Ktm 1190 adventure !

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Tancakar, May 16, 2013.

1. Gillberg375

Gillberg375 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just traded my 09 v strom so to me the bike has super model looks:rofl
  2. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    I've got the grey non-R version - I was just commenting on the person who like the look of the R but did not want the 21" wheel, to get a non-R and have it painted - will be cheaper than getting a wheel and changing electronics
  3. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are not too many differences really . If you put the bike near to each other and get infront of them. You only will see the R version is taller and got smaller screen . Also large 21" wheel. The other things all the same I don't know what people talking about . And yes the colour and the paint is different but grey one is lovely colour for me some people like the orange tastes are different person to person. At least they are not blue like GS :)
  4. Babatad

Babatad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great bike, I own one now and so excited to take for a longer run.

Yes the seat is hard but still comfy. v

Yes there seems to be some heat on left side making your leg warm

Yes the indicator lights take some getting use to

The bike is responsive with incredible pick up.

I bought the bike because of performance, the orange look and the reliability. Its also light and agile.

Happy riding all
  5. paturoa

paturoa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both wheels are different.

The std is 120/70 19 front and 170/60 17 rear. The R is 90/90 21 and 150/70 ZR 18.

Front forks and rear shocks are also quite different. The only other significant difference not mentioned above is the seat, where the R is 1 piece and is more comfortable.
  6. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    ....and, AFAIK, the R does not have the EDS options - suspension setting is manual
  7. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

1190 Adventure R differences

1. Wheelsize: The Adventure R has a 21" front wheel and 18" rear wheel as opposed to the 19/17 on the Adventure. The exact dimensions are 2.50 x 21" / 4.50 x 18". Both versions feature KTM's new spoked wheels with tubeless rims.

2. Suspension: Both bikes feature WP fully-adjustable suspension front and rear however the R version's travel is increased at the front and rear from 190mm to 220mm. Due to the taller suspension, the ground clearance is also increased on the 1190 Adventure R. It sits at 250mm, compared to 220mm on the 1190 Adventure. Most of the 1190 Adventures coming into the UK will feature EDS.

3. Screen: The screen on the Adventure R is shorter but it's still height adjustable.

4. Handlebars: The bars on the Adventure R are wider to allow greater leverage The steering head angle remains the same 64-degrees on both bikes.

5. Crash Bars: The Adventure R feature's KTM's crash bars as standard, for greater protection. These can be fitted to the standard Adventure.

6. Seat: The 1190 Adventure R features a one-piece seat as opposed to the Ergo seat on the 1190 Adventure. Due to the longer-travel suspension, the seat height on the Adventure R is fixed at 890mm whereas the seat height on the 1190 Adventure is 860mm at its lowest but adjustable up to 875mm.

7. Weight: The Adveture R weighs 5kg more than the Adventure. The larger rims and crash bars mean the 1190 Adventure R tips the scales at 217kg wet but without fuel.

8. Wheelbase & Trail: Although the steering head angle remains the same for both bikes, the taller suspension and larger wheels on the R contribute towards altering the trail and the wheelbase. The front wheel spindle is set directly in-line with the fork on the Adventure but slightly further forward on the Adventure R. The trail on the Adventure is 120mm and the wheelbase is 1560mm but on the Adventure R the trail is 108mm and the wheelbase is 1580mm.

9. Graphics: You'd be forgiven for thinking the front bodywork on the Adventure R is slimmer than the Adventure but the Adventure R's the light-coloured tank and graphics finish alters the bike's look. The bodywork is the same but the one-piece seat and two-tone paint makes the R look slimmer.

10. Price: The 1190 Adventure has a recommended retail price of £12,595 but with the 'Electronics Package' it'll cost £13,095. The 1190 Adventure R is priced at £13,195.

http://www.visordown.com/features/differences-ktm-1190-adventure-vs-adventure-r/22299-2.html
  8. Babatad

Babatad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there anyway to reduce the heat on the left side of bike. It's a bit annoying especially riding in 30+ temperature?
  9. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    This was discussed before I guess some people actually was putting heat shelds under the seat. If it helps .
  10. Babatad

Babatad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tancakar.
  11. Dearnla

Dearnla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a problem here in England.....:cry
  12. Davy F

Davy F Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer:
    Touratwat should have one ready for 2014..........:evil
  13. Babatad

Babatad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding on Road mode. Is the difference significant when changed to Sport mode?

