The Official GL500 Silverwing (CX too) Lovefest.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by UncleDirt, Apr 10, 2012.

1. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

Never thought of that, though I did warm my hands on them a bunch of times on cold rides.
  2. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now SouthMS
    And from now on (thanks to hugemoth) - everytime you warm your hands - it will put a grin on your mug. :D

[​IMG]
  3. AdvRdrWannaBe

AdvRdrWannaBe Lets' go that way

Oddometer:
    I picked up my new project ('82 GL500) from a friend who had lost interest after a complete dismantle (he had aspirations to "cafe" it). I wound up trading him a few RC planes for it!

Hope to start the re-assembly process soon with new paint, goodies and improvements. :D

Wish me luck!

Greg
  4. EnduroRdr

Oddometer:

I wish you luck - keep us posted on progress!
  5. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another CX500 has shown up for sale somewhat locally, 81 model with 36k miles on it, according to the owner needs some carb & brake work, but has good compression.. for $400.. Hmmmm.... I haven't seen it yet. Might just have to hook up a trailer and go get it.
    Tony
  6. Captain Yesterday

Captain Yesterday Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bastard cx500/gl650
    [​IMG]
  7. EnduroRdr

Oddometer:

Sweet, I'm guessing you hid the battery under the cafe seat cowling?
    Simple clean lines, I like it!

Also is that an 18" or 16" rear?
  8. Captain Yesterday

Captain Yesterday Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah battery is under the seat and it a 18 rear with a 130/90/18 tire which is a tad too wide.
  9. EnduroRdr

Oddometer:

10/4 that! I had to grind the excess metal on my swing arm for my 18 knobby to clear also.
  10. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
  11. papanaq

papanaq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Durham, NC--Where's the elevation change?
    Hey my name is James. I have been off of the two wheel trail for a little over a year now. I just picked up an 81 GL500 today with 27,XXX from a fellow for $800. It has a crappy solid black paint job but looks like it has never been dropped. No rust in the tank. It is sloppy between 4-6 grand but I pulled the air cover off and it looks like the filter has never been changed. The front end dives pretty hard so I will change the oil and seals while I am at it. I will also be changing all of the fluids at once. The old man has had the bike a while but he never rides it and doesn't know much about it. It rides fine and everything appears be functional.

I am glad to have found this thread and hope that you could give me some pointers and things to look for. I am excited to get a chance to work on the bike for a couple of months before I put it on the road so I may hit some of you up with specific questions.

I hope to add picks by the end of the weekend.
  12. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    The best resource for these great old bikes is http://cx500forum.com . There you will find the factory service manual and everything you need to know.

13. Boxingfan

Boxingfan n00b

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike! I have a few questions if you don't mind. I am rebuilding a GL650 & have the option to put it in a CX500 frame but have heard its not the easiest thing to do. Could you message me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

-B
  14. IRule

IRule Rider

Oddometer:
    I have a pretty well trashed 82 Silverwing that I was going to pull the engine out of and try and sell. Before I go cutting stuff apart, I was wondering if there would be anything somebody may want from the bike. There really isnt much left on it thats any good but its tough to just throw stuff away that somebody maybe could use. Just ask and Ill take a look to see if what you want is useable or not. Or Ill take a pic and you can decide for yourself.
  15. EnduroRdr

Oddometer:
    I have another cx project (going cafe this time) that needs a few items - I picked up a 82 GL motor and I am going to stuff it into a 78 cx frame so if you have the electrics from that silverwing I could sure use them. I need pretty much all of the electrics (except the lights) need regulator, solenoid and main and sub wiring harnesses with plugs.
    PM me and tell me what you want for all that.
    This comes just in time for a summer project.

thanks for posting
  16. chuck c

chuck c n00b

Oddometer:
    I wanted one with the full kit of plastic, but this might be hard to pass up. Do you think CX500 plastic and luggage will fit it? There's a lot around since guys are stripping them too.
  17. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    I think they're the same but check over on the CX forum to be sure.
    http://cx500forum.com

18. db-89

db-89 hole digger

Oddometer:
    only seen this now. my first road bike was a german import gl500 and i then moved onto an ntv650 ,both i still have.

my gl has now got krauser panniers,polished forks,rocker covers and clutch cover, matt black vinyl wrap and a custom shorty screen. in our garage at the minute we have another gl500,a black and red cx500 and a rare japanese gl700. the bike that ultimately led to creating the ntv650 rc33,pan european ,vfr series and the transalp(all engines derived from the cx) and we also have all of these models too :evil

[​IMG]

my gl 500 yesterday
  19. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    I have a warm and fuzzy feeling for these bikes having put so many miles on them over the years. Solid, reliable, mild mannered, mile after mile. My favorite street bikes of all time. I rode my GL500 Interstate to Alaska this summer and even after T boning a huge moose at 65 mph it got me home. I'll never sell this 32 year old bike until I'm too old to ride.

[​IMG]
  20. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been looking into a V-strom lately. Seems like the zuks are the closest thing to a Silverwing today.