Photo Thread: The 10G+ Club.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just out to test the tire pressure :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. CharlieFox

CharlieFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally have a set of the Safari tanks for my 990 :clap.
    There was talk about the included gasket. However, the instruction sheet that came with the tanks does not reference it; it just says to slide the pump in the tank???:huh
    Do I use it?
    Why is there no gaskets for the fuel gage sensor and the petcocks?
  3. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    The sensors don't need a gasket, the fit is tight enough to stop any leaks. The fuel pump is the only thing that needs a gasket and that's where the discussion has come in about using petroleum/ethanol resistant rubber as a gasket material.

Least that's what I can remember. I just woke up. I'm pretty positive about it though.
  4. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    I am getting bummed. I *think* I placed an order earlier this year, but was told they're on back-order. I said to keep my order in place because I wanted a set, Then was told they might be getting re-designed. Meanwhile, I was sorta told they might come before July, or maybe as late as September. So I wait (not so) pantiently. Now I hear others are getting some, and I still haven't heard anything new in quite some time.

I am already having to change my summer trip plans because I need the extended range for my planned trip. :cry
  5. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:

If you have the 990 then you don't use the gasket material that comes with the tanks... that's for the block off plate if you have a 950. Otherwise, you just have to watch that you don't bugger the shit outta the 2 o-rings on the 990 pump as you slide it in. Lithium grease is recommended.

Yep... saw this one coming a mile away. Since it's now winter in Australia, they're using this time to pull the molds off-line... at least this is what I've heard. Aqualine is NOT very forthcoming with information. The skinny is: don't expect any 9X0 tanks to be in stock in the US till late September/October.
  6. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you take your trip and make do with a Dromedary bag? Is it every tank of fuel on your trip or just a few sections that need range? If it's just once in a while a Dromedary will work fine.
  7. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's 38 litres on an SE. 30 in the Safari tank and 8 in the fuel bladder

[​IMG]
  8. az63u

az63u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Singapore(just a full-stop in the world map)
    Is it true that the alignment of the nuts will be off abit after installing the tank due to heat & tank expansion? Cause a friend of mine has difficulty installing it back after it has been taken out :evil
  9. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Yeah if you take them off and let them sit for a few hours they change shape a bit and they're a PITA to get back on.
  10. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    Okay, I've been patiently waiting to contribute to this thread after ordering my tanks in February of this year... Nearly 11 months later I can at least say they're finally here!

[​IMG]

I plan on installing them this coming weekend. Anyone have the part number for the non-locking Acerbis gas caps that'll fit these tanks?
  11. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Heard there back ordered about 8 months :lol3
  12. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang... you are patient, thats about when i ordered mine. You can use the caps without using the locks. It sure is nice going for a ride for the whole day and not have to think about fuel. I haven't had mine off yet but they sure went on easy... I went for the trim of the cross over plate instead of the washer to give the petcocks clearance. Also check the hole for the fuel pump, mine had some imperfections. You will want to check the alingment of the inserts for the FP, I had to enlarge the holes in the FP body. Oh and flush them well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1st shot with my new tanks...
    [​IMG]
  13. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    CONGRATS! I know it's been a LONG wait! My head would have exploded by now if I'd have had to wait that long for mine (ask Geek! :lol3 ). IMO, don't bother with non-locking caps... these don't lock automatically, so can be left un-locked and are super-easy to get off at your soon-to-be infrequent refuelings.
  14. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    I'm sittin at 8.1 if I include my rotopax. And another 12oz if I include my msr stove.

But the 10k in add ons is a most definite. :eek1. Check all my threads and my divorce papers. Jk.

And I hear the 2wd pigs are slow. Just a rumor.
  15. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love filling my tanks on Monday, Ridin it for a week and noticing I still havehalf a tank(s) of fuel left over.
  16. Grinderman

Grinderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A different path to 10 G's [​IMG]:D
  17. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great but I like to haul my camp gear
  18. Grinderman

Grinderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man. I camp too! Giant loop and rear rack. Best weight distribution possible.
  19. Unruled

Unruled 950S

Oddometer:
    Why is it that no one seems to be running both safari tanks and crashbars? Doesn't fit?
  20. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    ...but I will never be able to justify that price. I know it has all been said before, and I understand there are huge development costs to recoup, but I would at least expect better than 11month delivery time, no manufacturing trash inside and perfect fit of tanks and fuel pump.
    Every time I have to fill up 3 times in one day though....