Great Spacecoaster dualsporting

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Kommando, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Scuba, I may have to bail on Sunday's ride, there is a possibility I am heading over to the Gulf of Mexico to surf some tropical action thanks to TS Debbie...The open ocean Gulf buoy is 14 feet and rising....If the weather is clear I'm pointing the truck west.
    I'll call you at 8AM and let you know..If no Gulf, I'llf definatly ride. Yes, it is the C Union trails...Hidden beauty, I'll at least give you directions, it is fun solo.
    -Sandspit
  2. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Ice Breather!

Oddometer:
    my six fiddy is back in action. maybe not tomorrow but next weekend I'll be looking for "places to ride and people to ride with!" :freaky
  3. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good.
  4. AngelFZ

AngelFZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope I can get a dual sport and start exploring trails around the area!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Ice Breather!

Oddometer:
    a 2012 500EXC is where all the action is! :deal

or a used XR650L off CL. which ever the wallet or wife allows :freaky
  6. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sandspit

The bike never made it out of the garage yesterday, hope your surfing was more productive.
  7. AngelFZ

AngelFZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Actually, what do you guys ride?

I have a Yamaha FZ6 and even though I've seen some pictures in this forum of people using, or abusing, this bike off road I don't think it would be the best idea, at least not for me.

I was thinking to look for something light, about 300-350 pounds.

8. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been riding dual sport for the last 45 years, along with street/track/adv touring/just joy riding/ and grocery getting.

Two things I've found figure into the equation: How young and strong and big are you? And, how old are you? This last question first - I turned 60 late last year and it was like flipping a switch physically. Before that I was fine with throwing the bike down. Now I find my balance and ability to pick a top heavy 450+ lb pig up is slipping. Oh yeah, I'm 6 ft and currently about 220 lbs, but trying to get back under 200.

Around here there is sand and hard pack. But just 1.5 - 2 hrs north is the Ocala Nat'l Forest with a good mix of hard pack FS roads and lots more sand roads/trails. Lots more of both. So a dual sport big enough to haul you locally and a couple of hours up the road, and easy enough to pick up more than once a day from a sand nap is a good way to go. These factors are where your size (and age) come into the equation.

Even at my size, I've come close more than once to dumping the F 650 for something like a Suzuki 400 or 350. I've held onto the F 650 because it has really good highway legs and I've ridden it as far as OH and doen and Iron Butt ride on it. One of these days I may let it go and just keep the BMW R80 ST because it will do almost all the same stuff and is lighter in weight.

Just a couple of random thoughts thrown out as food for thought.
  9. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Kawasaki KLR650, it is heavy (400 lbs) but it is a tractor.
  10. AngelFZ

AngelFZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great information, thanks a lot.

I'm 38, 5'-9" and around 185 lb. I must always keep in mind that at times my back wants to go against my will, about three years ago I had a herniated disk which I thought would not allow me to explore the joy of riding motorcycles, fortunately this was not the case. The FZ6 is my first bike and I got it over 2 years ago. I'm very happy with it but I'd like to take more advantages of the opportunities the local area offers and learn/enjoy riding off road. Initially I was thinking to get a dirt bike, but then transportation gets on the way and I'd rather get something I could also use for my daily commute (about 40 miles with 55MPH being the highest speed limit).

Last bike week I test rode the new Vstrom, which I liked a lot, but I already have the FZ6 and I won't spend over 8k to have some more off road capabilities than my current bike. I'd like a second bike with a clear defined purpose different than the FZ6.

I recently saw a KLX250 which got me wondering but highway use could be a very limiting factor, for example going to the Ocala NF. I think test riding it might help.

Once againg, thanks a lot for the information.

11. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Ice Breather!

Oddometer:
    Personally I think the DR350 is the best bang for your buck. they are on craigslist for a dime a dozen and suzuki sold a LOT of them. parts are easy to come by, and there is tons of aftermarket support and engine modifications you can do if you ever want more power. Its small enough to get great gas mileage yet big enough to take you down the freeway at 65 - 70 mph all day long. one of the other things i like about it is lots of suspension travel. it feels and handles like a real dirt bike. great machine. Ive never owned one but i have a friend that has one and he loves it. ive also ridden 3 different DR350s and was impressed.
  12. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few of us in the area have smaller-displacement, lighter bikes like the KLX250S. Some of us ride big thumpers like the XRL, KLR, or DR. Some ride big twins. Some ride big twins surprisingly well at slow speeds in soft sand with street-biased tires. I much prefer having at least a front knobby. A little speed makes it easier for me too.

