throttle between downshift's...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sasha18yug, Feb 24, 2012.

1. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree!
    Consentrate mostly on smooth braking .Downshifting while important should not be priority. Work on smoothness and it all comes together.
  2. sasha18yug

sasha18yug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the important tips ..its important to hear from other that they also do it and that it has real benefits for me as a rider ...keeping my level of skill high by practicing and for the bike ...awesome information... hope that more people chime in also with videos or similar stories ...why is it better ...how did it help in some situations and so on...
    I think this thread is not only going to help me understand some basics of riding but also others that are in the same situation or didn't really think about this before...

Cheers Sasha
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Video really shouldn't be required.

Basically you just roll your wrist a little while you are shifting down. You'll know if you get it right, the idea is do get the bike between gears without rocking the suspension.
  4. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    I'd think when the injury is severe, its good to be fully healed before attempting to tow.

Of course, the load should not be excessive. One-third the mass of towing motorcycle is a good limit. :evil

[​IMG]
  5. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:

To each his own, but you are wasting mechanical energy. And actually placing what % you're NOT using, that much more on the brakes...

I have, and use, TWO forms of brakes on my moto. Though the compression is more an "Auxiliary brake".

You can downshift two ways.

You can just click down and dump the clutch... Which is the wear all these guys are saying they're trying to avoid;

It's the initial impact of two dissimilar RPMs trying to match. Engine RPM (via gearbox ratio, via clutch basket) Vs. the rear tire RPM. With, like a tire waiting for a blow-out, all the torque following the DT down to the weakest link.

Where it will break, if it does, is the weakest place where those two dissimilar RPMs can not co-exist with each other... Usually the clutch. (but that's an over time type deal and not a BANG! you're done rightnow thing)

Or you can rev-match and let off the clutch and let only the engines compression (and what brakes you choose) to back you down. No wear on the initial impact of the clutch snatching and forcing a syncro to 1:1 the engine revs to the RPM's of the rear tire. The blip does that.

The reason why you blip is, as you up-shift the engine revs slow. So naturally, as you progress slower (engine revs higher)... You need to do the reverse*, which is give the engine more revs, which is a blip.

* JUST LIKE clutchless shifting both up and down. DE-blip, up. Blip, to down.

And backwards when compression braking, or backing off the throttle going down a hill:D Once you crest the hill the pressure points reverse on the gears.

In a big ass truck, just nudge the gas a little and you can snick it out of gear, then rev match it to the lower and snick it right in.

Otherwise, you'll never budge it out of gear unless you use the clutch...
  6. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:

lol, something I've never (cared) to see before... She's got a hold of his Tee shirt like their horse reigns or something...

Yeah, if you start to go, just pull harder on that... That'll stop you:lol3

PS. Funny as fook, but the sparks are going the wrong way...
  7. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    You can do it if you want to destroy your transmission!

Yea Bitches Thats right I AM Starting that Shit again:D:1drink:huh

JK
  8. helion42

helion42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At first I was all like :huh :baldy

and then i saw the

:lol3

It's such a great feeling to rev-match a heel & toe shift coming into a curve (in the cage) and smoothly accelerate out, no matter what the speed. I don't see why it's douchey unless you're referring to harley-style pirating where it's just for the sake of revving it, or someone who thinks they're on the track.
    It definitely makes clutching smoother to blip and match it, I don't see how it's douchbaggery @ under 9k rpm :D
  9. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of us do ride pretty quick on the street... Last night coming home from work through twisties in the rain, with knobbies that are probably illegal for street use in most countries, I was behind two fast cars (everyone who drives those twisties coming home from work is fast) and had overtook in a short overtaking lane that had a tight bend in the middle of it, because I knew I'd be a lot faster than them in the next 15km of twisties before another overtaking chance.

The cars had a lot more grip than me, and I had to downshift while under hard braking into a corner slippery enough my back wheel was squirming under brakes overtaking the first cage into the corner and a bit sideways powering out of it to overtake a second cage. Without being able to blip the throttle reliably I wouldn't have overtaken.

If my downshift wasn't smooth I probably would have lowsided and had to replace my gear lever again! (I was ATGAT and it was a slow tight corner so no real chance of injury).

You can all it douche if you want. I call it fun. And unless I practice around town, I won't be able to do it when I actually have a reason to.
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Matching revs to gear selection make the bike more stable under all conditions. It doesn't matter whether you are a racer or not, on dirt or tar, wet or dry. It should be second nature to blip the throttle while applying front brake. Just a crack of the right wrist while pulling in the clutch with the left and applying your brakes with two fingers and your boot. Doesn't even take that much practice to get real smooth at it.

Slipper clutches help, but most of them are set too tight from the factory.
  11. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    On the street, I blip [or rev-match] downshifts all the time, save for going from 2nd to 1st.

In the dirt, I rarely ever revmatch, as the engine braking can REALLY haul your speed down fast.. dirt has enough grip to take it, and not send you sliding out [most of the time].
  12. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree on single track dirt, you use the downshift as a brake. It's sort of a weird art, but comes naturally when things get sketchy on a steep downhill, even for a few feet!
  13. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    What ^^^^^^^^ he said.

I rev match religiously on my 700 lb street bike, even though it has a slipper. I shoot for automatic trans smooth upshifts and downshifts.

On my supermoto with a slipper, or dirt bike, not so much. Grab the gear you need and let it get loose!

Barry
  14. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's become habitual for me to use my gears for "braking". *I would not call it braking, it is a way to get more traction and speed. It all depends on how it is administered, but you will not find me at 2,500rpm sneaking through traffic, 4,000 is more my deal, correct gearing is the only thing that can do that effectively.
  15. whittrated03

whittrated03 Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer:

The reason we do this is to save the clutch. If you match the engine spped to your road speed, you will not be "bombing" the clutch. It just takes alot os stress off the the clutch disk. Its very important in diesel engines.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    On pavement you can do the same thing, its more to keep the rear end in line and not upset the chassis.

A perfectly matched shift right and tip-in while trail braking is a beautiful thing.
  17. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    O lawd...

There's a difference in rev matching and just cruising around randomly blipping the throttle. Assuming you know what the hell you're doing, a properly executed rev matched (blipped) downshift will put you exactly at the appropriate RPM for the gear you're shifting into. Engine noise shouldn't be much more than if you were just slipping the clutch... which will also increase engine speed.

I understand there's no requirement to have anything approaching justification to have an opinion, but I'm at a loss how you've come to the conclusion that what's being discussed here is "douche " behavior. Who deemed clutch slipping the only valid technique for the road and on what grounds?
  18. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Depends on the situation.

I have a corner a few blocks from the house (downhill, hard right hander) on the way to a gas station that I often skid the rear wheel through when downshifting. Usually, you want to keep traction when downshifting into a turn...
  19. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    I don't think Onederer knows the difference.

#46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the throttle to match revs between shifts all the time, except when coming to a stop, I downshift to 1st (with throttle closed) when at the speed that 1st delivers at idle. Perfect slick downshift.

Another forum I frequent had a story something like this:

A passenger commented to the rider that the shifts were so smooth on that particular motorcycle that they asked if the motorcycle had an automatic transmission!