Idaho Ideas

Discussion in 'Americas' started by danner21, Dec 12, 2010.

1. danner21

danner21 Nozzlejockey

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Our group is planning a trip to McCall, ID this summer. I have a few rides planned.
    1. Lolo Pass overnight
    2. Lohman
    3. Bogus basin X3 then lunch. Only 18 miles.

Any other routes that are "should not miss" let me know.
    Thanks for any info
    Danner21
  2. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Not to be missed, unless you don't like twisties and great scenery:

Just north of Cascade, take the road to Warm Lake. Have fun.

From Cambridge, take 71 into Hell's Canyon, to Oregon 86, go right, cross back over into Idaho and follow the road north to Hell's Canyon Dam and the visitor's center. Watch out for loose stuff in the roads, cattle, deer and LE. Don't fall off the road.

From hwy 95 at Grangeville, take hwy 13 up to hwy 12.

Same area, from Grangeville take hwy 14 east to Elk City, and if adventurous, continue off-pavement to Red River Hot Springs. I did it on a VFR.

From Orofino, on hwy 12, take hwy 11 to Headquarters.

Same area, from Orofino and hwy 12, take P1 to Kendrick.

If time allows, from Lowman (you DID go through Idaho City, all the way to Banks, right?), take 21 to Stanley. Not all twisty, but scenery makes the straight parts go quickly. Great views of the Sawtooths.

It must be mentioned here that there has been a very noticeable increase on LE on the Lowman loop out of Boise, due to many accidents, squidly behavior and citizen complaints. Weekends should be avoided.

From Stanley, Take 75 to Challis, along the Salmon River. This is a must-do. Again, if time allows, take 75 from Challis all the way into Montana, over the Lost Trail Pass. All this could be included in a big loop including Lolo, hwy 12.

Note that all the above are suggestions from a sportbike rider.

Hope this helps.
  3. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last summer I rode the Magruder Corridor between Elk City,Id. and Darby,Mt.

[​IMG]

Then later tried to find my way into Hell's Canyon by dirt roads so I could ride down the Klienshmidt Grade.

[​IMG]

I didn't find my way down though. After a few hours running in circles I bailed and went in by hardtop.But I did find the the road while at the river and rode up a ways.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice veiws from the grade.
  4. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Lots of great stuff to see and ride.

Helps to know where you are coming from, and if you are riding/or trailering to McCall.
  5. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    You listen to this dude, he knows his Ideeho!

I will say, if you can take Hwy 12. from the Wa/ID border, all the way to Lolo.

BTW, I camped in Lolo pass in July...the 17th to be exact, and woke up freezing my ass off @ 5am......34<sup>0</sup>
  6. danner21

danner21 Nozzlejockey

Oddometer:
    We are taking two large wall tents and riding from the McCall RV park. Mostly twisties and paved. We have a mixed group of bikes/riders. The Sonora pass (108) I think was a perfect road for our group last year.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Danner21
  7. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Paved - Highway 95 North over White Bird Pass, Hwy 13 to Kooskia, Hwy 12 over Lolo Pass to Lolo Hot Springs.

Highway 21 from Boise (you can get a shortcut to it at Banks) to Stanley.

Run up to Lewiston and ride the Rattlesnake Grade (more twisties than you can shake a stick at).
  8. QED

QED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a cabin just off 108 in Pinecrest. You won't find anything like that (26% grade) in North Idaho. You might want to ride to Bergdorf Hotsprings (spelling not correct.) It is real close to McCall and a good dual sport ride down to Riggins. Not recommended for sport bikes.
    Thompson Pass between 90 and 200 is a nice twisty ride. Watch out for deer.
    You can also get up to northwestern Montana. Try highway 56 between hi 2 and 200. Free camping behind the Halfway House which is halfway between 2 and 200.
    How many days and miles per day?
  9. QED

QED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the road to Horse Tail Hot Springs? Did it last summer after the West Fest. Free Camping, nice but cool hot spring.
  10. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

If you mean the MaGruder Corridor, well maybe. I rode inti Darby on Saturday in the late morning and didn't make it out for any riding. I asked someone who had been to the falls if it was off the Corridor and they said it was in that direction, but there were a couple of ways.
    So I don't know.
  11. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer: