NomadGal's Year on the Road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NomadGal, Jul 8, 2012.

1. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Nomadgirl!
    I just love following your problem solving! I think it's good when you describe what and how you do things. The pictures and explanations help less experianced people do the same things on their bikes. Some people would never attempt the projects you have tackled. With a few pictures and explanations from people like you who are not afraid to try, it makes things easier.:D
    Keep up the good work! :clap:clap:clap
    Regards....just jeff
  2. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well you could always stealth camp he he he he
  3. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    I second that.:1drink
    It is really part of the charm of the report.
    :clap

Nomadgirl
    Sure you can say pooped. It is what motorcycles do to all of us once they crave for some affectionate attention.
    :rofl
  4. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beware of hardware store raingear. The thin stuff doesn't really hold up well in a 60mph wind....
  5. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Didn't get it at a hardware store but at an Academy sporting goods store.
    It was on sale and I think it's really good quality. Brand name says Coastal Conservation, and it's really marine gear.
    I think it should be sufficient, but will find out on Monday when I leave for Pharr :D
  6. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Finally found a campground that will accept tents! Yay! :D
    Not only is it 10 minutes from the Pharr Costco, but they are giving me a break for camping out there 12 days, $144.
    It's got showers and electricity, and I won't have to worry if my gear is still there when I get off work at 8PM.
    I only hope it's not too noisy!
  7. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Take it from me, the longer you stay somewhere, be it camping or just staying at a friend's or relative, the longer it takes you to pack up your bike! Holy cow! It took me forever to finally hit the road again this morning.
    The weather really wasn't looking too good, and the rain came down in huge spats occasionally, but by the time Spirit was all packed up, it looked like it might stay dry a while.
    Of course getting out of any huge city takes a while, so when I finally hit Hwy 35 going south, I breathed a little easier.

[​IMG]

The say looked gloomy, and I honestly did not see too much that I wanted to take a picture of.

[​IMG]
    I did want to see how fast I could get the camera started and take a shot. With this camera, very fast!
    Saw the cows in the trailer as I was passing them and thought, hey a funny pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That blue building is a hotel

I rode toward Corpus Cristy and checked my email at a McD
    I had heard back from SaltWindandFire, and called him to say I was near.
    Unfortunately we kept playing phone tag, and I decided to check out the free campsite off interstate 37.
    Other than noisy it is really a cool campsite, if you don't count the stray cats crawling around you tent, and inside your vestibule, looking for food.
    Shall I give them my leftovers????
  8. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    NO ! ! ! .. dear lord you'll be up all night with those flea-bags hounding you without mercy ..

... btw .. awesome trip and RR .. I look forward to reading your adventures .. keep 'em coming kiddo ..

.. also .. the Moose Racing front sprockets work great with an Eagle Mike's nut holding it on .. just sayin' .. I keep one in 14t, 15t, and 16t around and adjust accordingly to where I'm wandering .. fwiw, the 16t sucks on anything other than highway traveling with minimal hills ..

.. Ride Blessed young Lady ..
  9. _anatic

_anatic Plated

Oddometer:
    Hey Esther, :wave
    Looks like things are going your way, good luck in Prarr.
  10. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Thanks Shane! I'm excited!
  11. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Haha, sorry but I did, and quess what, they left me alone afterwards, and I did see them in the morning, but they didn't stick around. Mind you, the spicy Indian food might not have agreed with them....... :huh
    Yes I am noticing that she doesn't pull up that easy, but rides awesome at faster speeds. I also have less trouble with surging. Now how that is possible I don't know.
    Were my bad chain and sprockets causing the surging? or is having a 16 teeth sprocket making the bike rev less hence no more surging? It baffles me.....
  12. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. I agree .. with the 16T mine behaves the same way on the highway .. she'll run 700+ mile days without breaking much of a sweat and hums right along .. but when I hit "dem mountains" here in NC I become a down-shiftin' fool and the engine starts a-knockin' .. makes me worry (probably unnecessarily) about breaking a landing ..

.. keep sailing blessed .. hope to catch up and hear your tails of adventure someday ..
  13. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    After spending a rainy night at Nueces River park I woke up somewhat shrouded in fog again.
    It cleared fairly fast, but the sky remained gloomy.

