Bag Repair and Other Pictures

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Disston, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    This is my Krauser bag repair completed recently. I replaced both latches with this hardware store item. The screws and washers and Nylock nuts were all from McMaster Carr. This is the left bag. I will do the right side bag someday but it is still working so it can wait.

[​IMG]

I am worried that this type of latch will pop open if I hit a pot hole or something. So I'm going to get some small pad locks. I'm not security minded at all but think that they need to be held closed.

2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  3. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Nice fix. What brand and "name on the package" were those latches? On securing the latches, you can get a "hairpin clip" or pin from the hardware store to go through the hole. A big ACE Hdwr with Servapro (racks) may have something. Secure the pins, in turn, toe the bags so they can't get lost. Or, the old standby is a length of 3/4" nylon webbing with a snap buckle (from a an outdoor store that has backpacking supplies.

And great pics! I see that you're getting the hang of the CLOSEUP settings on the lens.. Ain't it fun...

--Bill
  4. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Nice repair, but somebody stole your seat!
  5. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I ended up with hair pins like Bill describes. They were in the boxed hardware section and labeled Hitch Pins. I did try and get small pad locks but the ones with a hasp long enough were too fat and the ones with a narrow enough hasp were not long enough. It was also several orders of magnitude more money for locks too, so Bobby Pins is is.

The main ingredient of this repair is the hasp. The Brand Name is National Hardware. They have several numbers on the package. They are packaged Each. 1 item per card. V35 or N208-512. I forget exactly which of these numbers was relevant but they are also labeled as 2 3/4" and 7 cm. They are distributed by Stanley and are Zinc plated Steel. I believe I paid only a dollar or two each for these but forget where I got them. I bought over the Web because it was not an item carried at any of the hardware stores near me.

Notice the clasp is bolted in two places. The rear portion or the part bolted to the Aluminum strip also needed to be raised two (2) washers worth so the function was positive. I'm going to add a couple more tiny 4mm bots the the Aluminum strip.

That is the first picture I took with the Macro feature of my new camera. It does look promising for a hundred dollar camera I think. I'm going to try reading some more of the directions booklet. :lol3

I didn't like that seat anyway. It's a repo and I leave it on all Winter trying to trash it.