2015-on Versys 650 (LT/ABS)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mcmann, Nov 5, 2014.

1. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered the 650 LT thinking it would fit nicely between my current two bikes.

I switched to soft bags on my Wee2 to keep the weight down. The wet naked weight is 472 lbs. compared to 476 lbs. 650 LT (w/out bags, hand guards & rear rack).

My Wee hand guards, soft bags, center stand, crash bars & skid probably add at least 20 lbs. By the time I add the weight of the hard bags, hand guards, rear rack and top case to the LT . . . It will weigh 510 lbs. Plus, I will want crash bars and skid . . . Bumping it to 520 lbs.

It will weigh approx. 25 lbs. more than the Wee (due mostly to three hard bags on the LT snd soft bags on the Wee).

Having the exhaust under the bike will offset at least half the extra weight.

Anywho . . . Just thinking out loud . . . while I wait two more months etc.

I realize my bikes are somewhat redundant . . .

[​IMG]
  2. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was disappointed when I sat on it at the bike show, way too heavy. Guess I'll wait for the Tenere -07?
  3. mcmann

Oddometer:
    I am guessing it is 25 lbs. lighter than a similar setup V2:

[​IMG]
  4. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suzuki Canada lists the kitted out V-Strom 650 EXP as 472 lbs.

[​IMG]

which is same as they indicate for the least expensive, no luggage, no skid plate, no crash bars, etc. version:

[​IMG]

I am pretty sure the base model is the 472 lb. model, and the kitted-out EXP version is 500 lbs. plus

I found the DL650 (previous version) too top heavy, hopefully the Versys will feel less so, as it seems to tick all the boxes for a well-priced, mid-size, solo tourer.
  5. mcmann

Oddometer:
    The Rake/Caster and Trail are similar (Versys vs. Wee2):

[​IMG]

Wee2:

[​IMG]
  6. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't mean this harshly but.....what are you comparing this to? It's not a 300lbs off-road bike.

To each his own however.....you ever sit or ride an XTZ660 Tenere?? You might be surprised as this Versys is very similar (within 20lbs) in all specs (no spoke rims of course). Calling it heavy to me is a bit harsh. It's not ever going to KTM690 or Husky630 but realistically its great for what it is and more importantly, price point.

I too am eagerly awaiting the Tenere 07.
  7. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Good question. My Wee feels huge and heavy in comparison to my FZ-09. Need to compare apples to apples etc.

Since the U.S. never got the 660 Tenere . . . We may not get a 07 Tenere.
  8. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:

Could be right, Yamaha has decided to go all the way with the S10 (in the USA). The MT-07 in Tenere form would take lots of sales from her.

We most likely will get the sport touring package (for the 07 p.twin) that will be a lot like the 900 triple.

It would compete against the Versys like no other. Lighter and faster, yet less suspension.
    If the Versys does really well here in the US, I am sure that Yamaha will do the same with the p.twin 07 that they did with the 900 triple.
  9. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I'm "dirtying up" this Versys thread, but while we're waiting on the arrival of said motorcycle, my mind is still going over several different bike choices.

Right now, I'm looking at Honda's CB1100 Deluxe to replace the KLR650 for road duty. As I mentioned before, I decided to have two different bikes (one road/one off road) rather than trying to have one that "does it all".

I'm looking for lower seat height, multi cylinders, better comfort on the longer road trips.

This is what I'm looking at:

[​IMG]

Throw a windshield on and add some soft luggage, and it would probably be better than the V650LT.

Comments? Thoughts?
  10. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was comparing it to my current SV1000, which is about 450. If I am going down to a 650, it better be lighter!
  11. rathawk

rathawk unbaffled noise pump

Oddometer:
  12. dmason

dmason goofball Supporter

Oddometer:
    Three year 2008 Versys owner here. Put over 20k miles on that bike. Loved it. Loved. It.

