Give me pointers on the 98-01 YZ 250

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by bleedgrn, Mar 7, 2014.

1. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend and I are looking at buying a couple of Yamaha YZ 250s. One is a 98 the other a 01. First question is are there differences in these two bikes? From what I have read they are nearly identical. Second question: Are there known problems with either?
    I am looking for an off road bike and used to ride a 250R years ago. I know the power in these bikes are something to behold and are a bit of a death machine in the wrong hands. I am considering changing to a WR gear box for better trail riding character and well as setting up the springs for my 205 lb chubby ass. What I have read is they are sprung for up to 175 lbs. The deal I am looking at is fairly reasonable. Planning to go have a look tomorrow. Wish me luck. BTW I am a bit of a wrench but have done very little to 2 stroke motors. I do read and research before tackling projects. My friend has grown up around motocross bikes and is fairly knowledgeable about these bikes. I have no misconception that 2 stroke bikes in general require regular maintenance and tear downs. Please let me know some opinions. This will not be my primary bike. My 12 DL650 has a lot of kit on it, mostly bolt on stuff, but is no single track or sand dune bike. Thanks in advance. :1drink
  2. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little more info, but have not gone to look yet. The 98 has the motor out. The owner rebuilt the lower end and put a new piston in, FMF pipe/silencer. Sounds like a couple of parts are missing from the power valve. Looking to pay $500. The rest of the bike is complete with some other new parts. The 02 (thought it was an 01) is completely rebuilt ( not sure how complete) but hoping to pay $1300. I understand that in 99 there were some motor changes where they lengthened the stroke and reduced the piston size as well as reworking the power valve. Depending how complete the 02 is I will probably lean that way and hope my buddy buys the 98 since he has a better handle on tearing the bike completely down. I will take some pics of what is there and may close the deal this morning if the guy calls back. Wish me luck.
  3. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well from your description I don't think you getting a "hardly riden" bikes but I would say you know enough about bikes to take the plunge. Check the bikes out closely, sounds like they been rode hard but have they been maintained well? Chassis, bearings, suspension and wheel condition should give you a good picture of what your getting into. Those YZ's are great bikes but anyone can screw up a great bike from lack of maintenance. Don't be afraid to walk away if something doesn't smell right. There are plenty of good deals to be had out there.
  4. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well finally got to go see the 98 or what is left of it. Lying against the back wall with the carb hanging from vacuum lines. The motor was still apart with the jug simply set on. The clutch basket was all unassembled. The top of the jug you could tell the motor had grenaded at one point. There were a couple of small bits of piston stuck to the roof of the combustion chamber and many small gouges in it. Was hard to tell what was missing from the power valve but clearly incomplete. Piston was in it and head was nikasiled. Would not budge off of $600 so I walked. With the motor out, really hard to tell how tight the swingarm is but the rear axle felt ok. One fork had a blown seal. To many negatives for me. I am still interested in looking at his complete 02 so will hopefully see that tomorrow. Not really willing to pay more than $1400 for it. I am prepared to be patient and wait for something that won't be as much work as this. Sorry did not take pics since I was not buying. Besides the guy had so much other stuff around. Will re post if I get some info tomorrow.
  5. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    98 was the last year of the old engine. I wouldn't give $6.00 let alone $600 for a basket case like you described.

The 02 is a relatively good bike. It is basically the same bike as the 14 (minus the sss forks and al frame) the susp will need a revalve if you plan on riding anything other than MX.

The best option would be a 06+ bike. the sss suspension is worth the few hundred extra.
  6. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I have been reading more about this vintage of bike and sounds like most of the better updates occurred in 06. 99 and new have a revised motor. I am considering a couple other bikes ranging from $1300 to $1500 for 01 to 02. I agree with revalving the suspension as well as maybe changing the rear sprocket to something larger for better manners in the woods. I am going to keep my eyes open for the next month. BTW is there any preference to the YZ over a KX, CR, RM of similar years? Seems like the YZ and CR are more popular. As far as that 98, way to much work to revive. Should really be parted out. Have not heard back from the guy on the 02. Considering what the bike is to me, I am not interested in spending positive of $2K as an initial investment. Just hoping for something somewhat reliable for bombing around off road and in the woods where my V-strom does not want to venture. Thanks for the feedback so far.
  7. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a '96 YZ250 for $800. It's in fair condition and I've done some minor repairs, installed a JD Jetting kit, need to do the fork seals. It runs good, pulls hard, seems like a good bike for my riding needs - desert/enduro riding, lots of tough single-track. Bought a '03 KX250 several months back for $1400, it's in very good condition; added the FMF Gnarly, JD Jetting, smallest countershaft sprocket - awesome for the desert. When it comes down to CR vs. YZ vs. KX, etc., I think it's splitting hairs - everyone has their personal preferences. Because I am not a competitive racer (still try to ride hard and fast) all my dirt bikes are just "play bikes".
  8. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its hard to beat the YZ in terms of parts availability. Having 15 years of parts that for the most part all interchange is a good thing.

The fact that they are still in production helps a good bit as well
  9. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to my Yamaha dealer for some parts. He had a brand new YZ250. Other than being bright and shiney, I could not see much difference between it and my '96 YZ250. I guess are many upgrades, but I paid $800 for the '96. Yeah, it needs a little work, mostly maintenance issues, but the brand new bike will have the same maintenance costs in a year or two (depends on how hard one thrashes it).
  10. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The difference in power delivery of the pre 99 and post 99 motors is significant. The difference in suspension on the 06+ is huge.

However that wasn't really my point. Finding parts for discontinued models eventually becomes a issue. The fact that the same engine from 1999 is still produced in 2014 means parts will be available for a very long time.

Having that huge pool of bikes also allowed the aftermarket to bring parts to market that other wise would never exist if the models had significant changes or a short run. The ESR 345cc kit is a good example of this.
  11. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me want.
  12. LethalDose

LethalDose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    01 250. Yeah... Been there. I've got almost $5,000 wrapped up in mine since last April. :norton
  13. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at a 01 YZ250 on Thursday hopefully for $1300. Upper and lower engine rebuild last year. I appreciate all the above feedback. I totally agree with sticking with the 99 or newer for parts/aftermarket availability. I'm sure there will be plenty of power for me. Not looking to race or be competitive, just want a fun reliable bike that I will be able to wrench on. Hoping to go back out to Utah this fall and bring the bike with. Will sadly leave my V-strom home. I really miss the feel of a dirt bike.
  14. bleedgrn

bleedgrn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well the 01 sold before I could see it. There is a good running, avg condition 97 YZ 250 I am going to go look at tomorrow. Asking $1000, hoping to spend 800-900 perhaps. We will see on condition. Not totally sold on the idea of a pre 99, only if the price is right. Will update if I pop on it.