6 N.J. Guys Do The Ultimate Big Trailie Idaho Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Sep 13, 2006.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I had the idea of doing an epic big trailie adventure ride somewhere out west over a year ago while returning from a trip to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Nova Scotia</st1:place></st1:State>. You see, I'm from NJ and, while we do have fun DS rides here, the "epic" flavor is missing. I was looking for an adventure ride that could be labeled ULTIMATE: one that would take me and whoever else came with me over many miles in many days through breathtaking scenery. Oh, and I did not want to be behind any Winnebago's or see any "Cracker Barrel 5 Miles Ahead, Exit 12" signs. I would camp when needed and motel it when possible, but I would not make reservations anywhere. The slogan for the trip would be, "wherever we find ourselves, well, that's were we are." I did not want to be racing to make certain points or motels because we had reservations. Nope, been there done that. This time I wanted to ride without care as to where I would end up that night. We would be prepared for anything and would enjoy the ride and take our time, stop and drink it all in. So after a year of research, digging through the ADVRIDER (http://www.advrider.com/) archives, pm'ing every fellow from <st1:State><st1:place>Idaho</st1:place></st1:State> & <st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State>, and using Google countless times, I finally came to create my version of the "Ultimate Idaho Big Trailie Adventure". Now, before I take you all along with us on what was the best motorcycle trip I have ever be on (and Ive been on a few, I have to tell you how I developed the route. While sifting through the hundreds of hits I got on Google I came across this book called "<st1:State><st1:place>Idaho</st1:place></st1:State> Byways" by Tony Huegel. http://www.backcountrybyways.com/
    This was just what I was looking for! I first needed to make sure all these dirt routes were still open since this book was published a few years ago. So I called the publisher and the nice girl on the other end said, "Gee, that's a good question, why don't you just call the author and ask him yourself? I'll give you his number." OK, why don't I then; and so I did. When I explained to Tony that I wanted to ride a big trailie through remote areas of <st1:State><st1:place>Idaho</st1:place></st1:State> and <st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State> on as much dirt as possible he was very excited and said "if you give me a few days, I'll develop a route for you that will knock your socks off"! And boy did he ever! After months of converting Tony&#8217;s emailed route over to a Benchmark map, (www.benchmarkmaps.com) (recommended by Tony and the only map to have for this type of riding) and then a Mapsource file, we had what I hoped would be the ultimate route: one that would take us through the most spectacular, remote backcountry that Idaho had to offer; as well as into parts of Montana, Oregon and Washington. It would cover 2,400 miles in 13 days and be mostly offroad&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. Perfect. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    This report will take time to finish so just follow along as we post or make sure you subscribe to the thread if your interested. We have many photos of professional quality thanks to DK. So sit back and check in often while we take you along on what just may well be, the "The Ultimate Big TRailie Adventure" <o:p></o:p>
    The Crew:<o:p></o:p>
    Myself -KTM 950 ADV<o:p></o:p>
    Duane &#8221;DK&#8221; Kerzik - BMW 650 DAKAR<o:p></o:p>
    Joe "Gobi" Kuchinski- KTM 950 ADV<o:p></o:p>
    Jim Matarrazo- TRansAlp<o:p></o:p>
    John Pitts- XR650-L<o:p></o:p>
    Tim Slifkin- KTM 625<o:p></o:p>
    All of us from the Garden State of New Jersey (aka Joisey)<o:p></o:p>
    The Bivouac<o:p></o:p>
    After much research I found the best shipper out there bar none. Will Milby. This guy is as honest and reliable as they come. Will and his wife Lorrie provided as perfect a shipping experience as we could have asked for., Thanks Will you are an honorable man and I whole heartedly recommend you to anyone needing anything trucked. He can be reached at (willmilbybmwbld@aol.com )<o:p></o:p>
    Here are the weapons of choice being loaded in <st1:place>Jersey</st1:place>.
    Wills arrival at Jims house
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    The sisters secured for the 2400 mile trek to Missoula
    [​IMG]
    Heres Will double checking everything
    [​IMG]

<o:p>[​IMG] </o:p>
    And so Will takes off to meet us in Missoula. He will take his lovely wife Lorrie with him and they plan to stay in the Montana area and site see while we ride the backcountry.

