So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    Would that be for airing-up your tires after you've aired them down? Or for after flats?
  2. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    I believe it weights about 3.x# more than a Leo Vince (silencer + pipe).

I, too, noticed that it did not have threadlock, but used blue Loctite on mine -- I had a Harley and learned to love Loctite. ;-)
  3. joe-dirt

joe-dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious if you moved it and if you had any words of wisdom for me before I attempt it.
    Thanks,
    John
  4. joe-dirt

joe-dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anything I need to know before I install my parabellum windshield? Should you use loktite (semi-perm)? I've just gotten mine in and am going to put it on for "love-bug" season here in Central Louisiana which is right around the corner. It's brutal-bugs everywhere copulating and then getting smashed on any moving vehicles.
    I've also experienced the heart-stopping intermittent starting issues and have been stranded twice due to this. At the shop (the second time I brought it back), they replaced the battery and the voltage regulator. I still have those starts where it'll turn for a brief sec, then seems to hang for an eternity, then starts turning again and my baby cranks. Very ffffreaky.
    John
  5. joe-dirt

joe-dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to say this forum is extremely addictive and very highly informative.:D
  6. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    I have not moved the brake line yet, but it is high on the freebie mod list. I got my used $20 tankbag today from a fellow inmate and while I had it apart to run the straps I noticed the airbox cover piece had to go. You definatly notice the noise and extra "spunk" right away.:D I also ordered up some purple PIAA bulbs that throw 125/135W of light from 55/60W of power. I probably would not have bought these but I had a gift certificate from Christmas that needed to be used. We shall see.
  7. plumber mike

Oddometer:
    Due to the high price of aftermarket exhausts, I will be doing some more research on cutting open the stock can and removing the cat and other restrictive pieces. Could anyone point me in a direction here or should I just pony up the $600+ and get a new pipe?

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the 5 watt parking bulb in the headlight assembly is?

Thanks all

Mike
  8. Olas

Olas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard about or seen anyone chopping the stock muffler and opening it up. If you're trying to stay low budget I think that it might be better to find a silencer from another bike/brand and modify it to fit the xcountry. The Leo Vince is only around $350 isin't?
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    An exhaust shop over here does the cat-cut to the standard exhaust for a 1/3 of the price of a Staintune etc.

Saves a bit of weight and reduces the heat in the pipe by heaps. It sounds a bit deeper and revs a bit quicker from the guy who had it done to his GX.
  10. 5Chord

5Chord No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer:
    The installation of the Parabellum was amazingly easy (Even for the technically challenged, which I'm a card carrying member). Because of the way the windscreen mounts, two things could put the kabosh on you: Larger headlight mod (I did this and had to put the stock light back on) and handlebar risers. Otherwise it's a 10 min job.

I didn't locktite any of the bolts as I plan on removing it when I do any serious off-roading. I think I'd slam my chin on the top of the screen blasting through technical trails standing on the pegs. Also, when I remove it, I'm going to spray the hardware (the shiny (cheap) looking bolts that attach to the bars) flat or satin black.

After putting a couple hundred miles on the screen, I find it noisy, but cool and it makes rotating my head (changing lanes) at speed much more comfortable than the OEM sport screen I got with the bike.

The "team of experts" At BMW of Manhattan are working on the starting issues of our beloved bike as we speak.........I'll post here any breakthoughs
  11. Dominus

Dominus WSMC#931

Oddometer:
    Catching up a bit here so perhaps all the issues have been solved with regards to the battery. Mine battery died shortly after I bought the bike...the dealership replaced it for free...I guess, this was a common thing for the 07's to have a bad batch of batteries. While it was being replaced they noticed too that my throttle cable was pulling rather tightly when turned full tilt. Turns out it was routed improperly so they went ahead and fixed that one for free as well. Anyhow, for what it's worth I thought I'd mention those things.

Also, a quick update...I'm still waiting on my Kenda tires. Seems like the 19" size was on backorder so I should be getting it this week hopefully, and as soon as I give them a spin, I'll let you all know what I think.
  12. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I just ordered up a set of the Kenda tires from my local guy. Parts-Unlimited is out of stock on the 19". They were supposed to be back in stock on the 5th, so we'll see. Looks like I shouldn't have posted up the idea here. All the xCountry guys are picking em up :lol3
  13. tankgirl

tankgirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi i'm new, and here's my bike. it rocks :D
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    i love riding it just as much as taking photos of it!​
  14. plumber mike

Oddometer:
    Welcome TankGirl. Nice set of wheels. Hope you like it as much as I do. The guys/gals here have been a huge help. Keep us posted on the highs,lows and upgrades to your new bike.

Mike
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    You got yourself a great bike. And a cool 1st post for you. I've been a member here for almost two years and I don't remember ever seeing a post with clickable photobucket thumbs. How'd you do that? PM me with your secret HTML shortcuts!
  16. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Actually, it happened the first time I went to refill after airing down for dirt. I was wondering if the compressor might drain so much juice from the battery that the starter wouldn't crank. Simple solution was to air up with the motor running. Wrong! I'm not sure what other systems are drawing juice through that same fuse but obviously something. Because I blew the fuse with the engine running, and the entire electrical system went dead.

I didn't blow the same sized fuse with the engine off. So the 15-amp fuse on the Powerlet circuit is actually OK for the compressor as long as the engine is off. Nevertheless, rewired the socket to run unswitched straight from the battery. Have now used my compressor three or four times (engine off) and the battery seems to be able to handle the drain just fine.
  17. 5Chord

Oddometer:
    Eureka.........They said the fix is a new battery........Which they haven't had in stock since at least last Saturday but promise to have tomorrow. I offered to bring them one but they said it was under warranty so I have to wait
  18. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    5Chord,
    Go get yourself a Yuasa YTZ10S Battery. Bring it to the dealer. No sense to wait because of a battery. It's crazy talk. Explain to them you NEED to ride :D

Andrew
  19. 5Chord

Oddometer:
    Alas, they seem to have no human emotions. Thank god I have a Yamaha TW-200 to keep me sane:D
  20. Duckfiz

Duckfiz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Completely stock, except I removed those stickers.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]