New 1200GS-Adventure in the Garage

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JM, Jun 14, 2013.

1. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the Twisted Throttle Power Hub wired in tonight. The tool tray will pivot up to allow access to the area underneath.

Without the cover or fuses
    [​IMG]

With the cover but still no fuses

[​IMG]
  2. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put the almost final touches on the wiring project this afternoon. I'm very happy to say with the tank reinstalled and everything plugged in the bike fired right up.

I ran the wires from the front of the bike down the right side
    [​IMG]

A shot of the Baja Designs Squadrons and the high beam. I haven't had it out in the dark yet so no report on the high speed night bright factor.
    [​IMG]

Lights off. The stock next to worthless accessory lights are gone.
    [​IMG]

I decided to mount the Squadrons hanging down from the crash bar. In the upright position they blocked access to one of the screws to remove the beak. You also had no access to the inside up/down adjustment bolt on the light.
    [​IMG]

Front Left Powerlett socket for the GPS
    [​IMG]

Front Right Powerlett socket for the tank bag power and plugging in the battery tender while she sleeps in the garage.
    [​IMG]

Rear Right Powerlett socket for the air compressor
    [​IMG]

Rear left Powerlett socket for the heated jacket.
    [​IMG]
  3. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome John, great write up. Love the lights too. Now go out and get that baby dirty!:D
  4. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TRUST ME! It's on the top of my list of things to do this coming weekend.

After spending so much time in the garage workin on the thing I spent all night at work (2345-0730) trying to decide where to ride this Friday. I'm resisting the urge to ride up to Seattle and visit my friends at Touratech. I may ride up to Mt. Rainer. Or maybe up to the Hoh rainforest. Or maybe...............
  5. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haaa, yeah great problem to have isn't it? Warning though trips to places like Touratech can be spensive:D
    Love your workmanship and I wish my bike was that clean.
  6. johnny80s

johnny80s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Please keep it going. I am living vicariously through you.

Where did you get the braided cover for your wires?
  7. squatch.f22

squatch.f22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still following as well. I got the TT spoiler and love it. Significant improvement to windflow over the helmet.

- Justin
    2013 1200 GSA
  8. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up the stuff at Frys. It's rated to a temp of 125C. I hope I got it far enough away from the oil cooler lines. I'll find out this afternoon when I ride to work.
  9. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to pick up a TT spoiler from the TT folks at the MOA rally in Salem. The one on my 1150GSA worked great for me. The stock wind protection on the 1200GSA is much better than the stock 1150 was.
  10. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I copied a mod posted in another thread by grinding off the stopper nipple (for a lack of a better term) on the stock windshield adjustment hardware.
    This mod increased the height of the windshield by 1 1/2" inches.

I used a dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel to make the first pass then smoothed things a bit with a grinder wheel. There is a cast line in the plastic that I followed to try and make it look clean.

[​IMG]

Word of advise. Be gentle with the adjustment knob/bolt that holds the whole thing together. The bolt pops off the plastic knob way to easy for someone ham fisted like me. It looks like BMW stopped selling the individual bolt for the new Adventures. You now have the honor of paying $69 for a complete hardware package for the windshield adjustment system. Since I don't plan on adjusting the windscreen much I'll probably cobble something up that looks a little cleaner than the stainless washer/bolt I'm using now.

[​IMG]
  11. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
  12. Musashi50

Musashi50 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JM,

Have just finished reading this post from beginning to end.

:clap Nice work!

Just getting started on my GSA. Thanks for documenting your farkelization extravaganza so meticulously. This post is an outstanding reference for anyone wondering what to modify next and, more importantly, how to get it done. Major kudos & please keep the info flowing!
  13. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    This bike doesn't come with electronic cruise control? I'm not a BMW guy so I am not well versed but I just thought it would.
  14. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new water cooled has it available. Prior years, not available. Which I never understood since it was available on the R1200 RT. What was different on the RT that they couldn't migrate that system onto the GS is beyond me. Since the RT and GS are old-school cable throttle's, I'm assuming its got something to do with having space to add the cruise controllers....maybe the fairing-less design of the GS doesn't allow a good place to mount and conceal the controller.

I really miss true cruise control....next bike.
  15. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a short night ride tonight and got a few photos of the Baja Designs Squadron lights. The lights are still out of adjustment just a tad. I need to bring them down and out just a little. I adjusted them using a wall and the stock lights to get the basic adjustment down. Once I get them properly adjusted the beam spread will improve. I'm very impressed with these lights.

