour bus. All the other bears were right there by the side of the road. We were probably 30-40 ft or so from some of them.

I'd creep the bike up in gear and running in 1st. He took the pics from the back. I was always ready to tear ass away but none of the bears ever seemed to give a rip. :D

The Bison were less tolerating.
  12. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Wow. Thanks for sharing. Best Trip. Ever. :clap
  13. Charles

Oddometer:
    B.E. Coyote,

Great pics of an awesome trip!
  14. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    As far as i can tell we only have five confirmed.

Chuck, Danny, Charles, Matt and Macon.
  15. Charles

Oddometer:
    Groovy!
  16. skychs

Oddometer:
    Hey Charles ....
    Whats the word on the 800GS? Finished yet? Taking it this weekend?
  17. Charles

Oddometer:
    STILL not done! I'm hauling my YZ up.
  18. Dirtmonkey8

Oddometer:
    Looks like I am hauling my DR up as well. Thought the front brakes on the Tiger needed clean and lube, but it turned out to be bearings. I am trying to come up with some, but doubt I will have time to do anything today.
  19. Dirtmonkey8

Oddometer:
    We do have the option of staying at my folks place or camping there as well. Not close to Big Levels, but not too far either.
  20. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For you guys heading up this weekend, I figured I'd let you know Devils Backbone is doing an all you can drink beer festival and camp out there Saturday. 50 breweries. $35 for endless samples. Extra fee you can camp out there. If I didn't have arrangements Sunday I would be up there.

Got my new chain in along with tires, sprocket, and tools so I should be back on the road by next week if all goes smoothly.