Need Some NYC/NJ advice please

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by PDsgt, Nov 20, 2012.

1. PDsgt

PDsgt Realistic about life

Oddometer:
    So I am planning on attending the IMS show in late January in NYC. I would like to make a weekend out of it. Take in a show and wander the streets.

My question that I need help with, is that $$ is a little tight. So I am thinking that I could stay in New Jersey at a cheaper hotel with cheaper parking and take public transportation into the city. So thats my question. Where should I stay that would give me decent price for a room (Decent place, no cockroach motels please) and I can catch public transportation quickly and easily into the city.

Thanks for any help.
  2. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The most convenient place to get a bus into NYC would be from Fort Lee, NJ. So if you google hotel/motel in Fort Lee I am sure something will come up. The bus stop in Fort Lee is right at the enterance of GW Bridge, and from there it's a short ride to Jacob Javitz Center...short ride distance wise but long traffic wise.

Hope this helps
  3. lulo

lulo Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer:
    staying right off the lincoln is always a good idea and ive found to be rather cost effective for friends out of town

google, days inn north bergen nj, super8 north bergen nj, howard johnson north bergen nj....all of them have very frendly rates plus they have steady bus service round the clock to and from times square be it from the local spanish shuttle buses or the nj transit routes.

secaucus nj also has loads of hotels and they also have constant nj transit service but ive found them to be a tad more expensive rate wise
  4. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    look for hotels in or around Pavonia/Newport in Jersey City. You can take the PATH or Ferry over to NYC. Most of the hotels are geared for business travelers during the week so they are all new and pretty decent.
  5. Recht

Recht Binge Thinker

Oddometer:
    Comfort inn, Lower east side of Manhattan for around 130/night. I don't know how much cheaper staying in Jersey would be, but this may be an option for you.http://www.lowereastsidehotel.com
  6. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would stay away from those motels on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel :eek1

The Y on the west side (60s between Central Park and Brodway) is another option.
  7. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look for something near Weehawkin and take the ferry across the Hudson. It drops you off right behind the Javits center.
  8. hitmanlol

hitmanlol Cotor Myclist

Oddometer:
    Try that lower east side option if you can swing it. You'll save money on transportation.
  9. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
  10. GridCrosser

GridCrosser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a large hostel in 103rd Street and Amsterdam Av.

Also, several moderately priced hotels have been built in the vincinity of the Queensboro Plaza subway station on the 7, N and Q lines. Brands like Ramada, Sheraton Four Points, Holiday Inn, Best Western etc. One subway stop from Manhattan but much cheaper hotel rooms.
  11. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a bunch of hostels in NYC, they are cheap and clean look them up. If not I would do a hotel in Queens, there's a few newer comfort inn's and howard johnsons at a decent price off the 59th street bridge with the subways right out of the door.