[​IMG]
    Making my cup of coffee again (still haven't quit)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yeah, they came snooping again, but left again without bothering me or meowing

[​IMG]
    The things you can do with wax earplugs :lol3

[​IMG]
    took Hwy 359 to Zapata

I am a tad worried now, because I noticed that right in the middle of Hwy 359 was a road block set up for those going North.
    It looked like border patrol. I did not bring a passport (it expired) so I'm hoping a drivers license will do once I head North again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The further South I went the warmer it got! Yay, no more rain

[​IMG]
    view at Falcon Lake State Park

Now I do sometimes wonder why certain folks work at a state park. Some I feel never even camp.
    The girl behind the counter gave me site number 69, but she said I could look around for something better if I saw anything

[​IMG]
    Site number 69

[​IMG]
    Site number 54 right across it Hmmmm, maybe she thought I wouldn't like walking another 20 feet to get to the bathroom
    Right across the river is Mexico

[​IMG]
    Walking to the bathroom required going through a thorny path, but pretty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Falcon is a really nice Park, for just $11 a night, which included a nice hot shower.
    There was a butterfly park as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I've discovered that taking a picture of a butterfly is easier said than done, they tend to flutter away when you get near

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think this cactus is called a horse lamer or something like that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If I am not mistaken I think this is Tamarind

[​IMG]
    Overview of park.

I left Falcon pretty late, but only had an hour or so to ride to McAllen where Oleander campground is.
    Did not really see anything worth while to take a photo of. It was pretty congested in that area, and not really picturesque at all, which I had somehow imagined seeing as I was following the river Rio Grande. Most of the time I couldn't even see it!

I found the campground easily, and can sty there for almost 2 weeks for $150!
    It's worth it to me seeing as I won't have to worry about my stuff, and can take showers and wash clothes to stay presentable for the job.

[​IMG]
    I think I am the youngest person there!

Ran to Wallyworld to get a cheap styrofoam cooler, ice and some perishables, lol
    Seeing as electricity was included in the camp fee, I decided to buy a $3 light fixture and an extension cord, which I rigged up on the fixture.
    As I got out of there sunset had arrived.
    I had to do a double take,

[​IMG]
    Does a certain movie pop into your head?

[​IMG]

I took an awesome hot shower, and made my hanging light for in the tent. Awesome!
    Will post pic later

Today I spend all day in the Library, studying up on all the goal zero products, and printing info.
    Turns out I have to be there at 5 AM tomorrow to get set up.
    I actually have not a clue as to how long I'm supposed to work there, Costco's hours are 8 till 9:30, Hmmmm, that would be an awful long day!!
    Wish me luck everyone, and also Happy Valentine's day!! :raabia
  14. Range Rover

Range Rover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your RR. I'm from Tejas and miss it a bit. That cactus is called a "horse crippler" for apparent reason. There are lots of prickly things in South Texas, but fortunately, the folks aren't! Great pics and good story.
  15. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most, if not all Border Patrol checkpoints will simply wave us Moto-travelers through, or they'll ask you if you're an American citizen. No papers required.
  16. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Those cats don't look starved. More the Garfield type.:dg

Cause you like a butterfly, here's one from the wild:
    [​IMG]

Beware in the city of birds for the sound. That will be your cue...
  17. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    I continue to enjoy your RR. Continued effort toward refining your gear is noteworthy. Looks like you are ready to conduct a long-travel seminar at the next bike rally. :thumb
  18. B.B.

B.B. Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    NomadGal, I've been following your trip for many months now. Thank you for the insight into the freedom of traveling for traveling sake! I now realize I travel way too much on business to "smell the roses"!! I stay at this Holiday Inn Express in Port Lavaca about once a month! It is, by the way, in the middle-of-nowhere!! Too funny when I can pick them out simply from a picture!! Hence the 1.1 million H-I points I've racked up over the years........... Stay safe. BB
  19. hoggjaww

hoggjaww DOG ASS

Oddometer:
    You could give her some of those points. :deal just sayin :wink:

20. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Haha, yep, that would be heaven!