Aldi super thread

Discussion in 'OZ Vendors & Flea Market' started by Mungo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Mungo

Mungo Monarch 53

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up. Self inflating mat on sale at Aldi from tomorrow 12th. June $24.99. At that price I'm going to buy two. Always good to have a spare. :D
  2. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Ahh kmart jobbies. They are great, unless sleeping in the cold. then you can enjoy the night freezing your arse off.
    Decided to invest in an exped downmat 9. Slept well for the first time south in the cold... the guys on the araluen ride can attest to that :D
    BergDonk likes this.
  3. Rossco

Rossco Cpt. Blue Coat

Oddometer:
    I don't mind aldi, but not sure i would trust them with a sleeping mat. I guess for $24 it's no great loss other than a potential crap nights sleep. i recently purchased a sleeping mat from Katmandhu for $39.00 (50% off sale). It's the best mat I have ever owned in terms of comfort (owned thermarests, etc in past).
  4. simmozoo

simmozoo n00b

Oddometer:
    For real comfort go the Exped 7 or 9. They are lighter than other comparable self inflating mats and more comfortable. The 7 or 9 refers to their height in cms. Not the 3 or 4 cms many cheaper self-inflating mats expand to. You can also get the Exped model which has some down inside to control heat loss from the cold ground below. Heaps better than my Thermarest Performance Guidlite self-inflating mat.
    I used my Exped down 7 from Canberra to Perth via predominantly dirt roads over a month and slept in comfort. The mat also folds up very small.
    BergDonk and GSnovice like this.
  5. KTMSprocket

KTMSprocket Skill Required Here

Oddometer:
    If its the type that rolls up and then is held by its own zip...don't buy it. I bought two about a year or ago, and they are crap. Ok for kids on a stretcher bed, but otherwise they are crap....IMHO of course.
  6. stevo

stevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any Aldi stores in WA? Cant see any on their website.
  7. Mungo

Mungo Monarch 53

Oddometer:
    A nice appraisal Ray. +1 to that. Got mine this morning as well. So far looks OK.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  8. Professor Longhair

Professor Longhair Free and easy.......

Oddometer:
    I agree, they are good value for the money you pay for them. I have had one for a while now and have used it a couple of times. You are right they are slippery and one of the trips I used it was on sloping ground and I did find myself slipping a little through the night. Perhaps I didn't have enough 'sleeping medicine' that night?

If you aren't expecting to get the same quality as the expensive ones you won't be disappointed and you won't feel so guilty when they sit in the shed for months between uses. And of course the lighter you are the better they will support you, sadly I am not what you would call light but all in all you get your money's worth.

However, I wouldn't choose one for the round the country endurance ride but seeing as there is little chance of me doing that at the moment, it will do just fine for the frequency of use that it does get.
  9. lockpoker

lockpoker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got one today, unwraped it & let it inflate for a good 1/2 hour .Hopped on & found the outer surface is not fixed to the inner foam.It balloons up at either end depending on where you put your weight,no good compared to my old thermarest. Anaconda has denali ones, normaly $100.00 for $29 this weekend at the penrith store grand opening.Think I will try one one of these & take back the Aldi one !
  10. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please put all Aldi stuff in here:

Just been to ALDI and picked up a 50mm self-inflating mat for $30.

Packet says all the right things and it appears to be excellent quality and reasonably comfortable.

Weighs approx 1.7kg and comes in 3 different colors.

Rolled size is about 200x600.

Worth a look if you ae in the market for a self-inflating mat.:clap
  11. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Bigem, have you tried out the mat yet?
  12. sharkey

sharkey XLV750R

Oddometer:
    IMHO they're rubbish ... the top and bottom aren't laminated to the foam core, and there's no internal walls, which means they kind of bulge up when you lie on them.

That being said, what was I expecting for $30? Not much.

-----sharks
  13. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    Could you please sleep on it to-night probably in the garage would be best.. and let us know to-morrow how it was, im going to aldi on monday and im worried the word might get out and they will all be gone by the time i get there. Thanks
  14. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    have you sleept on it sharks ????
  15. KTMSprocket

KTMSprocket Skill Required Here

Oddometer:
    If they are the same ones I bought 18 months ago...they are junk. Sorry - but they are. Now they are used in the camper trailer on top of the stretcher beds for the kids as 'padding'. They have no use in normal camping.
  16. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    OK but it would still be good if we could get Bigem to sleep on his to-night.
  17. Rossco

Rossco Cpt. Blue Coat

Oddometer:
    Arrgh just purchased one. Then after the deed came across this thread. I was going to use it as a replacement mat for my swag (foam mat very bulky). The 5cm thick inflating mats are generally over $100 so the $30 aldi mat was too tempting.

Hopefully better quality than 18 months ago, but probably not :cry
  18. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will spend some time on it tonight. I usually fall asleep in front of the box, so tonight I will already be lieing down and will see how it goes!!

It already feels better than the 50mm foam "thing" I have been using!!
  19. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    Some pickies would be nice . you may have noticed im partial to rubber suits.. :poser
  20. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    See if you slip off the bloody thing!
    I was in BCF yesterday and saw a copy of a Pelican Case for $30.It was harder material than the original and I would assume it had no guarantee like them either but for a cheap camera case it would be good.