Monday morning we meet at Newark Airport. None of us slept much the night before, like kids at Christmas !
    Heres a shot of Joe & I
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our Pilots, against the law to photgraph bridges but ok to photograph cockpits............hmmmmm
    [​IMG]
    Heres Jim "who you calling 70" Matarrazo
    [​IMG]
    Will calls me daily on his swift progress arcross the nation and here he is awaiting our arrival in Missoula
    [​IMG]
    And we get right to work gearing up. Will already had the bikes unloaded for us. Our plan was to go down rt.12 then take Elk Meadows rd. back out to 12 and camp close to the start of the Lolo Motorway. And thats just what we did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jim and Wills wife Lorrie
    [​IMG]
    The crew just before we take off on an adventure ride we will not soon forget.
    [​IMG]
    Myself on my 06 950
    [​IMG]
    Joe Gobi Kutchinski on his 05.5 950
    [​IMG]
    Tim on his KTM
    [​IMG]
    Jim on his TransAlp
    [​IMG]
    John-boy Pitts on his Honda XR650-L
    [​IMG]
    No DK because he is taking the photos, but he's on his BMW 650 Dakar
    And so it begins
    [​IMG]
    1st nights Camp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres DK. He would be or cook....no strike that, Chef for the trip. You will see later that we were not wanting for anything when we camped. This guy knows his stuff. We ate like kings in the middle of nowhere.
    [​IMG]
    Our backyard for the night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the next morning we pack up and head for the Lochosa lodge for breakfast
    Heres Gobi & I with the bad assed sisters ready to take on the best of the west. In fact Gobis 950 was so bad she had to be spanked later on in the trip by Motosports in Boise. More on that later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the Lochosa Lodge. Now see those fellas talking to me ? I'm telling you, everyone who saw us wanted to know what we were doing and could not believe it when we told them. Everyone wanted to come along if they could have of course. Sometimes we felt like movie stars ! We attrached folks curiousity everywhere we went.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And so we head off up Parachute Hill Rd to ride the Lolo 1st.
    [​IMG]
    We arrive at the head of the Lolo Motorway
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned, more to come soon.
    Oh, 1 more thing, see this below ? It would become a welcome site as the phrase "BOTTOM BLOW" would soon be adopted throughout the journey ! :lol3
    [​IMG]

Next up:

Stage 1
    Lolo Idaho to Darby Montana via the Lolo Motorway & the Magruader Corridor and some juicy sections in between. :thumb
  2. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
    Oooh! You guys got style.

:lurk
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Fantastic... I'm open to a ride like this next summer.. anyone interested in planning it, PM me!

Keep it comin' :thumb

:lurk
  4. Donkey_Kong

Donkey_Kong Banned

Oddometer:
    new brunswick, nj when not lost in the woods
    How could we be without "Kings Thrones." You could say they are, eh, fit for a king. What a fitting name when it comes to a botom blow.:lol3 :D
  5. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn that looks awesome! Next time you want some NYC company :evil
  6. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    I should mention for clarity the following ADV handles for the crew.
    TWOTEARS= DK
    BLACK TALON= Joe Gobi Kuchinski
    HARD HAT= Tim Slifkin
    JOHNPITTS01=John Pitts
    And I dont belive Jim has one as of yet.
  7. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Wait my city sliker friend, "you aint seen nothin yet" !
  8. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    looks good so far Frank - waiting anxiously for the rest! :lurk
  9. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oooo some day when I grow up I want to do a trip like this! :clap
  10. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    And we're off onto the Lolo Motorway. We plan to ride the motorway and stay in Kamiah that nite. About a 130 mile crossing. Magnificent is all I can say.
    [​IMG]
    OK, John takes a minor spill, the 1st of 6. Everyone had their share. Most just tipovers though, and I think we each had 1.
    [​IMG]
    Here's John enjoying life to it's fullest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At Rocky Ridge Camp
    [​IMG]

