Why Hd???

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by VegasVinny, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Fireball

Fireball Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Oddometer:
    You must've hit it with some speed!

Cool story!
  2. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:

Not much convincing needed. No one really has to talk someone into buying a cruiser let alone a Harley. And "these riders" you speak of... My friend Jim has a screamin eagle vrod, absolutely lovely ride. He's had it well over a year and has about 2000 miles on it. Is he a poser? Nope... He races go carts, tinkers on a roadster project and builds houses when he's not doing contract work for me. He has no free time. Others I would say just "wanted" to have a harley. That doesn't make them a poser.

"Hey, you hardly put ANY miles on that cadillac... you are so FAKE" "Hey, have you not used those new tools I bought you for fathers day? .. you are so a poser dad and not hands on...fake"

p.s. its ok you don't "get it"... just be glad alot of others do because cruiser money is research and development so you hardcore folks that look like you are humping your bikes have decent machines.

Peace out
  3. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the link to the Iron Butt web site that shows how many of each kind of bike has done a Iron Butt ride. You can't even get on the list until you have done at least 1000 miles in under 24 hours. Sure are a lot of Harleys on that list. Plus a lot more that did the ride in 2006.
    http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/rideslogin.cfm
  4. ed_in_az

ed_in_az Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've owned 4 street bikes, a Yamaha, a Suzuki, and 2 Sportsters. The Suzuki was the only Sportbike. I have too many old injuries and I'm just too old to be comfortable on a Sportbike. A cruiser is what I need for comfort and enjoyment and the Sportster not only fits me perfect but I love their looks. I also love the rythmic exhaust note and wide torquey powerband starting at idle. That rumble that's sounds offbeat listening to one pass is magically smooth while aboard the bike.

I've done plenty of 200-300 mile days in the saddle, both solo and with my wife. For me it isn't about going as far as I can though. It's enjoying the scenery and the time spent with my wife and friends. Doing 500-1000 miles in a day is nothing I'd want to do. I like traveling through beautiful country and taking pictures of it too. A 1000 mile day leaves very little time for anything other than hanging on. If slowing down to smell the flowers makes no sense to you, well it does to me. THAT is probably why I appreciate an HD. While sometimes I do ride for the adrenaline rush at 100mph+, more often I ride to relax and unwind.:D
  5. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    :poser
  6. Kamakura Kid

Kamakura Kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brunei! Wow, brings back some good memories. Like zooming around in a souped up Mini Cooper (original version) with my buddy Azmi.:D

Are you staying at the Sheraton Utama? Make sure you visit the fancy hotel out on the coast, I forget the name but it is just amazing.

Before you leave, have some of your new found buddies take you on the ferry to Labuan (Malaysia) for some heavy duty partying.:1drink
  7. boulderbean

boulderbean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I did stay at the Sheraton Utama. I just got back. The trip was unexpected, the person slated to do the job gor hurt and could not make it. I left the US on 1 March and returned yesterday the 11th. I was playing catchup for most of the time I was there so I mostly just worked. But I did take Friday off and got to experience riding on the lefthand side of the road.
    Good place, great people, I had an excellent time and hope to go back some day when I can spend more time.
  8. Scary Mc

Scary Mc Resist Much. Obey Little. -Whitman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't do long days in the saddle. I only spent 1300 miles and 20 hours from Grand Junction, CO to San Antonio, TX (really bad rain and wind in the Texas Hill Country and stupid me w/o a windshield) on my Super Glide Saturday and Sunday.

Cruisers are for poseurs.:deal
  9. Kamakura Kid

Oddometer:
    Well, next time you'll already know about going to Labuan. Did you get a chance to go on one of them little fast speedboats out to the village on stilts?

Where did you go on your ride? I liked leaving from the Utama, through downtown BSB to the water, then left to go up the road along the shoreline. Absolutely marvelous.
  10. boulderbean

boulderbean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was picked up at the Sheraton and we went north out of the city to the dealer which is in Berakas. We picked up the Sportster I rode and headed back towards BSB, took a round about way stopping by the National Stadium and then by a house where one of the guys I was working with lived.
    Back in BSB we went to the farmer's market along the river, just down the road from the Sheraton. We took the left you mention (first we went by the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque). We followed the coast out to Serasa Beach in the Muara area.
    We then headed back to Berakas for lunch, finally the dealers and then back to the Sheraton.
  11. Kamakura Kid

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great ride. Never ridden a bike in Brunei, unfortunately. I was stationed in Singapore at the time and that's where my bike was.