Buying F800GS demo?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JesperDenmark, Sep 30, 2012.

1. JesperDenmark

JesperDenmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi GS freaks,

Would it be advisable for me to purchase a 2012 F800GS that has been used as a demonstration model with 1000km on it?
    I mean most people would want to test the engines capabilities when trying out the demo machine, so I assume it would be more worn out?
    What do you think?

Jesper
  2. too old for dirt

too old for dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would not worry if the price is right! It still has the warranty and test riders would probably be conservative.:D
  3. JesperDenmark

JesperDenmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, the savings on this particular model is approx. 20% from the listprice.
    No need to quote prices as this is in Denmark, and obviously we have outrageous taxes so it won't be comparable.
  4. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    My 800 was a demo model. I still the got the same warranty from the time of sale and saved thousands. I figure all the kinks were worked out before I bought it. :lol3
  5. BamaTexRider

BamaTexRider MOTO-MIKE

Oddometer:
    I would never buy a demo, think about it. What do people do when they test ride, they dog the hell out of a cold engine. But that is just my opinion.:eek1
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    as long as he still gets his 3 year (or 2 year) warrenty who cares? The engine break in takes at least 10.000km.
    If you get a good price out of it, go for it and don't look back. If there is a problem you have your warrenty.

my 0.02cts
  7. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't worry much about it (versus a rental where you get a LDW).

A demo bike is one that is often loaned out to mature customers to "try" or as a "loaner" for customers who are getting their bike serviced. It may be even used by the shop to get a feel of what a bike may do. 1000km of mileage appears to reflect that.

For customers who want to "demo" the bike, they most certainly weren't ready to drop a few thousand dollars on it so that's why it's still there. This means they may have played with it gingerly, but with new tires and the voice of reason in the back of their mind ("if you drop it, you'll own it") they'll take it gingerly. No wheelies, stoppies or grinding pegs - anything that would leave obvious marks.

The shop guys... different story. But they know what they did and when you bring it back you'll probably have less of an issue ("Uh, yeah, this the bike I did that long burn out in the parking lot after I dropped the clutch - hard. FUN! Let me fix her right up") getting any work done and fixed up perfect.

A return from a customer who changed their mind, a bike used as part of a rental fleet for touring, a trade in... I'd be much much more cautious.

I was seeing 20% off (technically farkles) for 2012 models too. Seems to be the going rate for a bike with a wee bit of demo mileage.

Switch it around - if you ran the shop, and wanted the demo bike out, how much would you cut off the price?
  8. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy the one I test rode.:evil
  9. Zeke Markham

Zeke Markham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine was a demo for 2,000ish miles, I haven't had any problems so far and I beat the hell out of mine.
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alle Danskere koere paent.....Koeb den.....:D:lol3:clap
  11. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I have to admit 20% off would get me to think about it....

Last time a near-by dealer had a demo in my part of the world, the discount they were offering was only ~5%
  12. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    this is the discount I got on a new one :huh
  13. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    1000 K kms is nothing. Did they do the first service? That would save you a bit too if it's been done (should be).

Most test riders are kinda nervous and go easy on it. Get confirmation on what if anything had to be repaired (dropped?) If it's a reputable dealer there should be trust. Did they put that mileage on it themselves or did they get it that way? If they got it new then they will know how it was treated.

In Canada anyway, the test fleet is auctioned off privately every fall to the Dealerships and have maybe 5K kms on them. The test rides are controlled and have a lead/tail rider to monitor things. Sometimes they get scratched by boots etc. but the quality can be trusted. The remaining warranty still applies.

My '09 F8 was a different story. It was an OFFROAD test bike and that was quite obvious. Then it was given to the boys at http://www.onewheeldrive.net/ to participate in the Arctic Challenge. Yep, that's my bike. I bought it through the Dealer with no promises made or implied but I did see it tore apart with the damage shown to me. It was half price with 10K kms on it. Cost me a grand in parts (at cost, thanks!) to get it safetied. It's been an awesome bike with no signs of permanent damage. Same clutch etc. now with 45K kms on it. I only had one warranty claim for peeling paint (on a badly damaged body panel :D) and it looks well cared for when clean.

I'd do it again. Just make sure you get it checked over near the end of the Warranty to address any issues. By then you'll know if anythings wrong anyway.
  14. kazi77

kazi77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine was a demo bike too, with 1500kms. Now it has 43000kms and no serious problems.
    But i could get 25% discount. :D
  15. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    I had an ex-demo original f650. No issues.
    In reality, the bike is ridden within it's design envelope. So should be able to handle it.
    So a few riders revved it out or laboured it? So what! It is not an over stressed engine.
    It will probably be run in better than the bikes whose owners ride them like a nana.
    Think about it, some bikes do not get ridden hard enough. The rings don't get a chance to really bed in.

I had an ex rental R1200gs. Probably thrashed now and then. But it ran like a dream and never used any oil.

Go for it.
  16. BamaTexRider

BamaTexRider MOTO-MIKE

Oddometer:
    Bottom line is when u buy a demo you are taking a gamble, could be a great bike or not. If the coins are worth it to u go for it. Really its still too much money to gamble on maybe a good breakin or maybe not. Your money.:eek1
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my fellow Dane bailed on us...... Or bought a tiger......then bailed....:freaky
    Hvor blev du af Jesper???????:freaky
  18. srensen

srensen n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Jesper.

I bought a 2012 demo in February this year. It had even been dropped and had scratches on the fairing panels. It's riding great, there's been no issues with it, and the warranty started from the day I bought it. I'd say go for it if you trust the dealer.

Actually I'm moving my bike with me to Denmark soon, so ping me back if you want to go riding in the Roskilde area :-)

Mvh, Thomas

19. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking at the possibility of a 650 ex-demo, but for a 2012 model, the discounts suck pushing me to a 2011 or 10.
    Its almost like they are pushing an owner to a new 700 and the demo's they don't mind sitting around. Give or take a few hundred bucks between the two is what i am seeing...20% would make it worth it for me.
  20. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:

Here's the Deal Vettel. (kind of a repeat of my previous post I just realized :D)

In Canada anyway, the Demo bikes are put up for private auction amongst all the Canadian BMW Dealers. The winning Dealer can ask whatever they feel like for the bike. Usually at a much bigger profit margin than on a new one. You can try to deal with them on price but it's really up to the market, just like a private sale. My 800 offroad test bike was quite beat up. I bought it "as is" with the Dealer selling me the parts at cost to fix it. In the end I got a one yr old bike with 10K kms on it for half price by the time it was certified. Still a deal and has been great.

See what kind of a deal you can get. Maybe you can get some free accessories or?