Now this was our first of many encounters with the trout in the Idaho backcountry creeks. I'm telling you they were at least 2' long ! Some were trying to jump up over that big log you see. Crystal clear waters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We pop out at Kamiah around 6ish and hole up for the night. $35 for a single bed room, not bad and we each take one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next morning we head south to Lowell and pick up a neat trail that allows only motorcycles to travel it. We making our way to Elk City then the Magruader Corridor.
  11. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks just rub it in some more :cry :rofl

The new pics looks awesome. I imagine this was one of those trips of a lifetime! 2400 miles sounds great especially off road. So how nasty did it get? Any trouble with the 950's?

12. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    first class trip all the way!
  13. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    On our way to that neat little trail along the Selway River?? Help me out here you Idaho riders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spongebob "World Traveler" is along for the ride.
    [​IMG]
    Yea, were flying high.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We make it to Elk City. We met 2 fellas on adventure bikes at the head of that trail. They told us it would take us 4 hours to reach Elk City and they just came from there.........we made it in 1.
    Here we are going in for lunch at the Elk Country Steakhouse. Excellent. We had the Elk burgers of course.
    [​IMG]
    Oh it was cold !!! Thank god for Gerbing :clap

If you get sick out here or hurt, this is the only medical facility. And you'll have to wait for the Doc to come in from elk hunting first. :D
    [​IMG]

After lunch we take off for the start of the Magruader Corridor or the Nez Perce Trail. Same thing. It will be about 130 miles untill we hit another town. Its now around 2pm and we know we will be camping tonight somewhere along the Magruader. We also know it's cold and will be colder tonight. We also know we are absolutly loving every minute of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Ah, the 950's. Well youll have to wait and see Grasshopper. and youll se soon enough !
    I would not classify anything we hit as nasty. I went out of my way in planning this to avoid "nasty". I knew we would be in remote country, far from help and home and could not risk my crew getting injured and halting the trip. It was just right, always changing and fun. You needed good offroad skills mind you or you would find yourself over a cliff. The terrain we rode was a perfect blend.
  15. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    I know I've ridden with you guys before but I forgot your names. Who is everyone by bike (that should be in a new thread "who the hell are you :D ")? What happend to your gs1200?

Looks like it was a great trip! Now, let's see some more pics!
  16. idahojoe

idahojoe shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    You guys are doing a fantastic job, you don't need any help.
  17. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Idahojoe, our savour ! More on you guys later on :thumb
  18. Adh007

Adh007 Needs to get back to work

Oddometer:
    Keep em coming.. :lurk

I want more Transalp pics! (How'd the 'Alp do?)
  19. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Now its here where gobi calls me over the Autocom and says " hey fuck flick, I think I lost my clutch"
    Holy flip ! we are near nowhere ! Elk City is no city, it's not even a town. We are screwed............maybe
    :eek1
    So, Jim and DK go to work on it and Tim runs back to Elk City for mineral oil.
    [​IMG]

and I assume the only position worthy of the ride captain.
    "can you boys keep it down to foghorn level" "
    [​IMG]
    The culprit
    [​IMG]

Well having the best crew paid off. DK and Jim got Gobi going again. A trailside bleeding is not excatly the best way to do it and his clutch action was not perfect, but we were on our way and Gobi was smileing again.
    [​IMG]

And here we are about halfway into the biggest roadless area in the lower 48. And it's getting late, and it's getting cold, and we are climbing. Yep, it starts to snow ! :eek1 In fact that is snow you see below in those pine limbs. We are looking for a camp.
    [​IMG]
    Its August 30th for crying out loud !!
    [​IMG]

We make camp at Observation Point. Its around 8000' ! What a view, priceless. Have you ever heard absolute silence ? We saw no one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While we made camp it was 35 degrees. Although no one was cold for some reason. We started a fire and dinner was served. However, it will get much colder overnight, how cold ? You'll see when I return my friends :wink:
    Good night !
    [​IMG]
  20. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dude, you can't stop now !!!!!!!!