Oh boy, 1977 R/100 barn find

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by gatorjos, Jan 23, 2013.

1. gatorjos

gatorjos Minsk afficionado

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and girls,

I found an abandoned R100/7 sitting at a buddy's shop. It looks like the last time this guy was operated was back in 2006. The carbs are hanging off the side, but the cylinders seem to make compression, and the transmission shifts. Engine has oil in it, and the gas tank is not too rusty...

I'm thinking about picking this poor baby up, and getting her running again, possibly doing a GS conversion on it.

Does anyone know how to do a title search online for it? It doesn't have a VIN due to the age...

Thanks!
  2. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    CA DMV has bill of sale paperwork you and the seller can fill out to get a title. If it was registered in 2006 it is still in the system. Sure is wasn't registered non-op since then? Would make it easier, with no back fees. Canadabike is correct, the older VIN is there but it will be seven digits instead of the new format (17 digits).
  3. gatorjos

Oddometer:
    Yeah the chassis serial # falls in that range. I have been advised I can do a lien sale, and was recommended a lady who does it for $70, so I will prbly go ahead and do that. I would love to run the title history first for $20 or so to see if there isn't a $1000 worth of back fees on it. If it there is, it's probably not worth doing right? What's a parts bike like this worth?

Places like cyclechex need a full 17 character VIN...
  4. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Yes, California is insane. Each year when you pay vehicle registration, you have two choices: full registration or non-operational status. Non-op, as we call it, is for vehicles undergoing restorations or in storage. Non-op costs a fraction of full registration but it keeps the vehicle 'in the system'. Vehicles that are sold where no registration fees have been paid are subject to back fees.
  5. gatorjos

Oddometer:
    Ooh -- I just tried to "renew" the registration for the bike using the license plate (last registered in 2006), and the serial number, and the california DMV website says it is invalid information. I am hoping the bike is indeed out of the system. Think I'll mail my check to the lien sale lady (charges $50 not $70).

Stay tuned -- this may be the start of my restoration thread (or at least get 'er running thread). :clap
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Listen carefully to the ones who tell stories of woe about California bikes that owe back registration fees.

But really, why would you want to turn a 1977 R100/7 into something it is not? A GS. If you want a GS buy a GS. I think it would be cheaper. I could see putting knobby tires or something on the /7 but I think calling it a GS involves a whole lot more. Maybe what you are thinking of is what I've seen called "dual sport".

There's lots of info and projects on Adv Rider about doing this to the Airhead bikes. Some of these look pretty good, the builders are talented and they have the tools and money for some extra work not seen everyday. But you should understand that the majority of these projects, after the spending of hundreds of dollars, is worth lest that the bike was in stock fashion.

Good Luck w/ it. I hope you get the bike. Try riding it the way it was built for a little while at least. Then the Old Farts like myself won't pick on you so much.

PS; What over bikes do you own or have owned?
  7. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    Old man speaks truth. Do a rebuild thread. Get her going. Ride her some. That bike is fine just as it is.
  8. gatorjos

Oddometer:
    My primary desire behind lifting it, is that I am 6'7". I would want to increase standover height and the foot peg to seat spacing somehow as well. I do mean dual sport -- no knobby tires for now... I would mostly plan to drive city with it, but perhaps some touring, and even fire roads eventually. Some of the projects I have seen on here inspired me to pursue this bike. If I can get it reliable for around $2k I would be pretty stoked. Pipe dream?

I've owned two Minsks that I rode through Vietnam and Cambodia, and I've restored two aircooled VWs. I would be leaning on my buddy who is a Honda CB expert to help get it running.
  9. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Aircooled VW's, if you did any engine work, is really worthwhile, and you will be amazed at the similarities (Teutonic engineering, dontcha know....!!) You'll do fine... bikes are easy to work on, and worth working on. They were quite solidly built, 'way back when....

:D
  10. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:

Great find. Get it running and ride. I'm just going to leave my '78 as is.

Hate to hijack, but how do I get the above numbers in the quote for my '78 R80/7 ? Prefix is 612**** with build date of 8/77
  11. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I think you need input from somebody in your league. I'm only 6' and am about the size person these bikes seemed to be built for. Often shorter people are trying to get on these bikes and there are some taller ones too but they really have special problems or they learn to ride in a cramped position. There is not much you can do with out some sort of extreme modification I think.

My ex-girl friend Laurie rode an R75/5 and she was 4'6" or something. She rode in the city and had to stop most times next to a curb so she could put her foot down.
  12. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    There are various sites on the web for looking up vin numbers. The one I like is this;

http://realoem.com/bmw/

Learn to use RealOEM dot com and you will eventually understand why. Use the dealer sites when you are ordering parts but if you just want to look something up or share it on the web use Real OEM, please.

There's a place you can enter your 7 digit number and get the build date.
  13. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    My favorite is this link. http://bmbikes.co.uk/chassispages/enginechassis800.htm for the 800cc bikes. Pick another blue box on top for other displacements
  14. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Don't know the answer to that entirely but it has something to do with whether or not the vehicle is no longer active in the DMV database. We call this 'out of the system'. Sometimes when perusing CL for old motorcycles sellers will make claims that "it's out to the system so no back fees". The actual time that it takes to actually get 'out of the system' is up for debate. So the best old bikes to find are the ones with the original license plates, that have been registered as non-op since these require the least amount of headache to get them registered and insured.
  15. gatorjos

Oddometer:
    Ha! I won't be having that problem... It's a little squatted right now, but not as bad as some bikes I have ridden. A little taller seat and dropping the foot pegs and inch or so would probably make a big difference.

Thanks for all the info! :thumb
  16. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer:
    I am 6' 6" so maybe I can comment. I sold my g/s because it was too small for me. I have ridden a /5, own a /6, and ride a /7. For some reason the /7 fits me better than the other airheads. I have stock bars and the stock seat on my /7 and can ride a long day in comfort.

That said, I can see myself taking the clapped out Corbin seat I bought for a few bucks to a seat builder and having it padded and raised a couple of inches. Dropping the pegs will also help you with the painful knee angle. I hope to do both to my /7 soon. Shouldn't cost more than $500 for the entirely reversible modifications.
  17. gatorjos

Oddometer:
    Well good news -- I have located the owner, and he wants $500 for the bike. It is really quite crusty and not running, so I think I will offer him less. He does have the title and registered it non-op, so there shouldn't be back fees. He said it was running four years ago, and ran strong then, but he started rebuilding the carbs, and never quite finished the projects.

Do these Bing carbs rebuild pretty well, or do people usually get new ones?
  18. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    The bings are easy to rebuild. Usually they just need cleaning, new orings, and maybe choke gaskets. Possibly needle jets and needles if they're 30 or 40K old.