I want.... No, I need a bigger bike!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by wyobohunter, Aug 24, 2013.

1. wyobohunter

wyobohunter Unapologetic Editor

Oddometer:
    I have to travel for work pretty frequently. 230 miles to one location and 280 miles to another. I can either drive my work truck or take my own vehicle (company pays 51 cents per mile if I use my own). So I figured I'd try out my little WR250R just for kicks.
    I learned two things very quickly:

1-That seat sucks for any real mileage.
    2-The little 250 gets too hot when hauling my fat ass up a steep grade at 90°F and nearly 7,000' elevation.

So I've put the Polaris ranger on Craigslist and will dump that money into a bigger bike. I'm most interested in a new F800GS, I think I want the adventure.

My question is, there are no dealerships in the area. How hard is the maintenance on one of these? What engine oil and filter do you use? What else should I be prepared for?
  2. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never had a dealer do any maintenance on my bike, and most of us on here have not either. The GSA may be an option or just a GS, or even a nicely used GS. Honestly they are one of the most forgiving bikes I have dealt with but they have quirks, none of which are horrible.
  3. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    What motor oil and filter? There is a KTM dealership here. I stopped in see if they'd have a good motor oil for my WR. Only stuff they had was some racing oil that (according to the service counter guy) you have to use in a KTM. $20 for a quart!

Just want to avoid buying anything that cost me a million bucks to maintain.

I do want something I can explore the desert, mountains and highways with. The BMW seems to fit the bill but I want to be sure the maintenance isn't more of a pain/more expensive than the average ride.

I read in another post (paraphrasing)
    "Why would you spend the extra money on a BMW and then be too cheap to pay for professional servicing?".

My answer would be "Because I don't pay others to do what I can do myself... If general maintenance is problematic (havin to take things apart just to do simple/routine maintenance like an oil change) I'll pass on the bike.

I'd be willing to remove things I put on aftermarket (skid plate) but if I have to strip it down... No thanks
  4. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    I use Shell Rotella diesel oil 15w-40 and a Wix filter as both are easily found locally. Nearest BMW dealer is 2 hours away. I commute with mine daily. Maintenance is easy, valve adjust can be a bit involved but with 12000 mile intervals not a big deal.
  5. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    From the handbook:

Engine oil, capacity: 3.1 quarts (2.9 l), with filter change
    Recommended oil: BMW Motorrad High Performance Oil SAE 15W-50, API SJ / JASO MA2
    Oil additives: BMW Motorrad does not recommend using oil additives, as these can worsen the operation of the clutch. Ask your BMW Motorrad retailer for engine oils suitable for your motorcycle.

Or Castrol at the same spec above.

With oil I've always been fine on the manufacturers' suggested brands, motorbikes can be sensitive regarding clutch operation etc. Remember the saying 'buy cheap buy twice'. Although Castrol is not particularly expensive, certainly less than $20/litre.

You can order an OEM oil filter online from a dealer, it's about $14 - example

I have all servicing done by my BMW dealership as I live in the middle of London and have no facilities to do my own. For the record, the F800GS costs half for servicing compared to what Honda used to charge for my previous bike.
  6. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't sound bad. Thanks to all for the advice.
  7. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride an F800, and live on the Kenai Peninsula.
    Don't let the proximity of dealership bother you any.
    Things like tires, drive chain, sprockets, oil filters, etc are easy enough to source.
    The F800 will tote you around Alaska with no problem.
    Mine gets 56 miles per gallon on the paved roads, and 60 to 64 MPG on gravel.
    Valvoline markets Motorcycle rated oils, you can get them at NAPA, CARQUEST, Oreilleys, etc.
    The nice people that sell you the bike will be happy to sell you a sack full of oil filters.
    If you need to read trouble codes, stop down to Homer.... GS911 is usually close at hand.
  8. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    it's one of the easiest bikes to maintain. Oil etc is changed in 20min tops and you can buy oilfilters for 11€ of the internet. I did put a permanent airfilter in and off you go. Even if stator, clutch or something fails it's really easy to fix it yourself. I put 10w-40 oil in it. 21€ for 4 liters. I've put 34000kms on it since june 2012 and love it each day a bit more. :eek:)
  9. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    Oops, guess I should update my profile. My company sold all of our stuff in Alaska and transferred me to Wyoming.
  10. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    You will love the F800GS in Wyoming.... probably love the F800GS Adventure even more...

