Engine overheating slow moving

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Andrek, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Andrek

Andrek n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, r1200gs 2006, 700km still running it in, my first BMW motorcycle.
    Traveling home I got stuck in heavy traffic, the motor overheated and low oil pressure indicator. After leaving the motorway and picking up some speed again all return to normal.
    Now my question: is this normal for the GS to overheat when standing still or slow moving in heavy traffic, is this because of the air cooled motor?
    Thank, Andre
  2. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It is normal. Just learn the fine art of filtering, then explain to the police that due to the fact you have a air cooled bike, you must do this. If you can't filter then pull over and let it cool down and join traffic again. It doesn't take all that long for it to cool down. If your low oil pressure light is coming on you might want to consider a thicker viscosity oil to help maintain oil pressure.
  3. bobcopro

bobcopro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never had my 1200GS overheat, even in standing Boston Traffic at 98 degrees (I overheated though!) I have also never had my oil warning light come on. Your bike is both air and oil cooled. These things consume vast quantities of oil when they're new. Make sure you check your oil level very frequently as you can't cool the engine oil if it doesn't have any. If it happened again, I would have the dealer make sure your oil cooler under the headlight is not blocked in any way.
  4. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had my R1200GS in stop and go traffic in over 100 degree temperatures and the temp guage never got higher than its normal (about 1/3 of the way up) reading.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Same here. Very hot days, and an hour of standing traffic, and my 12GS has not gone past 3/4 high. Just 2 bars up from normal.

Jim :brow
  6. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure if that is normal for the new 1200. Many have reported the 11xx's over heating but I have yet to read one report of a 1200 over heating. Myself personally I have ridden my bike through Kansas City in 110 degree heat. The traffic was stop and go for over 50 miles and it took 3 hours to cover that distance. My RID never even moved from the normal heat measurement.:ear
  7. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with bobcopro on this one. It is NOT normal for a 1200GS to overheat. Even in the hottest weather and slowest traffic, I have never seen my temp guage go more than half way up. Get the bike to your dealer and have it checked out.
  8. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I should have read his post better, but it was kind of hard since the lettering was in black. Since I have a 1150 GS I assumed he had one to. :lol3 (Being the better model and all that:norton).
  9. Happnin

Happnin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. srosa

srosa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in and concur that this is not normal for an R1200GS. I really had to watch this with my old 1100's but my 1200 seems to run much cooler for some reason. I also found with my 1100's that any movement, even 5-10 MPH helped to avoid overheating.
  11. dc1

dc1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lets hear some REAL answers from the "proffessionals" and save a bike and calm down a rider
  12. TK421

TK421 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was stuck on I-80 (stop and go traffic for about 1/2 hour) in 80 degree heat and riding thru NYC in same temps. Temp indicator started climbing ('08 R12GS) but never got into the "red" (past the little hash mark near the top) - normally at 4 bars but went to 5 for much of the ride then up to 7 as I got lost in Manhattan. Crossing the the Brooklyn Bridge brought the temp down a bit. Does this sound normal? I usually ride where I am free of traffic and my commute is only 10 miles or so. Taking the bike on a long tour of EU - Am I just being paranoid or is my bike telling me something?
    Thanks
  13. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton I would think they have a thermostat in the oil system.
  14. GeorgeinVA

GeorgeinVA Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer:
    I'll give it a try. Not normal but not unheard of. I had an R12GS land on my bench that would over heat anytime the temps were above 85f. The motor was a golden brown. The customer stated the bike had always run hot. I too thought the thermostat might have been bad or improperly installed. When I removed the thermostat it was dry:scratch . Looking further the oil cooler was dry also. As it turns out BMW did not drill an oil passage in the block for the oil to go to the cooler. Since the bike was still in warranty (35500 miles on it) we ordered a new short block.
    To check you thermostat get a digital laser temp probe and read the oil cooler lines when the bike hits "normal" operating temp the lines should begin to warm. If they stay only a few deg above ambient temp. you have found your problem.
    Hope this helps.
  15. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Or, if your fingers aren't completely severed from your sensory system: Touch it with your hand.
    If should be hot as in "ooops". It will not be hot as in "funny smell - is that black thing my hand?".

I don't know on the 12GS, but on the 1150 (best model and all that) the oil starts to flow at three or four bars.

How hot the oil is? That is, in fact, a rather frequently asked question. And, luckily, you will find the
    answer in the "GSpot FAQ".

[TaSK]
  16. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes
  17. Manatee2000

Manatee2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been all over the place and the bike has always run hot. 105 degrees coming into LA the bars were maxed out. No light comes on to show it over heating only shows loss of oil presure. Asked the dealer in California and they said that there was no way to have it over heat. ? They had told me that on of the test for the BMW cop bikes was to leave it at idle all day at 100 degrees.

Usually it runs 2 bars from the top running at speeds from 75 to 90. on an 80 degree day. Runs hotter when I go slow like 5 to 10 mph.

I did take it to my dealer here in Denver and they shot the oil cooler with the gauge and we watched the temperature go up then down when the oil cooler kicked in. Not sure what to think.
  18. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    If you suspect that your oilhead is running the oil hot, I would consider synthetic engine oil. Synthetics tolerate much higher oil temperatures than non-synthetics. The Noack score tell how various oils cook as temperatures are elevated. Oil cook-off leads to varnish and sludge as well as an increase in viscosity, all bad things.

Some oils foam thereby entraining air in the oil which leads to poor cooling and elevated temperatures.

Also, your oil filter may be bypassing oil. This could lead to variations in temperature.

Make sure that your engine internals are clean and varnish free. I have seen some air cooled engines that were badly varnished after a few thousand miles...the Ducati 620 comes to mind. If you suspect your engine is not pristine inside, run an additive...I like Rislone engine treatment. It will clean up a varnished engine.

Many of us boxer riders use Mobil1 15w-50 in our 1100s and 1150s but follow your MOMs recommendations regarding viscosity for your model.
  19. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 05 R1200GS will often temp up to halfway with the red triangle flashing and the oil symbol flashing when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day. The engine starts to rattle, too, when it's hot.
    It did it before I changed the oil 100 miles ago and it does it now. I have Mobil1 15W-50. Oh, 48,400 miles on the clock. There is a Kildala oil cooler guard, too.
  20. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    IIRC the cop bikes have a larger oil cooler and maybe even a fan....