Mefo dual sport tires.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by holycaveman, Mar 5, 2006.

1. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put a set of mefo tires on. They seem like very good quality! On road they are great, especially compared to the 606's I've been running. Front tire hooks up just as well as the 606 off road. Rear works surprisingly well in grass(better than the 606!!) Lacks alittle in the mud, but what do you expect. So far its been great, about 700 miles on them, the tits are still on the front and rear. Hopfully I'll get the claimed milage out of them(14,000).

I knew they were not a knobbie, but they are working better than I thought for a high mileage tire! Just thought I would pass on the info. I have tried many differant tires, and are not completely happy with any. And all have dissapointed me in mileage.

http://www.klr650.com/MEFO%20Sport%20Tires.htm

Thease tires are more agressive than they look in the photos! Rear tire has realy deep knobs, looks very long lasting. But on pavement this thing corners great!!! Can't say enough about on road handling(remember though I am comming off of knobbies)

I am going to post some mud handling photos to show you how they work there also. Obviously hardpack they would work great. Its the slick stuff that always worries us. Front end still slides out on slick mud, defenatly is not a knobbie. But as I said before the front is about the same as the 606 off road, but alot better on road!
  2. Pangeist

Pangeist Autodidact Polymath

Oddometer:
    I was just trying to find out about these, thanks for the info. They look like great tires. I was hoping to find something like this, as it seems like a nice middle ground for "adventouring".
  3. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea thats what I was thinking also!

[​IMG]
  4. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    is that the only place to get these tires? i think i may give them a shot.
  5. Motoplaner

Motoplaner PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer:
    14,000 MILES? Where can we find that claim?
  6. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    Wow some of those other street-legal MEFO tires look awesome. Now gotta find some dealers.
  7. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Who knows? its just rumured, couldn't find anything on team squirrel. Call the guy up and ask him! He is very nice and would probably tell you.

I will say that the tire has a very tough carcus. As far as where to get them, I don't know except for the above dealer. They treated me good and had them to my door for 176 dollars. Took a month though because they were out of stock. Now they have them. They were good enough to tell me when they were comming and keep me updated . They are catching on though and I don't know how long they will have them instock.

8. Motoplaner

Oddometer:
    Then why are you touting 14,000 miles as a given? I suspect a common conversion error. km/miles. Probably more like 14,000 km. If that’s the case, no big deal. 606’s will do that cheaper and probably better. Claims like this must be backed up. I will call nobody.
  9. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other peolpe I have heard of getting this mileage. One guy from klr650.net said he has 6,000 miles so far on them, and about 50percent tread left. I imagine where and how you ride would descide the mileage.

Personally if I can get 7,000 out of a good 50/50 tread I will be stoked!! I have tried about every good tire out there and average around 3500 before I feel it nessasary to replace them. I have ran: tkc80's, sahara 111, michelen tx66, dunlop 606, duro's, kenda 270, cheng shen 755, maxis 6006 and I am sure I forgot a couple. The kenda's wore the best, but they scared me on pavement! Continental's were the best all around tire, but only 3500miles:puke1
  10. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, don't worry, don't buy them. I just was passing info that I have learned. I will tell you the final mileage some day! 606's, the last set the front wore out in 2500miles(sure I brake hard) but the back wore out 1000 later!

Point is I haven't found a good wearing / handleing tire yet! So I am giving thease a try, before I waste even more money. Maybe they will last only 1000miles? At least I will know. But so far a few people that I have heard that are running thease are saying expect alot of mileage out of them.<!-- / message -->
  11. Motoplaner

Oddometer:
    Cool. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.
  12. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I came off strong I think we are typing at the same time.

You know realy we have to judge for ourselves, sometimes peoples info is not reliable and sometimes its on the money.

I personally hope there is a long lasting ds tire out there. Maybe this is it, maybe its not. Well if its not you will here it from me. I'll be dissapointed.

Also I did not mean to say 14000 was a fact, sorry. Thats what people are claiming, definatly not guarenteed. For all I know they might be running in the sand.
  13. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 2000 miles on my rear Mefo and it's about half gone. I'll be happy if I get 5000 but 4000 is probably more like it for me. I seem to go through rear tires pretty quick. And unfortunately all that Mefo mileage is on pavement.
  14. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to see mileage reports for this tire too. Did you see the knobby they list below this tire? Looks tasty, but for $100 I would want at least 4000 miles out of them. For some reason, it pains my wallet to pay the same for ds tires as my sportbike tires.:lol3
  15. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    14k out of a set of DS tires....holy crap sign me up.

I got about 1700 out of a set of trail wings. Not so good in the dirt but gripped like heck on the tarmac, leaning over almost until touchdown then the back would break away real predictable like. Got some 606's now and they rule the dirt but suck in the twisties, only get like half the lean angle.

Keep up posted on any mileage info, I ride either WFO or clamped on the binders so a hard wearing tire would be nice.......or maybe I shouldn't ride an XR like its my R1!!!
  16. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
  17. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:

Now as I have been reminded, remember thease are just comments from riders who have used them. Don't realy know how they used the tire.

One here has 2000 on them so far and another post says he got 9000. so realy the only way is to find out yourself. I have a whopping 700mi on myne. but I ride about 1000 every other week, so I'll be adding them up quick.

The sahara 3 and the tx66 dissapointed me the most! They were realy expensive tires and only got 3000 miles out of them!!!!!!!!!:flush
  18. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    arrowhead in moab has them also, i believe. i contacted klr650.com to see if they could get the 18" rear cause they only had the 17" listed. they can. i went w/ the d908rr instead but am still curious about these.
    scott
  19. R_W

R_W wannabe

Oddometer:
    I am only going to get 4-5 K out of them, front and rear. Rear is squaring, front is cupping. Now I am hard on tires, but those guys claiming 14 K must be riding on smooth dirtpack or other really tire-friendly surfaces.

I rate them better than Pirelli Scorpion AT's on the road, they really lean well.
  20. Oldrice

Oldrice oldrice.com

Oddometer:
    Yeah! A tire thread!!! Seriously, I'm running the Maxxis tires and they are *extremely* loud. They're ok on the street and as for dirt roads, it was fun doing burnouts in every corner but only if it's intentional. I found them unpredictable in the mild dirt. Front end washing is not good. I believe I've found my next set of tires. These MEFO's look the real deal and with the rise of Chaingolian behavior these days, it's about time. Thank you!

They're going on the NX650 asap.

Geoff-
    www.oldrice.com