something everybody should ride to once

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lucky_strike, Apr 20, 2009.

1. lucky_strike

lucky_strike Long timer

Oddometer:
    thunder over louisville. two weeks before the start of the kentucky derby. the largest firework show in the world. 2503 firewroks to be exact. 45 minutes of non stop booms, ohhs, and ahhs. they close down the bridge crossing the ohio river a nd shoot fireworks off of it, and two barges are fully equiped as well. a 2 hour air show, 1 million people, alot of beer and beads is a hell of a good time. and the best part is if you are on a bike they let you ride into the closed to traffic streets, and that can save an hour of walking and 40 dollar parking.

so heres some pics. there 64 of them, and two videos. i tell you pictures do this event no justice.

we took the 02 vstrom 1000. left at 4 and got there at 5.

enjoy.

[​IMG]

this is one the barges that were loaded with fireworks
    [​IMG]

this is one of the series they shoot off the 65 bridge going to indiana
    [​IMG]

i love this pic. no photoshopping here at all
    [​IMG]

a little bit of a closer look
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

another bardge picture
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the american flag they fly around right before the show
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the bride and the famous "waterfall"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bridge is to the left and in front is a barrdge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

be right back with more...ever seen a black hawk have itstail sybmerged in the ohio river????
  2. lucky_strike

lucky_strike Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

so you get the firework idea. 45 minutes of that non stop. they are everwhere when they start shooting them off. so heres some pictures of the airshow and crowd

how about a big ass helicopter under the bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the old to the new
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the crowd
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more to come a little later
  3. Chiggers

Chiggers I should get the bike out

Oddometer:
    The chopper pics are great - I have very fond meories of Louiseville - needed emergency route canal work whilst on vacation from UK- Universtity dental school is great and cheap - so was Howl at the Moon whilst recovering!!
  4. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I had no idea that happened there. I've always enjoyed the fireworks on the Mall in DC for the 4th. Will definitely have to catch this sometime!
  5. thumperphile

thumperphile Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had decent weather-people in T-shirts. The past couple of years were cold and wet. Thunder is a big deal in the 'ville.

People usually dismiss fireworks shows but this one is huge. It is the best event during derby.

Used to be able to go to the airport and walk around the show planes before the air show. Don't know if they do it every year but one year they had B-2's fly over from the base in MO, very quiet and very eerie.

Thanks for the report and pics.