Also the clicking sound from engine was something I wasn't use to. Thought I was in the wrong gear.

Temp gauge had 5 bars lit up, I'm in 33c heat when riding so I think it's normal.

Any similar experiences?
  14. AdvIvan

AdvIvan Rock on!

Oddometer:
    The manual state that the SPORT mode allows the back wheel to spin/slip a little more than in ROAD mode. My experience is that it also accellerates faster, a lot faster, and you can pop a low and short power wheelie at least in 1st and 2nd. In SPORT mode it is fairly easy to lose traction in the wet, but it seams to be more or less impossible when leaning. The engineers did it good! :clap
  15. Czechthisout

Czechthisout n00b

Oddometer:
    My feeling is exactly the same. When I came back from the test ride, and mentioned the indicator switch, the dealer looked at me like I was from mars or something. Nonetheless, its one of those things a rider notices. Its not a deal-breaker, but just something to wish for.

I ordered the new heated gel seats. Should get them in a weeks time, so Im hoping they will make a difference in the rear category. Anybody got experience with those yeat?
    What about a taller screen? Wanted one, but I didnt like the fact that it came only in the smoked variety
  16. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    I think around the forum I saw someone had gel seat but I never used it. Well it's looks like I am not going to need heated seat as the seat heats up by the engine . :D
  17. Corsica101

Corsica101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all

I recently bought myself the 1190 Adventure R as well(2nd hand... with 700k's!)after reading through the blog a few times and seeing a few nice pics. It didn't take much convincing:D
    I used to have a Super Tenere about 20 years ago and haven't ridden a proper bike since then, boy was I in for a time warp! What a bullet it this is! I actually can't describe what it is like when shifting up from 3rd, everything just becomes a blur and I'm just trying to hang on:eek1

Bought the bike in Germany and had two days to make it to destination in Spain!! In other words: 1800km's in two days so it was a serious endurance test on my first date!...it was a bit crazy to say the least but I had no choice due to my job. I made it with no time to spare boarding the ferry in Barcelona:clap.

The first 400k's in Germany started with serious thick rain...ugh. After 200k's my arms where soaked so had to find a bike store and buy some proper foulies and another screen to mount on top off the shorter R version screen, the latter one doesn't cut it on the highway. This made the ride much better and at least kept the rain of my visor but still had to duck down a bit to stay out of the turbulence. Ordered the larger screen so now I should be hearing the exhaust and not the wind.
    In the rain the bike feels very stable, safe and lots of grip from the tires on the on and off ramps. Guess the rain setting has something to do with it?
    I kept a steady 130-140 on the fast German highway although the GPS showed 10k's less.
    Just over the border in Switserland the sun came out, the roads dried and I knew I bought myself a big gem... My experience on bikes of this caliber is limited but it makes me feel like Jorge Lorenzo, no kidding. You just can't hold back and drive normally on this bike! In the long bends it's sticks like chewing gum and the hairpins it feels like your on rails. There's just not enough hairpins in Swiss for it:))
    No wonder the previous owner got emotional when he had to say goodbye....

...lights out for now. More later.
    ps. Can anybody explain how to attached a pic?
  18. Babatad

Babatad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He sold it to you after 700k's and was emotional?
    Sounds like a forced sale for him and great deal for you. Congrats. What colour did you get? Also struggling with loading pics.

I'm also trying to work out why and how to change the favourites page - I have two lines indicating the same thing "ride mode street"
  19. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    for loading images go to ;

imageshack.us

copy the link says ; "direct link to image"
    in this forum press "insert image"
    the window comes up erase anything on it.
    and paste your link to that window.

you got the image !

this is my bike just save a moment i though the bricks on the back ground looked nice :):1drink

[​IMG]
  20. Babatad

Babatad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pic. Good background.

Trying to login to set up account - site is probably being serviced. Pretty slow. Thanks !