1977 R100/7 been sitting 20 years

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by onebadhp2, Feb 2, 2010.

1. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Ken, you're so mean.:evil
    Thanks for the tool, I got it today.,
    Robert
  2. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Looks like it has R60 carbs on it....?
  3. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Wasn't this bike just on here recently?
    Didn't I suggest ditching the crashbars and fairing mount and just riding it?
    Didn't someone agree with me?

Or, am I getting some deja vu?

Edit: Oh, it helps if I read..
  4. wirewrkr

Oddometer:
    It's actually an R60/7
    The only year the R60 had a disc brake form the factory.
    I STILL say it's a parts bike.
    Robert
  5. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Robert - there are two different bikes in this thread - one already owned and the other a possible purchase by the OP. The one pictured isn't the one this thread was started about.
  6. bmwhacker

Oddometer:
    Wow..... I am easily confused ....:jump ..I wonder if we'll ever get to see the bike that this thread is about? :lol3
  7. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    me too. i had to read things again. i guess i read "was it this bad" and thought it was "is this bad." now i think i have it figured out.

we definitely needs pics of the bike you're talking about.

8. wirewrkr

Oddometer:
    Now I get it but now I have a fuckin headache, I need n
    many drinks.
    Robert
  9. channelcat

channelcat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    three bones? 34k miles? Unless the crank is frozen, or the barrels electro pitted, it looks mostly sandpaper/blaster from here.
    Get one of those cheapo HVLP rigs from Harbor Freight and shoot the frame with PPG one part waterborne urethane. It'll last longer than rattlecan you can use it on the next one. Make sure the oil pump is primed before you turn her over. Great bike...I have some surplus chrome steel tubing for the crossover pipe. Works fine..not as heavy as oem, but not $50, either.

T
  10. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    damned shame the OP hadn't got an answer on this yet. :1drink

Host your pic someplace (smugmug/photobucket etc... it's free for starters at either site, with a limit to mb used) then put the URL for the image into your post here, between "tags" like this: [​IMG] and when you preview the post you should see the picture. Sometimes when you do this, it'll pop up as a little red x in a box for everybody - that's because the site you used doesn't support links to its site - you won't have that problem with these two (smug/bucket) but then again, YMMV.

Now post-up! :thumb

Oh yeah, and you can find info in the "ask baldy..." thread. :razor :baldy
  11. bmwhacker

Oddometer:
    Here............let's add my archeological find of today .........we'll have more of a choice of "rust buckets" to study.....that'll keep us busy until "Will The Real R100/7, Please Stand Up":lurk ( I'll be sharpening up my knives as this will likely end up on the "Butchers Block"? )

[​IMG]
  12. Sidmariner

Sidmariner n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell us what ultimately happened to the old beauty, subject of this thread?

I am five months into a major restoration of an R100/7 that looked nearly as bad. From the photo I would say the bike is definitely a diamond in the rough. If you look beyond the the non-stock bolt-ons, like the crash bars, and imagine them gone you are left with a bike that doesn't appear so bad. At least it doesn't appear to be leaking anything or have any major structural damage.

No doubt, the restoration might be expensive. I am into mine ("before" pictured below) for $5K already, after picking it up for $1500 (Cdn), but I have never had so much pleasure in a hobby as bringing my find back to life. I'm striving to have my bike back on the road in May, in time for the "Ride for Dad" in Victoria. http://www.motorcycleridefordad.org/vis/

I am already keeping my eye out for the next project, and envy you guys who are finding them for under $1000.

[​IMG]
  13. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the sweet spot for purchase is about $1500 or so...at that price, it's a practical thing to put a couple grand into a restoration, but the bike is pretty sound...that is, assuming that one is good a knowing what she/he's looking at, and making sure they pay what the bike is worth and no more than that...I bought mine for $1940, and I think that was a great price, having participated in a couple of forums since I bought it in August of 2009... The guy originally wanted $2800, but I waited three weeks or more before I made contact...at that time, he was a lot softer target....oops, did I just say 'target'?
  14. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    This is what I was getting at - the difference between hunting for a deal and doing right by a deceased friend and his widow. I'd shoot for the higher side of the price range to help a friend.
    edit - different thread? :nod linky oops!
  15. Yarddog

Yarddog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In terms of helping a friend, in my opinion, you're in the right ball park by payin' what it's worth...and only that...otherwise, that trashy old machine is a liability, and the widow has to find somebody to haul it away, and may even have to pay to have it done, so really, it's a liability right now...not a marketable commodity at all, so if you pay a coupla three hundred bucks, that's money to the good...and maybe a little more...something to think about...
  16. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    craglist WA. has had them on and off for 1 to 2 grand . cheaper then bc by long shot. Down side your need your passport to ride over to take a look.
  17. Bones181

Bones181 bones Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi

I've got a complete front end from my 77" R100/7 , needs rebuilt but no rust and very clean, the under tank master cylinder w/ with SS hose, pipe clamps and brake cable. Other items as well, lets talk. Dean