Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>You bet, CN.

Regarding your before and after test, this is where Marketing steps in and reminds us that the jumper on the IICE Air can be moved to the 0° or 'no-change' setting, then back to the -20° setting. That provides a before/after test of the IICE Air.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  2. DidYouSeeThat

DidYouSeeThat Uhhhh... Where?

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. I'll have to try the setting and re-experience the "Stock Bike"... but not today.. Too much fun!

Ok Poolside the next item to design is a "jumper" that will swap the 15T and 16T out. By the way this jumpers name is not CN Ca. ;)
    Also I prefer a switch. And unlike the ABS switch, I do not want to come to a complete stop ;)

:rofl
    :freaky

Great job. Thanks agian!
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I like it!

... I wonder ... is there enough cable to mount it behind or through-mount it on the black triangular cover in the frame?
  4. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    Not 00, but rather some Winchester Super X slugs... Just happened to be handy :augie

I love the Lost Coast, and even had my first helicopter ride there, courtesy of USCG. Stunning country, awesome backpacking, and moto roads as well. Who could ask for more?
  5. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Would make a heckuva bang stick.

<BR>
  6. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow the postman got it to me fast. I'm excited to try it tomorrow! :evil
  7. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Yup had a 6' 12Ga stick with 1 1/4 oz slug for a few years back in late '70s then realized: It would be pissing into the wind on a 4,000 lb critter and in our high energy, low visibility ocean it was more danger to my divers than any white pointer and far too unwieldy to get into the game in time. Dumbo's feather don't ya know!:wink:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  8. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Hope your ride was a fun ride and they didn't have to come out to get you after you lost your boat or go down with an injury on the beach. Those USCG guys are unbelievable. Big stones, steady nerves and all "can do".
  9. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    No, it was a fractured fibula and a bad sprain, up in some rough country above the beach. The Coast Guard crew was very impressive, and I followed up with a note to their C.O. But enough about that... I want to comment on this ICEE Aire thingee.

I did manage to get it out of the plastic bag, finally, after passing it over an IR light source and discovering the "hidden" slot along the inverse side. Kudos to JohnJen for coming up with that one.

[​IMG]

It wasn't very much trouble to then mount it to the flashlight, using a stainless steel "P" clamp, with rubberized inner sleeve and a 5mm screw. When I plugged the two ends together, the light immediately came on, and - well, it's a thing of beauty, what else can I say? I don't claim to understand how it works, I just know that it does.

[​IMG]

Great job, you guys in Engineering and Marketing! Our house is now a little brighter, and we can pore over our topo maps long into the night. :freaky
  10. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Dude, careful! Don't let the reserve capacity drop below 15%.

<BR>
  11. fir_chan

fir_chan Little Red Dot Supporter

Oddometer:

I certainly will. I am actually packing for the trip as i scuttle back and forth.... as you know...i dread the packing!!!

Will post it at the correct thread. I usually do a "live" update on Facebook for my family and friends to let them know i am still fine. A Blackberry helps along the way!
  12. fir_chan

fir_chan Little Red Dot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah...heck.... i'll try out all the settings to see what's best!!

Last i heard is that Monsoon floods are affecting both Malaysia and Thailand. This is gonna be one of the wetter thus cooler rides in recent months.
  13. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:

Hmm... I always thought that the hotter it gets, the 30* setting would be better. Doesn't one need to reduce the ECU temp reading more to provide the richer mixture we want to achieve? I would think the it would be more beneficial to use the 10* setting for the milder NorthAm weather (using the 30* would provide a way too rich mixture).

Poolside -- can you chime in on this please? Thanks.
  14. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>I'm working on a big reply to your question asked in post #1831, but here is a quick-and-dirty answer to this. Fuel vaporizes much better in warm air, and doesn't require as much additional fuel as when the air is cold. Now please understand, there is so much more to that that it isn't even funny, but at least this will give you something to think about that isn't entirely off the mark.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  15. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

And as a follow-up question, is it true that the IICE COOL will only work with the -10* setting on the IICE AIR, and not on the -20* or -30* setting?
  16. RAL88

RAL88 Marineboy

Oddometer:
    So here are some pics of my install on the R1100GS and the K1100LT.
    The GS was a breeze. For the K I wish the wires were a little longer so I could get it facing more down than up and mounted out of the fairing/side panel some more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. DidYouSeeThat

Oddometer:
    Poolside
    Is it bad to cut and extend the wires on either side or both sides?
    Say 12" longer....
  18. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Sure, that's fine. Either or both.

But you know, you guys are making a big deal out of this adjustment thing! Seriously. Your desire to make a lot of adjustments has more to do with your predisposition say, than any significant requirement.

I made the IICE Air adjustable primarily to allow the it to work with the upcoming IICE Cool. The primary reason for the adjustment is the -20° temperature setting is too much when the IICE Cool is installed. The IICE Air needs to be set at the -10° Intake Air Temperature offset to work with the upcoming IICE Cool's Transient Throttle Enrichment.

So I'm thinking that before making any changes, you could try leaving it at -20° for a good while. Maybe a month. Then try the same at -10° and -30°. Then you'll know what I'm talking about.

But, if you want to enjoy making changes, you won't hurt anything. I'm not trying to dissuade you or anything. Only that it's sort of unnecessary from my point of view.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  19. DidYouSeeThat

Oddometer:

Good to know. I'll leave mine alone (for now) and just ride.
    Thanks

On a seperate note: I was joking with another friend (he's an Electrical Engineer) and told him the joke I made about the "rather challenging" 15T to 16T On-the-fly Sprocket Changing device.

My friend (the EE) said, "But that's mechanical.... Soooo .. That's for you M.E.'s to sort out..." [​IMG]

DOH!:cry
  20. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Heh heh, yep. Divide and conquer, that's the theory.

<BR>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.