A 250 like a KLX, WRR, or DR250 would be fine for riding up to Ocala NF and back. I'd suggest taking the US1/Hwy 40 route though, unless you're comfortable on one of those bikes at 70MPH (GPS) for at least an hour. Many people are. Some of these smaller bikes have even been ridden around the world, so an hour on 95 to get to 40 could seem like no big deal. I still prefer the secondary-roads over I-95 though, even on a multi-cylinder. It has more scenery and character, IMO. Those lighter bikes with adjustable suspension would be easier to toss around in the sand and pick up than a 350lb+ pig. That's not to say that the bigger bikes are no good. A decent front knobby can make many of the bigger bikes quite capable in the sand.

I'd look for a screamin' deal on a used 250-350 dualsport with a wide gearspread to start out, unless you want to haul a passenger very far. I'd recommend at least a 650 thumper for a little extra space and torque if hauling a passenger any real distance, but they're usually heavier. Ride it around here until the sand is no big deal, then go play in Ocala.
  13. Sandspit

Oddometer:
    AngelFZ, I give a second votefor the DR350, I had one and just recently sold it and already miss it. Able to do 60 mph on the road all day, felt like a true dirt bike offroad, very simple easy to work on, cheap technolgy but many aftermarket changes to boost power/suspension. Get a 98 or 88 model they have the best shocks. I tried my friends DRZ400 and liked the DR350 better because of the 6 speed gerabox. But just get something! it does not matter..XT, Dr, DRZ, XR, KLR, just get back into it, make it affordable and more importantly..crashable...or go big and shell out many $$$$ for KTM, BMW, Husky, etc.
    Scubadown...Too bad about the rainout, maybe we can ride this weekend, I am off Fri-Sun...surfing the Gulf of Mexi was fun, not as big as I hoped, but worth the drive to get out in the raw power nature, it sad that something we (surfers) live for also take lives, R.I.P. one dead from a tornado due to Debby.
    .No motoX pic today but here is one from da' Gulf on Sunday.
    [​IMG]
  14. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Its hard to argue against the DR350. I followed one around this weekend and I was working my $10K KTM hard to keep up. Of course the rider has a little something to do with it, but still.

Bang for buck DR350.
  15. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll second all the comments about taking the surface highways over the slab. Unless I'm heading north on a 8-13 hour slog to get to NC or TN, I much prefer using various routes up US 1/US17/SR40-SR19/SR46-SR11/and SR13 when I can take the time.

And there are even more CRs up around Flagler County and surrounding areas that allow good time on North-South trips. Great agricultural scenery. Seriously.

Edit: I forgot to throw in that one of my friends over on F650.com is in his 80s and probably still has no qualms about jumping on his XT225 and riding from Columbus, GA to Nova Scotia. He's certainly done it before right around the time he was approaching the Big 80. Smaller and good enduro bikes will still get you there & back.
  16. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody up for a ride Saturday? I've got some cool Merritt Island/Cocoa Trails or we could do something else.

Best

Tom
  17. AngelFZ

AngelFZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for your comments and recommendations.

Today I went to Gainesville help some relatives moving and on my way back I went through the Ocala National Forest. I have to admit that now I'm driving paying much more attention where dirt roads are located and if they're locked!!!!!

18. Sandspit

Oddometer:
    Hey Scuba...I was too busy to ride yesterday but how about this AM? Short notice but I'm down for a ride this AM before it gets too hot. Hit me up on my cell or I'll call you...
  19. Sandspit

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the hospitality Scuba, it was a blast riding the tight single track with you. I will say your riding is super-smooth you rarely touched the brakes or put your feet down. The next opportunity I can leave work early, I'll call you for an after work ride up your way.

-Sandspit.
  20. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sandspit, Enjoyed it too. Had to checkout the sunset tonight

[​IMG]