Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
    Self punted from the show us your bicycle thread :lol3

Guess this is the best place to ask a bicycle question? Anyone know what make of tricycle would be worth getting for my 19+ year old daughter? We've looked at a few so far but there doesn't really seem to be any difference in them with the exception of the price. We had hoped to get her something with two wheels out front and at best a 3 speed sturmey-archer type gear set in the rear because she probably wouldn't be able to handle derailleur type gears.

Thanks

Jeff

My daughter is handicapped and has a hard time balancing on a regular bicycle (even though she can ski).
  2. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you're looking for a recumbent, like a Catrike. Take a look around bentrideronline.com (BROL). There is a directory, at the top of the page, with pretty much every brand available. Pricing has a lot to do with construction and level of components. I'm not an expert, but, join and search BROL and the folks there will be happy to answer your questions.
  3. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:

Or..a plain old schwinn.

[​IMG]

Which would it be? The Schwinn is a much different pitch, obviously. The recumbent is meant to take you places. The Schwinn is meant for you to enjoy a quick trip into town, or a nice cruise along the boardwalk.

Which is it?
  4. vfr700

vfr700 172S

Oddometer:
    Classic Bob Jackson trike, will work w/ Sturmey Archer, but the wheel pair is at the rear.[​IMG]
  5. vfr700

vfr700 172S

Oddometer:
  6. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I know of a side-by side bike set up, Grandy Pedal Partner. My dad has and wants to sell.
    [​IMG]

I think he has changed the bikes since I took these.
    So maybe just the parts that make this work are all one needs.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The pieces break down pretty small. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Most of the three wheelers I've seen that are two front wheels are derailleur types and very low to the ground. They look like a lot of fun to me.
    The more upright traditional tricycle types around the retirement parks could be found around as well.
  7. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks!
    It's my fourth Cannondale (I still have two of the others), but my first carbon, and my first not made in the USA :cry

I wanted something comfortable and reasonbly fast, or maybe fast, yet reasonably comfortable...hopefully it fits the bill.

I just registered for this yesterday: http://ironmanbikeride.org/ With any luck, the snow will be gone by then.

And from the world of ironies, last year when I picked up my new v-strom from the dealer someone backed into my car. Yesterday, when I picked up the Cannondale, someone backed into my car...:pissed

edit- Here's the other two:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I guess I shouldn't bitch then, huh? No snow round here to speak of this winter. :rayof

I just got in from 3hrs. Managed to ride around most of the weather. Got in just as it was starting to rain. ...with a layer of ice on my booties! Thank doG for Gore Tex! :nod

Edited to add: I don't know of any non-'bent tricycles with 2 wheels up front. If you google J&B Importers catalog, there's a selection of Sun trikes that pretty much any LBS can order. They're OK. They're not very high quality, but it doesn't sound like it'll get ridden that hard. HTH

M
  9. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to say...that is *awesome*! The one thing about taking the bikes into town on Sunday morning that I always notice is that we're screaming to talk to each other. This'd make an awesome sunday rider :D
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I have considered taking this kit off my dad's hands and updating it slightly to fit my mtb and one of the beach cruisers with gears that lives in the ceiling of my garage. Then my wife and I could waddle about on the beach bike path.
    Need a cupholder for my generic-look adult beverage. :beer

11. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    I am really sorry that you own such crappy bikes. Send them to me - I am such a good friend, I will take them off your hands for you and make sure you never have to lay eyes on those POSs again. For free, even! :lol3
  12. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
  13. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
    Awesome replies :clap

I'm kind of taken by this model. But it looks like it would be a heavy old thing to hustle around.

[​IMG]

So something like this but maybe a bit lighter and with real brakes. The other thought I had was to buy a yard sale bike or two and break out the mig welder - but I wouldn't want to subject my little one to my welding skills (or lack of them).
  14. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    That would probably make my wife very happy :D she doesn't know about the latest one, yet. :eek1

I'm considering taking a hiatus from motos for a year or two to appease her a bit, and because I'm not really having the time for both hobbies, especially with a two year old at home...
  15. vfr700

vfr700 172S

Oddometer:
    Or the Bakfiet trike @ http://bakfiets.nl/eng/modellen/cargotrike/large/ :

[​IMG]
  16. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    I saw a chick at the local dog park come screaming down the hillside in one of those, like her hair was on fire; she had her dog in the front and that dog looked like he was having the time of his life. :lol3

If you're even remotely handy with a welder, then this book might be the answer. I'm at work (and my copy's at home) but I think there's some decent instructions in there for some stuff that might work. ETA; He's got a website - http://atomiczombie.com/

Whatever you decide, POST PICS

Well you know you could send me your motos too, what can I say, I'm a giving guy.... :lol3
  17. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
    Thanks - will post some pics as soon as we've figured out what to get her. There looks like there's some pretty neat plans on that site.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's any consolation, I got hit Nov 11th and am still dealing with it. I just spent an hour scanning and sending more paperwork to the claims investigator. Ugh! Props to State Farm, though, as they cut me a check for my total loss within a couple days. They told me they'd handle the other driver's insurance company and to not worry about it. :thumb
  19. 2whl-hoop

Oddometer:
    Yeah this is nothing that serious, except the guy didn't give me any insurance info. He said he wanted to take care of it himself. I just had the estimate done and it was a hair over $2k. We'll see if he ponies up or not. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because he was at a bike shop :lol3. he had an out of state DL though, which came across as kind of sketchy. The people at the shop seemed to know him.

Worse case scenario: I turn it into my insurance and let them go after him...

Well, as I was typing this the guy called and offered to bring out cash tomorrow morning. :thumb

-edit- the guy showed up too. With a wad of cash.
  20. Schnickelfritz

Schnickelfritz pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer:
    Snow day today! Snowbird powder yesterday, Seattle cement today, with a fine crust like a crème brulée.

Snowman convention
    [​IMG]

Steep and deep, but the street's cleared
    [​IMG]

Giant slalom
    [​IMG]