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and no woman is present to here him,..
    Is he STILL wrong?
  11. wyobohunter

Oddometer:

I think so too :-)

Convinced the wife I need one (and promised to install a lowering kit on the WR250R for her). Just gotta come up with the money... Anyone want to by a Polaris Ranger Crew?
  12. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    Well, the Ranger gets a new home tomorrow. Now it's crunch time on picking between the standard and adventure versions.

-I'd say most of my time is spent on dirt/gravel (50-60%).
    -I'll be taking the occasional 560 mile round trip (probably 5-6 per summer for work).
    -I spend a bit of time on easier single track type stuff on my current ride an will likely continue to do so on the new ride if possible.

I really don't want to do a bunch of add on stuff, I'd like the extra range of the Adventure and I'm leaning toward that but.

Are the extras worth the money?
    Will the additional weight be noticeable on single track?
  13. Metalsapo

Metalsapo R.E. Ordoñez

Oddometer:
    Get it used, any 800 cc BMW is way better than a car, jajajajjajaja, and just have in mind that is a heavy bike, and also with time you will be investing in comfort, wind shield, pegs, luggage, electronics, and going farther and farther.
  14. chris73

chris73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the f800 because it was the lightest adventure bike I could two up. I also wanted to off road and gravel ride. To me, if you are going single track I would get the f800 over the gsa. Must have add ons for your riding would be skid plate and probably crash bars. Plastic is expensive. I wish I would have bought a better pannier rack to protect the rear during a get off. I have vario racks and a nice dent on my muffler and scratches on the tank. The tank hasn't cracked yet.
  15. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    I'm buying new...

I'm going to look at the dealer Tuesday, they have one GSA and several GS.

After talking to the salesman a bit he has me leaning toward the standard GS because of most of the riding I do. I'll see then.

Thanks all
  16. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me its the perfect combo. I do ride the WR daily for short trips less than
    100 miles, WR feels Like 1/2 the weight of F800GS.

Atlanta to Seattle last year and I actually prefer the F800 over a former 1200GS.
    See a nice dirt off road trail, take it. Would not do that on the 1200, due to weight and expense.

Service on F800GS: I buy oil filters from Autozone for 1/2 what beemer charges. Air Filters I buy on eBay. Only thing I don't want to deal with is valve adjustment and tire changes, I can do pretty much Any thing else..not rocket science. Valve adj and tire change ...take it in and wait for it.

Btw...as said plan on a $2,500 for a real seat, windscreen, rear rack and probably hard bags. I like my Jessie's.

F800GS Adventure...so little difference except weight....if I wanted a bigger bike I'd have stuck with the 1200GS. I do think you will find the F800 HOTTER on the legs than the WR250.

People all over the country buy the F800Gs's and find it too tall, or bike is not for them. I found one 7 days old 256 miles on the odometer (guy found it was too tall for him)....and i saved $2 ,000 off retail.

Like the F800Gs but love the little WR250R.
  17. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    I'll probably sell my WRR (jury still out). One less thing to maintain/license/insure. The WRR is fun for exploring but I find it underpowered for my 225 lbs when it comes to any serious obstacle and running 70 mph down the highway. not that I'll be hitting serious obstacles with the F800 (typically I trend toward challenging but not death defying), I should be able to ride it on the highway in hot weather without it running too hot like the WRR does.

If I ever decide I need a for real serious offroad bike I'll look into the Yam WRF (after wife's pulse drops to normal levels, she ain't exactly thrilled about the BMW).

It's just like I keep telling her when it comes to a new gun... "Yes, the last one I bought was the last one... As in the last one I bought", I don't know why that always confuses her ;-)
  18. wyobohunter

Oddometer:
    I pick up my new 2013 F800GS Tuesday, extremely excited!

Got the white one fully loaded with traction control, ESA, ABS (of course), centerstand, computer, heated grips, hand guards, Fastway pegs, SW-Motech engine guards, BMW skid plate, Vario luggage... And the dealer is installing the Continental TKC 80 tires at no charge (they'll keep the ones that came on it). Also had them throw $1,000 on the deal for riding gear. I've been wearing denim up to now and decided I better protect myself.

I put my WRR up for sale if anyone is interested.
  19. trail90man

trail90man Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chose the GS over the GSA. I find the bike to be bulky and heavy enough as it is, the extra bulk of the GSA doesn't appeal to me, not for a little added fuel capacity.

That being said, I think it's a minor difference. I would be tickled shitless with either. Especially if I were coming of a WR, riding that kinda mileage.