These crummy pictures were taken with my IPhone so bear with the lousy quality. I'll do another night test with my good camera and the lights properly adjusted soon.

Stock low and high beam
    [​IMG]

Stock low and high beam and the pair of Squadron lights
    [​IMG]

Having the lights properly aimed is very important. This pattern is from lights that are not properly aimed. They will get better than shown in the photo. I'm a bit of a light snob and these things impressed the heck out of me.
  16. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip.

These kind of make me wonder if I could rig up a set of Campy axle quick releases to work........I think I have a couple of Record 10 speed QR's laying around somewhere..:D
  17. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My plan to mount a 8" OnX light bar under the beak on the '13 GSA is coming together nicely. This morning I mounted a set of 1" crash bar clamps with the hopes the Super Tenere brackets will position the light bar far enough below the beak not to interfere with the light pattern. I also converted the left Squadron to a wide cornering light. My lighting plan is to have a 8" OnX spot shining up the middle for long range penetration. A Squadron combo on the right for mid range light aimed a little right to give me as much warning as possible when Bambi is coming in from the right ditch. And a Squadron wide cornering on the left for wide angle close range light. This will effectively give me the equilivent of a customized 24" light bar.

[​IMG]

I will not be using any dimmers or strobe modes with these lights. These will be way to bright to run in any kind of traffic during the day or night. All the lights will be controlled through the stock OEM fog light switch. This setup will only be used on night runs in areas with little to no traffic.

This is a link to the Super Tenere 8" OnX that will show you the bracket and how it attaches to the light. I can mount the brackets on the light on either side if one mount position helps me lower the position of the light under the beak.
    http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=457043

I picked up a few more farkles at the MOA Rally in Salem this weekend. As soon as I get them installed I'll post a few pictures.
  18. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got 3 of the 5 farkles I picked up at the MOA installed and thought I'd post a few pictures. Next up will be the Battery Splash Guard and the Baja Designs 8" OnX Led Spot Light Bar.

Fuel Line protector
    [​IMG]

Center Stand Skid Plate
    [​IMG]

Removable Headlight Guard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few photos I took at the Rally to show I actually do ride the bike :deal

My camp........shade=good
    [​IMG]

My buddy Tad on his 800GS heading into the mud pit during the GS Giant competition
    [​IMG]

Oh Tad.....this isn't going to end well
    [​IMG]

The 2012 Mayan Rally sticker on the windscreen did keep the pieces from falling off.
    [​IMG]
  19. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to take the '13 1200GSA for a first date in the dirt today. Fellow inmate VegasGSA was there to act as chaperone. Good times.

I felt like I was able to get to second base and most of the way to third. I'm starting to really appreciate the advances of the 1200GSA compared to my previous companion a '03 1150GSA. I did add one farkle to the bike on todays ride but it was a temporary one.

VegasGSA's red GSA on the left my GSA on the right. See if you can spot the farkle.

[​IMG]

A close up to the brake system farkle.
    [​IMG]

I thought the brake felt a little odd for the last several miles. I have no idea when I picked up the stick.
  20. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fellow inmate VEGASGSA was kind enough to act as chaparone on my second date in the dirt with the new GSA. Today I actually used the quick adjust handle bar farkle to change the angle of the handle bar and am pleased to report it helped a lot. On last weeks ride I felt like I was still a little hunched over when riding standing up. Tilting the bars up was raised me up just enough to be dang close to perfect.

Todays ride was a little rougher than last weeks and I got a little better taste of the capabilities of the 1200GSA compared to the 1150GSA. I was able to drop the RPM a little lower than the old bike and still chug my way out of pot holes in second gear. On the 1150GSA I would have had to drop it into first.

Baja Designs was scheduled to get in a new shipment of the 4300 Lumen 8"OnX lights in on Friday and hopefully they shipped my next farkle out Friday afternoon. That's next up on the list for upgrades. I hope to have it mounted by next week when I head up for the Riders For Health Scavanger Hunt Rally out of Brinnon Washington.
    http://www.payitsquare.com/collect-page/10451

Photo at Goose Lake from todays ride. A rider from the Rally in the Gorge XI was kind enough to come around the corner just in time to add a little moto background to my picture.
    [​IMG]