Front brake pad retaining clip shortcut?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kcc, Mar 18, 2013.

1. kcc

kcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I dropped my wheels for new tires this weekend, the non-piston side pad on one of the front calipers popped out of the top retaining spring clip and hung down from the lower pin. I could not figure out a way to finagl the top of the pad back into the retaining clip without driving the lower pin out and repositioning both pads and reassembling. Not that hard in a clean shop, but...

With the caliper hanging loose to get the wheel out, it's really super easy for the pad to move enough to pop out of that clip. I had a wooden wedge in between the pads (have always done that when the wheels are off) and it still happened!

Is there a shortcut trick to getting it back in if that happens again? Seems like a pain in the ass to have to drive remove the safety clip (very small part) and drive the pin out if it were to happen on a trail.
  2. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    No shortcut that I know know. But I hear you about the pads popping out. I put it back in without removing the pin.
  3. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    I've had the same issue, and I didnt find any other way than removing the pin, then inserting the pad with the tab end hooked into the caliper then inserting the pin.
  4. kcc

kcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough - thanks guys. I will make sure to include a drive pin in the toolkit!
  5. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    BTW, I thought I would mention to be careful to not damage those clips. They come as a set at about 20 bucks for one caliper.
  6. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your careful on removal of wheel pads should not drop, it seems they are more likely to drop when replacing wheel,so I use another inmates tip and put a short length of 8mm dia string in the gap and as disc is inserted just pull string out with pliers....no more dropped pads!
  7. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    8mm string??
  8. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I swap wheels all the times and I have never had a pad drop out, not sure what I am doing different though.
    I would think the wedge from the back side would keep them in place and it gets popped out as the disk slides into the caliper.

I also make sure to compress the pads back into the housing far as they can go before taking the wheel off, maybe that is the difference?
  9. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On double disc brakes like the Adventure, I find it is is easier just to take two minutes and pull the calipers. You gain back the two minutes and then some because it makes the wheel so much easier to put back on.
  10. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    string, rope ,cable WHY
  11. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah.

I see you're from Surrey, and I needed the English translated to American.

And you're welcome for WW2.

(sorry ; ) )