Moved to a BMW R1200GS when my interests shifted to 500+ mile days. Yes, they can be done on a 650, but for me, at 6'4" and 220lbs, they were PAINFUL. Very happy with my big GS. Power is addicting, even the jump from 650 to 1200 CC's is not enough!

That said, I'm surprised this conversation revolves solely around the V, the Wee and the FJ-09. No mention of BMW's F700GS?

The advantages for some (shorter folks especially) are many:

Accessible seat height: don't be fooled by the 32+ inch measurement. The front of the saddle is VERY narrow, allowing my 5'3" wife to comfortably get the balls of both feet securely on the ground. She much preferred the seat height over the Wee, which she couldn't even come close to touching both feet while seated on.

Lower weight at 461 lbs ready to ride.

800cc motor: more power and torque than both the V and Wee?

Excellent mileage: rated at 60MPG, this is no exaggeration. On a five day ride in Arkansas, my friend on his F800GS (same motor tuned for MORE power than the 700), consistently returned much better fuel economy than I did on my '08 V.

19" front wheel: this is a biggee. This led us to try the F700 for my wife, as I now ride a fair amount of dirt and gravel roads and she is reluctant to follow on her Ninja 300 (can you blame her?). Choice of real dual sport tires for the front.

Available center stand, heated grips, and hard luggage.

At $9,990 (priced below the FJ-09) I feel like this bike should be a part of this conversation. It would be a great fit for many people considering a new Versys, especially if they require a lower seat height.
  13. dmason

Oddometer:
    And JeePhoto - you crack me up. From KLR to 2103 V, to 2015 V, to Tiger 1050 to CB1100??? You're all over the map.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

What about the new Scrambler Ducati MCs.

http://scramblerducati.com/en

I like the X.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    This is worth looking at.

KLR (435lbs) is to Versys (474lbs)
    as the
    MIGHTY DR (366lbs) is to the YZ-07 (MT-07) (398lbs.

Most adv riders go KLR over the Mighty DR (NORTH AMERICA).

If you are going for the Hooligan look, and you want a lighter MC to stealth camp, and you are less than 6 feet tall/ well below 200lbs, and do not need a whole lot of comfort, and you do not carry a lot of gear, and you cover about 150-200 miles a day, then the Candy Yams is worth looking into.
    The YZ is just 32lbs more lbs than the DR.

So if you are giving up mountain pass routes, and just into hard packed forest roads, then the YZ is worth looking into.
  16. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    That is the short coming of the Japan MCs.

There should be a forest road version fo these MCs.

Just a solid 7.5" of suspension, 19" tyre, hard plastic skid plat. 9" ground clearence, solid S10 hand guards.
    The NC, Versys Shouod have these.
    And the Wee3 should have been totaly redone like the V2 was, but a 65-75% dirt MC.

There is way too much of a gap inbetween the thumpers and the econo touring MCs.

Not saying I would go team Europe. Sadly, a used S10 is just too much MC. i do not need 100+ hp at 570lbs.

I think Yamaha will bust open the gap with the 698cc engine. If not, I could make the naked work.
    Hell, its suspension is not even an inch less that the NC and VERSYS.

Your frustrated Yank,
    Juice.
  17. Jeephoto

Jeephoto Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving this thread; yesterday I put a deposit on a 2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe. I will pick up the bike on Wednesday. I love the looks and it meets so many of my needs, I couldn't pass it up. I'll be over in the CB1100 thread from here on.
  18. dmason

Oddometer:
    See ya in a couple years!

LOL, enjoy the bike.
  19. dmason

Oddometer:
    Wonder how an 1,100cc air cooled bike will fair in July in Dallas. Keep us posted.
  20. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Congrats . . . Give us your impression . . . It is a sweet ride. Yep . . . I am looking around too while I wait. The Vee2 is still temping me!

I remember the 70's: CB750, XS650, 900Z1, etc . . . All air cooled with no issues. Liquid cooling allows for tighter tolerances . . . which is an advantage.