2001 KTM 640 Enduro Commuter and Touring Questions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BaileyAZ, Dec 29, 2012.

1. BaileyAZ

BaileyAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I am the proud owner of a new to me KTM 640 Enduro. The bike came with new Dunlop 606's two helmets and a few new spare parts. I purchased a set of Shinko 705's for commuting. I am looking to purchase panniers and can not choose between soft and hard bags. I am leaning towards Happy Trail Teton hard cases but can't decide between 7.5 or 9 in if I go with hard bags. Any opinions and or pictures would help.

Thanks!

PS- I plan on commuting weekly and touring a couple times a year.
  2. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you plan on riding off road get soft panniers, they hold up better if you crash. I had Dirt Bagz Ranger soft bags on my 640e http://www.dbzproducts.com

There's also Giant Loop and Wolfman soft luggage.
  3. BaileyAZ

BaileyAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the resonse, but I already ordered HT Teton 9" Panniers (20 minutes ago). I wanted to take advantge of the free shipping and the $100 Gift cert that they are offering. After having a Harley with soft bags, I really wanted something I could lock up. Commuting is goining to play major role in this bikes life, so I was leaning towards a little more security. Thanks again. I will post up when I get the Teton by Happy Trail.
  4. BaileyAZ

BaileyAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update:
    I contacted Happy Trail and changed my order to the 7.5" with a cliff cut on the exhaust side. After putting just under 100 miles on the bike around town in the last few days with some pretty gusty winds, I ordered a Cee Bailey wind screen. Thanks again for the replies!
  5. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Bailey, You might want to reconsider.
    The width of the bags from the centerline should fit inside the handlebars if possible. I have done a bunch of traveling with Touratech Zega panniers.

They are never big enough. Packing for extended travel or RTW travel is difficult with the largest panniers sold.

Zega panniers are 8 or 10X17X15 inches, the smaller pannier is for the muffler side.

Panniers are like houses, chose your own.

bill